Extended OCI is so Hard!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy, just write the mileage to change at on the sticker, nothing else. Give it a few months and you will forget what the starting mileage was. Plus you can just keep watching that sticker and comparing to the odometer. It's kinda like waiting for your birthday when you were a little kid.

Originally Posted By: Snoman002
Easy, just write the mileage to change at on the sticker, nothing else. Give it a few months and you will forget what the starting mileage was. Plus you can just keep watching that sticker and comparing to the odometer. It's kinda like waiting for your birthday when you were a little kid.

If you switch to a yearly schedule, then you literally can do this on your birthday (or your car's birthday), rather then a mileage.

Last edited:
I change oil once a year
My car gets it in May and my truck gets it in Oct.
I use good oil and filters so mileage is of no concern.
My issue is my truck oil change is getting close and I have 100 QTS or so in my stash.
I can do a change picking from 6 different brands.
MaxLife
Proline
Smitty's
Castrol
Peak
Ultra
I have the filter pucked:Baldwin
I'm leaning towards the Castrol Synblend which I've never used before.
Don't know for sure until I do it.
Decisions decisions.

Meanwhile I'll keep changing the oil somewhere between 2500 and 3500 miles
depending on the color of the oil. Can't stand dirty oil in my car's engine.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Meanwhile I'll keep changing my oil somewhere between 2500 and 3500 miles
depending on the color of the oil. Can't stand dirty oil in my car's engine.

It's not dirty, your mind is
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
My 07 Maxima is at 8100miles on a fill of M1 EP 5-30 with a Fram Ultra. So far I haven't had to add any oil....very nice. But I'm starring at the odometer and truly jonesin to change this out!! I'm going to go 10k and do analysis. It's not easy!!!

I got myself to 5k and then to 8k oil changes, 10k is a whole new beast to conquer.

Wow, 10k miles! That seems incredibly long. I have gone close to 4k do to lack of paying attention and I thought I must have caused much wear toy engine.

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
My 07 Maxima is at 8100miles on a fill of M1 EP 5-30 with a Fram Ultra. So far I haven't had to add any oil....very nice. But I'm starring at the odometer and truly jonesin to change this out!! I'm going to go 10k and do analysis. It's not easy!!!

I got myself to 5k and then to 8k oil changes, 10k is a whole new beast to conquer.

Wow, 10k miles! That seems incredibly long. I have gone close to 4k do to lack of paying attention and I thought I must have caused much wear toy engine.

4k is too short in my 6.8L V10 hauling 12,000 pounds.

Originally Posted By: LotI

Really, do you go 10k miles too?
I just never thought you were supposed to drive so long without changing oul. I thought 3k miles is the limit

Originally Posted By: LotI

Really, do you go 10k miles too?
I just never thought you were supposed to drive so long without changing oul. I thought 3k miles is the limit

Welcome to 1960! Troll?

My van goes 5k. Honda happily changed at 10k+. The bikes go 4k miles.

Lol, I wanst even thought of yet I'm 1960.
I bet that was a good time to be alive though. What is the question you mean to ask "troll"? My name is shawnt if that was a guess at that lol.
I just have always changed oil at 3k cuz that's what my PA did and my siblings and friends too.

Lol, I wanst even thought of yet I'm 1960.
I bet that was a good time to be alive though. What is the question you mean to ask "troll"? My name is shawnt if that was a guess at that lol.
I just have always changed oil at 3k cuz that's what my PA did and my siblings and friends too.

Best advice for today's world is follow your owners manual, not what happened in the past.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I never have really looked at the owners book but I always keep them to have when I sale the car lol.

3000 mile oil changes are an old obsolete way.
Oils are much better now than 15-20 years ago when 3k was the time to change the oil.
You are new here so read up on the different oil info available here.
Rule of thumb:
Conventional oil-5000 miles
Synthetic oil-10000 to 15000 miles
I grew up on 3 months or 3000 miles but have since learned alot

Extended OCIs is easy for people who don't change their own oil.
I think all these 5000 through 15,000 mile OCI people are just that.

Really?

Huh? I have never heard such an illogical conclusion.

Anyways...

OLM on my G8 had me go 10,250 miles last round. Well, in reality a little more since I changed it at 11%. UOA came back fine, a touch higher aluminum, but hardly out of line. Certainly could have gone farther considering the OLM is designed for conventional. I could go 1 year, but it runs so long just following the OLM I will just let the light tell me when to change it. Plus, with 3 cars running a wide variety of miles it's just easier to change it when they tell me instead of trying to remember 3 dates (rather NOT change oil on my birthday).

To each their own on when to change, but 3k really is short. Today's material are much better, manufacturing tolerances are much better, and oil is much better. Check, my 99 Bravada recommended 7500 iirc.

Last edited:

What about guys who go over 15k and have a UOA to prove it?

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
My daily driver specs 7,500 mile OCI from Ford, so that's what I run, but I find myself getting antsy around 6,000 miles - Not because I don't think the oil and filter can handle it, but more because I just want to do it.

It may sound odd, but I enjoy the process of the oil change. It's sort of therapeutic for me, getting up Saturday morning, getting the car up on the ramps, pulling out the tools, getting under the car and going through the whole process of changing the oil, inspecting the engine compartment, etc..

.. is it just me?

Im with you. I can usually hold out to 7-8k on the Silverado and the OLM is at like 30%. I just can't wait any longer. I enjoy changing the oil and inspecting everything.

Im the guy who services the differentials every 50k, the transfer case once a year, and the transmission every 25k miles.

I just hit 50k and im already chomping at the bit to change the coolant out and replace the PS fluid with new.

My vehicles are probably over serviced, but all my family and friends always comment on how great my vehicles run and drive. I keep my stuff nice, and i don't feel guilty about it. I recycle my oils.

I wish everytime I bought a used vehicle I could buy it from someone like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back