how come exhaust leaks can cause a tapping noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exhaust gas flows in pulses. I always though a tapping exhaust leak was usually at the manifold (near the cylinder exhaust port, gas only flows out when the valve is open).

Originally Posted By: buck91
Exhaust gas flows in pulses. I always though a tapping exhaust leak was usually at the manifold (near the cylinder exhaust port, gas only flows out when the valve is open).

Right. this is my understanding too. Tapping noise near the exhaust manifold can be an exhaust leak. The further away from the manifold the tapping noise is, the less likely it will be a leak causing it.

Mid 2000's GM 5.3L motors like mine are unfortunately known for this problem. According to two mechs I've spoken with, if the ticking is not a sticky lifter, it most probably is a result of cast iron headers loosening over time from the aluminum block. Different expansion rates over time apparently loosen the header just enough to "puff" and tick. The last guy I spoke to was right in the middle of replacing the header bolts on a Trailblazer.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Mid 2000's GM 5.3L motors like mine are unfortunately known for this problem. According to two mechs I've spoken with, if the ticking is not a sticky lifter, it most probably is a result of cast iron headers loosening over time from the aluminum block. Different expansion rates over time apparently loosen the header just enough to "puff" and tick. The last guy I spoke to was right in the middle of replacing the header bolts on a Trailblazer.

All LS engines from that time. I'm chasing what I hope is an exhaust leak in the 04 below. New manifold bolts when the reman was installed 25k ago so that's not the problem. Need to get into it this weekend.

I usually pull the manifold off, spray it and the head with copper RTV and put it back together with no ill effects. Haven't had one come back doing things that way.

Funny we run LS style engines to 500k miles and never touch the manifold bolts.

I guess most folks wouldn't like that tapping/pinging sound from a hot big block with thin walled headers and a quiet exhaust....

Is it always the exhaust manifold that causes it? What if the exhaust pipe itself has a leak? Does that cause tapping too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back