Question - ATF instead of Motor oil in engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just checked some of the BITOG sources of information, to see how popular "knowledge" would affect this decision.

University 101 (Chap 1) posits that engines are designed for a "thickness" of 10. The redline ATF shown has a "thickness" of 10 at 85C (185F)

So I guess it meets that criteria.

It's 62.5 at "room temperature", which still makes it 6 times too thick to lubricate at room temperature, but more than twice as good (only half as bad ??) as the quoted engine oil.

Chap 2 mentions VII, this has a VI of 198, which I'm pretty sure means VII added...but Chap 2 also says that they don't wear out, so that's probably OK.

Chap 2 mentions that oils don't wear out, they have to be discarded due to thickening. ATF, with a KV100 of 7.5 clearly has much more "thickening reserve" than a typical engine oil.

Chap 3, hmmm...it's synthetic, so it doesn't need VII, scrap second last point.

It survives up to Chap 4, where it's the engine ratings that are important.

But as others have stated in other threads, on other lubes without particular certifications, we don't "KNOW" that it wouldn't have passed those engine test if it were applied to them...it's the basis of a lot of recommendations on this site, particularly with oils that are SN/GF-5 only being recommended for Fords et al, because you simply can't prove that lack of approvals mean it wouldn't pass.

Guess t's back in the race, absence of approvals isn't proof that it wouldn't pass.

And finally, the oil pump relief closed at operating temperature...pretty sure that ATF would excel in that facet of lubrication.

So I'm starting to consider that ATF might be the ideal solution to engine lubrication.

Not sure what to make on all this TBN, Zn, P, HTHS, Noack, TEOST, SeqIV etc. that seem to obfuscate the real issues of lubrication.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
When I was younger I used ATF to clean the carbon from the tops of my pistons. Just pour it into the carburetor slowly while keeping the engine from stalling. And, it makes A LOT of smoke, but cleans the top end!
thumbsup2.gif

So will water.

Yep. There is water injection.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
That straight up sounds like a really stupid idea and I don't know why you all are even discussing it...
confused.gif

Well what's wrong with discussing hypotheticals or asking about what could/would happen, especially when there is a sizable population who actually does such a thing? The OP did state (s)he had no plans on doing this. Each chemical is formulated for a specific function. The functions of engine oil and ATF are quite different, but they do share some commonality.

Don't try this.
It will ruin your engine.
Auto trans don't operate like an engine.
I have often wondered what would happen if I ran pancake syrup instead of engine oil since they are about the same color.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I would never run it 100% in the sump but a quart in place of motor oil works, and is not wives tale at all. My father, my grandfather and myself included have done this with engines that had noisy lifters and gummed up internals. I owned several 2.8 and 2.9L fords with the dreaded lifter ticks, guess what? a QT of ATF fixed 95% of it! ATF is OIL! its just dyed red and sure it doesn't possess the qualities of motor oils but it may surprise you how well it works.

So if it is oil and doesn't possess the qualities of motor oil, what does it do?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

So if it is oil and doesn't possess the qualities of motor oil, what does it do?

That's pretty much exactly what this thread is asking..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back