You're screwed if doing oil changes is a hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't stick to one oil for long, get the itch to change oil and try new types to see if you'll notice any difference.. Are cars inherently boring on oil (the point) on purpose?

I notice far more difference when changing ATF brands vs oil brands.

How so? I am not disagreeing at all. I am just curioous about your ATF changes and what differences you notice. Sounds like an interesting observation to me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Try some of those oils flagged by the PQIA. That will give you some excitement in your life.

lol, good point

I can verify this and state it surprised the [censored] out of me.

My transmission is an Aisin Warner 70L (3 speed with O/D & lockup) in a 4 cylinder Volvo. It's basically a Toyota A34D. It's 26 years and 450,000km old and apparently has lived an easy life as I'm told they only generally live 350,000km.

I recently did a switch between Maxlife & standard Castrol Dex III and noticed it significantly firmed up the shifts, but additionally it moved the shift points. Converter lockup is now about 7KM/h earlier, and I had to actually loosen off the kickdown cable to get the shift pattern close to where it was (which was lazy and economical). I can't actually get it where I like it as I've run out of adjustment.

The Maxlife was about 25 months old and was installed with a complete cooler line fluid flush. The shift performance over those 25 months was basically un-changed as I spent a long time tweaking the kickdown cable to get it where I wanted it.

I had to pull the pump out to fix a leak on one of the retaining bolts, and in the process completely drained the transmission & converter. I could not get Maxlife on the shelf, so I went with the standard Dex III.

Changing the fluid significantly altered the transmissions behaviour. I like the crisper shifts, but I'm not a fan of the altered shift points.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Try some of those oils flagged by the PQIA. That will give you some excitement in your life.

lol, good point

Someone has to take one for the team...

If needlessly changing fluids is a hobby I think its time to seek another hobby. My personal opinion of course.

It is possible to percive several different characteristics with different fluids, I experimented with brands and viscosities before settling on what I subjectively deem to be the 'best' from an NVH and butt-dyno perspective.

50/50 MT90 and MTL in the gearbox
5w30 street formula in the sump

Took a couple of years of experimenting but I won't change as long as I keep the car - some ratio of viscosity to friction modification seems to be the sweet-spot and I feel like I've found it!

I notice the shifts feel differently depending on the ATF I use..

Unless the ATF or oil is the wrong viscosity or weight, you aren't going to "notice a difference". It is all in your head.

As long as the oil and ATF meets the recommended viscosity and type, your car won't care.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
If needlessly changing fluids is a hobby I think its time to seek another hobby. My personal opinion of course.

The only hobby I engage in that involves repeated changing of fluids is my propensity to want to try drinking all sorts of different beers. Lots of fluid changing going on with that!

Can't stick to one oil for long, get the itch to change oil and try new types to see if you'll notice any difference.. Are cars inherently boring on oil (the point) on purpose?

I notice far more difference when changing ATF brands vs oil brands.

Actually I doubt your getting much "screwing" in if changing oil is your hobby....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back