Wix Filter for BMW 2002 325i ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used Wix Filters (No. 51223) for 6-7000 miles in a BMW 2002 325i ? I've never used Wix filters in the past and am planning on it. I usually use Mann filters. Any advantages ?

For this application specifically, I have yet to find a filter that offers any advantages over OEM Mann or Mahle/Knecht. Besides, Mann filters are very reasonably priced. Are you finding the Wix replacements for a lot less? If not, I really don't see why you'd want to use them.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
For this application specifically, I have yet to find a filter that offers any advantages over OEM Mann or Mahle/Knecht. Besides, Mann filters are very reasonably priced. Are you finding the Wix replacements for a lot less? If not, I really don't see why you'd want to use them.

There's an oil package at O'Reilleys with Belgian Castrol and a Wix filter option. I just wanted to get the Castrol 0W30 but maybe I'm just as well off using the Castrol 0W40 (which I have a bit of but no 0W30) and skipping the Wix filter ? Any thoughts ? I do like Mann a lot and trust it.

If you're set on using Castrol, I'd just get the 0w-40 in 5qt jugs from Walmart and then buy Mann filters separately - typically around $7 online including shipping.

Also check with O'Reilly on this, but sometimes the cartridge filters are excluded from these deals because they are often a lot more expensive.

The European Mann and Mahle filters for this application are reasonably priced on Rock Auto. No need to look for a lower cost alternative, IMHO.

Bonus, there is a Rock Auto 5% discount code thread in the "Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions" section.

That said, Wix would be on my shortlist of alternatives I might consider, if I had to.

If you're set on using Castrol, I'd just get the 0w-40 in 5qt jugs from Walmart and then buy Mann filters separately - typically around $7 online.

Actually, I been thinking of trying other oils like Mobil 1 or Lubromoly or Pennzoil - any thoughts ?

Originally Posted By: KevinV
Actually, I been thinking of trying other oils like Mobil 1 or Lubromoly or Pennzoil - any thoughts ?

As long as they carry the same specs (like BMW LL-01), they are all pretty much equivalent, in my opinion. You'd be splitting hairs trying to differentiate between them. So, either toss a coin or just buy whatever costs less and is more readily available.

I've used both Pennzoil and Castrol in mine. Couldn't really tell them apart.

Originally Posted By: KevinV

As long as they carry the same specs (like BMW LL-01), they are all pretty much equivalent, in my opinion. You'd be splitting hairs trying to differentiate between them. So, either toss a coin or just buy whatever costs less and is more readily available.

I've used both Pennzoil and Castrol in mine. Couldn't really tell them apart.

Thanks as always for the good advice.

Like others have said, stick with the Mann, Mahle, Hengst or Bosch filters. However I'm sure WIX makes one and is good as well. In my '98 M3 I've used a bunch of different oils... never noticed any differences. I've used Lubromoly, Pentosin, CAM2, Rotella T6 and NAPA 5W-40. As well as Rotella T 15W-40.

The OEM filters are usually about 50% cheaper through the Worldpac group than the equivalent Wix. For the F-150, the Wix has an unbeatable price of $4.99. I was paying less than that, though, for Mann, Mahle, German Bosch, and so forth for the Audi.

Stay with the Mann/Mahle filter options if you can.

Try Amazon and then buy your oil at Walmart.

But Wix is the only domestic commercial filter I would trust in a euro application.

Unless they are German built, the FRAM and Purolator options are a [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back