What oil to use if towing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Americans like to think they need a truck to tow anything.
This is the listed capacity for my little VW GTI.

108b700.jpg

This is a post from someone that has obviously NEVER towed or hauled anything more than a storage tote in their back seat.

Wow, a whole 1650lbs!!!!! The trailer alone probably weighs 400lbs, so now you are down to 1250lbs. Does the "little VW GTI" even have a trailer hitch?

One of the big reasons to "have a truck" is the bed.

The dart's older/nimbler brother is rated to tow 2860 pounds braked with even the smallest engine... but the dart isn't rated for towing?

1000 lbs isn't going to get you very far anyway...

I used to use a Civic to pull a decent sized boat. More than 800 pounds. Mostly flat ground however. If you're not dumb and don't drive too fast I wouldn't worry. But then again you're running an auto and a different car. It would really depend on how steep the inclines are but I'd be most worried about braking, personally. Your tranny will be fine if you don't let it go into OD and slow down and kick it down a gear manually if it shifts in and out repeatedly.

Yeah, as I just read above, on my trips to Europe people pull decent sized campers with small cars (an Impala is bigger than most of their "pickups"). Pretty much everyone where I live in the U.S. has a truck. I ask, "why not buy a car?" Because I get questioned for having a small car. They say, "I hunt." I say, "so do I." But it was very funny when, last year, I was pheasant hunting on public land and the sheriff stopped at my car, walked around it, radioed, sat in his car, then another sheriff came, they chatted, looked at my car again, I walked out of the thick brush below and they said, "is this your car?" "Yes, why?" "Oh, we thought it was dumped here. We were just calling to get the owners phone number. Never seen anyone hunt in a Civic before especially down these roads." People in the U.S. are really pretty silly and wasteful.

800 lbs is not "descent sized boat"
I've got a descent sized boat and it weighs 3500 lbs.

An 800lb boat is a puddle jumper big enough for 2 people and a cooler and not much more.

Just sayin...

Bring your civic, lets go hunting

Just make sure you have a tow strap and stick close 'caus cell phones don't work
We silly American drive trucks for good reason.
I've had to drive to work in snow this deep.

Originally Posted By: meborder

Just make sure you have a tow strap and stick close 'caus cell phones don't work

+1, LMAO!!!!

Don't worry, he'd still have cell reception as the Civic wouldn't make it more than 100 feet off the paved road before becoming stuck.

An 800lb boat is a puddle jumper big enough for 2 people and a cooler and not much more.

Just sayin...

It depends how serious you are. I could take a friend or two with me. Also, most boats I see have 2 maybe 3 people in them. Waste of money to buy a huge boat. Unless you're trying to prove your manhood. Same with trucks. Yeah, you might have a job where you have to get to work no matter what. But most people I know that drive trucks have work called off in a blizzard. So a car would work just fine 98% of the time. I don't begrudge the farmers, construction companies, people living in very rural areas with snowy winters their 4wds but a lot of city slickers just looking cool that don't need trucks. Wasting our (yes, our) resources. If you need a truck, no harm. If you drive one because you think it's cool, you're a moron. Point being to this post, you don't need a 3500 Duramax diesel to pull a small UHaul trailer. And, if the weather is bad enough, many jobs won't punish you for staying home.

If you live in a rural area and encounter this often, you probably have good reason for a truck. Many people don't. If you chose to go hunting on this particular day I'll remind you my $15k Civic that pulls 32-40mpgs gets me around just fine 98% of the days in MN. IN FACT, I drove it after a 13 inch snowfall a few years ago to get to work. Didn't need a tow strap, although I have one. I also caught up with a relative hunting a few years ago on a rainy day. He went first down a section road that was pretty muddy...standing water in places. He used 4wd. I used FWD. Didn't need a tow strap then either. However, had he not been there, I probably would've walked in. I didn't have much confidence I was going to make it.

Originally Posted By: Yup

Just sayin...

It depends how serious you are. I could take a friend or two with me. Also, most boats I see have 2 maybe 3 people in them. Waste of money to buy a huge boat. Unless you're trying to prove your manhood. Same with trucks. Yeah, you might have a job where you have to get to work no matter what. But most people I know that drive trucks have work called off in a blizzard. So a car would work just fine 98% of the time. I don't begrudge the farmers, construction companies, people living in very rural areas with snowy winters their 4wds but a lot of city slickers just looking cool that don't need trucks. Wasting our (yes, our) resources. If you need a truck, no harm. If you drive one because you think it's cool, you're a moron. Point being to this post, you don't need a 3500 Duramax diesel to pull a small UHaul trailer. And, if the weather is bad enough, many jobs won't punish you for staying home.

So everyone that has a pickup needs to justify it to you as we are wasting Yup's precious resources? What about the people that drive $100K BMWs and Mercedes?

If you are happy with the economical girl's car, great. I'm happy for you.

But you're not in the 'burbs that have well maintained roads with a truck that never gets used as such.

I would have snows on the truck. Judging how the front bumper is acting as a plow, maybe a slight lift?

A few times, back when I lived at home and had the Taurus, I was going through snow that was up to the head lights and snow drifts that were over the headlights. Would have been a good time to have a 4x4!

Originally Posted By: stchman

Just sayin...

So everyone that has a pickup needs to justify it to you as we are wasting Yup's precious resources? What about the people that drive $100K BMWs and Mercedes?

The cost doesn't necessarily mean more resources. It just means you bought an overpriced vehicle. I'm very happy with my girls car. You don't have to justify anything to me. But if you don't use the full capability of your pickup more than 2% of the miles you drive, for your next car think of how much money you could save. Think of how much less gas and oil we could use if more people ditched their trucks and rented a truck when they needed one instead of driving one every day. Because most people's trucks rarely see more than a gravel road once in a while. It's their choice, but it's linked more to society and culture than an intelligent decision.

Last edited:

Just sayin...

Waste of money to buy a big boat? How about you come cross the Gulf Stream sometime with me. I'll drive a big boat, and you drive a little one.

Please name a small boat that has a generator, water makers, cabins, shower, and everything else necessary for extended trips on the water.

There's definitely a moron afoot here.

it's amazing the lengths people will go to in order to avoid admitting they actually know nothing about what they are talking about.

Just sayin...

The cost doesn't necessarily mean more resources. It just means you bought an overpriced vehicle. I'm very happy with my girls car. You don't have to justify anything to me. But if you don't use the full capability of your pickup more than 2% of the miles you drive, for your next car think of how much money you could save. Think of how much less gas and oil we could use if more people ditched their trucks and rented a truck when they needed one instead of driving one every day. Because most people's trucks rarely see more than a gravel road once in a while. It's their choice, but it's linked more to society and culture than an intelligent decision.

You don't have the slightest clue what most people use their trucks for because you don't know them and don't live with them.

Funny, I have seen a lot of "Americans are dumb" from people with an American location under their name.

What does it say about their intellect that they choose to live among so many dumb people? And how come they left their home where all of the smart people are?

My my, those Golf and Corolla tow rating are so impressive!

Haul this 12,500 lb. Boat and 1,800 lb. Trailer up that wet 25% grade with your Golf or Corolla.

Wow, guys. This OP asked about OIL! The forum this is in is about oil and the title of the thread is about oil. If you want to talk about how you shouldnt tow anything with a vehicle smaller than an f-150, how your incapable of driving a car in snow, how big your boat is or how most people only drive pickups cos their wimps start your own thread!
The op decided he was going to tow 1000pounds with his car and wanted to know what oil to use. How far you sail your boat has nothing to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back