Retirement planning- where are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
[SNIP] I was talking to my 16 year old about the 401(k) today when she was home from school. She got a prospectus from her job at Starbucks. I told her to put in at the very least enough to get the full company match when she turns 18. Don't leave the free money they offer on the table. Put it to work for her early, so it has time to grow.[/SNIP]

Sage advice and all too rare in this day and age IMO.

Originally Posted By: Crashbox
Originally Posted By: javacontour
[SNIP] I was talking to my 16 year old about the 401(k) today when she was home from school. She got a prospectus from her job at Starbucks. I told her to put in at the very least enough to get the full company match when she turns 18. Don't leave the free money they offer on the table. Put it to work for her early, so it has time to grow.[/SNIP]

Sage advice and all too rare in this day and age IMO.

I agree! I wish I had contributed the 5% to get the match when I was working hourly retail jobs in my youth.

Just checked my pension, it will be $5500 a month.... plus social security, IRA, 401K and voluntary pension. I'll also retire with 36 years on the job with the same company (thankfully). My wife also has the same retirement benefits.

I agree with fdgc27, max out retirement contributions and accept the fact you are middle class, budget and watch your spending habits.

Lots of cash poor folks near retirement age and complain they will be working till the die. Sure illness can cause a person to burn through their savings. Some retirement accounts are sheltered from bankruptcy creditors. Problem with many Americans is they don't worry about tomorrow, only concerned about today and they will deal with retirement shortfall when they 'cross that bridge'

On track.

Turned 52 last month. Will work until 65. Both working.

4 kids complete with college. 1 in college. 1 to go.

USN pension begins at 56. Wife's USN pension begins in a year. Save 20% of annual income for retirement. Saving an additional 20% of income in cash for some short-term goals. Have 6 months' income in cash.

Will use pension/work overlap to achieve a few personal/financial goals (like a new house) that have been deferred for several years while many, many big checks have been written to various insititutions of higher learning.

Portfolio in good shape (not worried about correction of last few days, in fact, a couple of limit orders hit yesterday afternoon and we added shares of good companies that were beat down in the afternoon sell-off).

Preponderance in S&P 500 index funds. About 30% in a brokerage account (inside tax-deferred retirement account) in which we've got about 20 different stocks. About 5% each in a far-east fund, gold/metals mining fund, agressive growth small cap fund, Gov't bond fund.

I know that we're underweighted in bonds. That's intentional. Interest rates can only rise, which will depress bonds. Further, the fixed-income portion of most people's portfolios are there to provide stability and, of course, fixed income. But we've got two military pensions that achieve those objectives.

Last edited:
We're late 20s, whatever that means for years left until retirement. Everything is not specifically in a retirement account, but I would define it as savings for the future.

~70%-80% index fund aimed at mimicking the market
Remainder in individual stocks

We save 30ish percent of our pre-tax salary. Holdings are predominantly post-tax accounts... will likely start changing that mix in the future, holding more pre-tax.

I'm retired due to health issues. I took a lump sum pension and rolled it into an IRA.

My wife still works. We haven't had to dip into any 401(k) savings or the IRA.

We both always make sure we get all the company match funds possible in our 401(k)'s - but additional savings are invested separately so if needed they can be accessed without the penalties incurred accessing a 401(k) early. So far we haven't had to use those funds either.

Last edited:
Its amazing that almost none of the frequent posters will post a picture yet they feel comfortable sharing financial info.

Working till you drop dead wouldn't be that crazy bad if you don't have to physically exert and you love what you're doing.

Anyone 10 or more years out, counting the days till retirement probably need to find something more satisfying to do.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Its amazing that almost none of the frequent posters will post a picture yet they feel comfortable sharing financial info.

Working till you drop dead wouldn't be that crazy bad if you don't have to physically exert and you love what you're doing.

Anyone 10 or more years out, counting the days till retirement probably need to find something more satisfying to do.

I don't think the two relate. A photo could be considered personally identifiable information. These aren't account numbers we're discussing here, just vague retirement plans.

What surprises me is that nobody has posted about gold or concrete bunker futures.

I agree about counting down the days though. I'm searching for a new career path myself.

I think there's such a thing as a love / hate relationship with your career so it might be difficult in absolute terms to describe something that's "more fulfilling" or "more satisfying". It can depend if you're more about the journey or more about the destination...and people will vary on that front to a great degree with regards to their jobs.

I'm 13-15 years from retirement and my portfolio consists of:

50% in allocation/balanced mutual funds ( mostly U.S. holdings )
20% in domestic small cap funds
17% in health care funds
7% in international large caps ( EU,Japan mostly )
6% in short term bond and multi-sector bond funds
Cash in equivalent to ~10% of total

I typically don't like to put more than about 10% in any one sector but health care has outperformed since 2011 and I'm not particularly worried in light of what it's made for me over the last four years. The downside protection it exhibited in 2008 vs. the market as a whole is also reassuring.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Here is a screenshot of my monthly pension. Ctrl and + key to enlarge if image is too small.
Voluntary pension will add an extra $1000 per month. This is an estimate as my income level affects (increases) both pensions.

Pension_zpspczsqe6l.png

I'm on track to have 1.0x my salary in my retirement fund by age 35.

By some measures that's OK but it feels woefully inadequate.

I'm doing it with rental properties. I'm hoping to have 50-100 units by the time I'm 40, and get them paid off when I'm 50.

100 units @ an average rent of $1700 would give me $170,000 a month gross assuming no vacancies etc. Using the 50% rule I'd get $85k a month, before taxes etc.

I'd like to be able to "retire" from working in the winter, but I like working so I'll never stop. I just hate working outside from December to March. Nothing sucks more than trying to beat/heat frozen equipment back to life.

Last edited:
My bride and I have recently done some retirement planning with a local financial planner; the type that buys you a free meal at Ruth’s Chris while they pitch their services. They make money off commissions from selling annuities and life insurance, and then put together a nice portfolio of all our accounts and assets.

My bride is in her early 50s and wants to stop working in the next five years. I’m in my mid-40s and want to work my current job (consulting systems engineer to the federal gov’t) for another 15 years and then switch to a “retirement job” that is a little more leisurely, like delivering new boats to customers on Chesapeake Bay.

Anyway, this is what we’re working with so far:

Real estate:
Our house is worth around $600k and we owe about $230k. We have 13 years remaining on a 15-year note, but we’re making bigger payments and should have it paid off in about 10 years.

Pensions:
My Air Force Reserve retired pay will begin when I’m 59-1/2, should get about $1,300/month after taxes.
We both will get the maximum Social Security payments.
My bride worked in Canada early in her career and will get a small gov't pension, probably around $400/month.

Retirement accounts:
I had a costly divorce a few years ago that decimated my 401k and I had to liquidate my IRA for a family emergency. My 401k is currently only $165k but is growing fast. I’m fortunate that my employer has a 10% match, and I am contributing the maximum every year. I try to buy stocks and ETFs at cheap prices and sell at high prices, along the lines of Peter Lynch (former Fidelity Magellan fund manager) as he outlined in his books. For instance, in the last week I bought $10k of the ETF “UCO,” which is 2x-leveraged in crude oil. I bought it in six separate purchases that bracketed the low price earlier this week. If oil goes back up to $80/barrel I will turn that $10k into $40k.

My bride has a 401k with about $400k in it. She contributes the maximum, including the additional $6k/year because she’s over 50, and her employer contributes 3%. Hers is in an account that lacks the flexibility of mine, so right now it’s mostly in a high yield bond fund to avoid the currently overpriced equities market. After she quits working we’re thinking about rolling most of her 401k balance into a pension annuity and hold off withdrawing from it as long as we can so it grows a bit. If we can wait until after I quit working my regular job, we can probably get about $2,300/month for life out of that annuity.

Anyway, with all that I think we can have a pretty comfortable retirement. Our fallback plan is my stepson, who we’re putting through law school. Hopefully he’ll become a big-shot lawyer and let us live in his guest house.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: crinkles
I'm on track to have 1.0x my salary in my retirement fund by age 35.

By some measures that's OK but it feels woefully inadequate.

You're young...lots of time to tweak your contribution amounts and asset allocation...

My goal, at age 65, is to have 12.0x salary. But that's in addition to a defined benefit plan (military pension).

A general rule of thumb is this: you can safely withdraw 4% of your portfolio each year.

That allows your portfolio to grow with inflation, and survive down markets.

Working that rule backwards, then, if you want your investments to provide 80% of your salary in retirement, you would want 20.0x salary in your your investments. Naturally, any defined benefit (Social Security in the US, for example) reduces the amount that has to be provided by your investments...and while that 20.0x is a big number, the growth over the next 30 years will allow you to achieve it if you contribute heavily now...

I think $10,000 per month (excluding social security) per spouse is very realistic if you plan ahead and stay disciplined during your career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back