Not open for further replies.
*** be ultra reliable
*** drive like a sedan @80mph.
*** go uphill in 10" of snow
*** seat 5 adults
*** pull a 2000lb. trailer
*** get 35-40 mpg.
*** under $35k

tricky part is I'm interested next year 2016, how close can I get?

Last edited:
mine will be turbocharged.

I think I can finally trust modern technology to build me a reliable turbo charged car that should last at least 150k miles on regular maintenance

Originally Posted By: dblshock
*** be ultra reliable
*** seat 5 adults
*** get 35-40 mpg.
*** under $35k

10 inches of snow means it rides high to prevent high-centering... real high. The Honda Pilot was one of the higher SUV's at 8 inches clearance, and that just went to 7.3" with the 2016 model. I suppose it might pull through 10" of snow with Mud Terrain tires and very light fluffy snow.

Anyway tall vehicles don't mesh well with high fuel economy. Pick one or the other.

I had a '10 Pilot, whoa! poor fuel, suspension engineering, fuel management gizmos..

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Anyway tall vehicles don't mesh well with high fuel economy.

And they don't drive like a sedan @ 80 mph either, although maybe the OP could further clarify what exactly he meant by that.

My Jeep does all that except the 35-40 mpg. More like 16-20 mpg.
wink.gif

Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel meets most, and in most cases by a very wide margin. Absolutely obliterates the towing, meets 5 passengers, and drives better than most sedans at 80 (yeah, mines a gasoline 3.6, but same chassis dynamics). Its borderline on economy (33 mpg IIRC) and only outright fails on cost... its way more than $30k.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
wink.gif

whats that Jeep like at 80? your dental work at risk?

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
wink.gif

whats that Jeep like at 80? your dental work at risk?

Look at his sig- its a WJ. They rode rather well on the highway (coils at all 4 corners instead of rear leafs like the XJ), although nothing like what the current WK2 does.

Last edited:
I've owned AWD systems from Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi dating back to 1990, every one got sloppy north of 80k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
mine will be turbocharged.

I think I can finally trust modern technology to build me a reliable turbo charged car that should last at least 150k miles on regular maintenance

That was common 20+ years ago!

*** be ultra reliable
*** seat 5 adults
*** get 35-40 mpg.
*** under $35k

Subaru Outback except for the the MPG figure (33 highway not 35-40). My dad spent $23k brand new on base model and it does all those things listed above except MPG. The $10k saved over next nearest competitor buys lots of fuel.

10" of snow is not terrible with nearly 9" clearance and incredible AWD to back it up. I think Outback stands alone in market place in price point with capability. Thankfully turns out to decent reliability and actually decent enough car to drive too.

Domestics(ford taurus AWD and dodge charger AWD) offer some comfy sedans but terrible MPG and lack of any clearance for 10" of snow.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
*** be ultra reliable
*** seat 5 adults
*** get 35-40 mpg.
*** under $35k

Subaru Outback except for the the MPG figure (33 highway not 35-40). My dad spent $23k brand new on base model and it does all those things listed above except MPG. The $10k saved over next nearest competitor buys lots of fuel.

I know..it comes darn close..I worry about a Subie lemon and endless hours at the service desk arguing about a bad head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back