Is it all in my head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

I know this topic is discussed regularly, but after I change my oil, especially from Dino to syn, there's definitely a noticeable difference in the sound, feel, etc. Everyone agrees, right? Quieter, smoother, etc. I had Havoline Dino in for 6100 miles (6months) and put the QSUD back in. The Havoline was very black upon exit. Of the 6100 miles I'd estimate my commute is one way 9 miles with 7 interstate miles, and I road tripped a total of about half of those miles (road tripped meaning at least an hour drive at 60+ mph). Most would probably say I should've analyzed my oil to see how much life was left, but the oil and filter together cost me $12 and my new QSUD and filter was $23. So I don't see why I'd pay $15-30 for an analysis. Except that I kind of want to because I'm a geek like that. But the oil is now at the bottom of the pit of my local WalMart service center. They always freak out because I keep my oil in a red gasoline jug. "OMG it's in a gas jug! We can't recycle gas!" "Um, it's oil. The gas jug was just cheap and easy to fill with old oil. Never been used for gas." "Well, it's not our policy to take it in gas containers." "Ok, I have a 5 quart jug in my car, empty. I'll just fill that 3 times and bring to you from the parking lot. Deal?" "Ok, I guess we can dump it this time."

It's not all in your head. Depending on what oil goes in, the whole car sounds, feels, and drives differently.

Just to get it in before someone comes along and says to the contrary: You know this because you drive your car everyday, day in and day out, maybe have gotten on the throttle once in awhile or everyday if you are like me and like to keep carbon to a minimum and a clean engine by driving hard more regularly than not.. and you know how your car feels, and feels different than it maybe did previously, when a change occurs. You could PROBABLY even feel more smoothness in premium vs regular gas, though, if you don't have a turbo, that would be harder to prove. But you probably would still notice it smoother. Haven't tried that one in awhile. Always 87. Except MAYBE the tank before an Inspection..

I have begun using xW-20 exclusively but I can tell differences in what oil was put in, yes. Some to the better, some to the worse.

Looks like you answered your own question.

iqwwwl.jpg

Originally Posted By: Yup
I know this topic is discussed regularly, but after I change my oil, especially from Dino to syn, there's definitely a noticeable difference in the sound, feel, etc. Everyone agrees, right? Quieter, smoother, etc. ."

I don't agree. I personally have NEVER noticed ANY difference in sound, feel, or anything after an oil change, unless there was a problem with a filter ADBV that caused start-up noise. Its not that I'm unaware of engine sound and feel, I hear LOTS of little sounds from my machinery and generally know exactly what is cause and effect. I really don't believe claims of differences in sound or "smoothness" etc. related to oil changes unless you make a very large change in viscosity.

You also have to remember that people are easily fooled by the sound on first start after an oil change. That is the only time you EVER start an engine with hot metal and cold oil, which could conceivably make that one start sound unusual for a minute or two. But under normal conditions- no difference.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Yup
I know this topic is discussed regularly, but after I change my oil, especially from Dino to syn, there's definitely a noticeable difference in the sound, feel, etc. Everyone agrees, right? Quieter, smoother, etc. ."

I don't agree. I personally have NEVER noticed ANY difference in sound, feel, or anything after an oil change, unless there was a problem with a filter ADBV that caused start-up noise. Its not that I'm unaware of engine sound and feel, I hear LOTS of little sounds from my machinery and generally know exactly what is cause and effect. I really don't believe claims of differences in sound or "smoothness" etc. related to oil changes unless you make a very large change in viscosity.

You also have to remember that people are easily fooled by the sound on first start after an oil change. That is the only time you EVER start an engine with hot metal and cold oil, which could conceivably make that one start sound unusual for a minute or two. But under normal conditions- no difference.
This is EXACTLY my experience as well.

I used to think that was bull honkey, but:

I have felt the difference between used 8,000 mile dino and new oil in a '99 GM 2.4L Twin-Cam. More than once.

I drove that car 70 miles to work and back, so I was very in tune with how that car felt. Viscosity was in the low range of a 30 grade oil, but still within spec. UOA's came back excellent.

It is in the OP's head.

If your engine has an audible difference from changing oil, something is wrong.

I could see if the engine was 3 quarts low and rattling, then yes a fresh oil fill would indeed result in quieter, smoother operation.

I disagree with the OP's thoughts. I switched from Motorcraft SynBlend (5W-20) to Pennzoil Ultra (5W-20) to Mobil Super 5000 (5W-20) to Mobil 1 AFE (0W-20) to Mobil 1 EP (0W-20) with zero difference in engine noises. I think this is one of the most subjective items that can be discussed on BITOG.

My Honda runs better after I wash it and vacuum out the inside. Happens every time. I think it's because the water lubricates the painted surface and it requires less horsepower to move down the road. At least I'm not stupid enough to believe that vacuuming the inside would increase the speed on the freeway. That only happens on secondary streets (lol).

I'm not saying, necessarily the type of oil, but the fact that oil with 5-10k on it sounds different than the first few hundred miles of fresh oil. I have a keen feel for my car and firmly believe the first few miles of fresh oil run differently than old oil. Noticeably. Maybe it's the viscosity and timing chain tensioner or something of that nature.

After an OC, My cars usually run OK for day one, then poorly with fresh oil for ~1000 miles; then it starts to smooth out again. Many on here who have experienced this, call this effect "add pack changeover"

Now, I'm am getting deaf-er and numb-er as MY miles increase also my newish Nissan engine is very isolated from cabin. This is an auto and I'm used to manual transmissions directly connected to the engine and drivetrain. The Nissan was much noisier with the walmart synthetic (your high group syn "clatter") and this went away with the current 5w30 Valvoline amended with 0w20 PP ala Schaeffer 7000 addpack. The bargain of the decade walmart syn produced more consistent good power and torque than does the Valvoline. Are all dexos1 5w30 like gooey-mud? or it just me. Not slickery. Give me Pennzoil bvronze bottle HM 5w30 instead anyday!

Back in the heady days of WAY oversized V8s I think I was pretty numb to oil differences. More worried about getting the car STARTED in the winter with a flakey E choke and frozen carb with the broken heat riser stove.

Last edited:
It has always been my opinion that if the vehicle seems improved, after an oil change, you either waited too long or drained out a seriously inferior oil. YMMV.

I use only M1 synthetic in my motorcycles. After I change the oil I can FEEL the new oil difference in the shifting of gears. A notchy feel on old oil is replaced with smooth as butter shifts.

If someone says they feel or hear a difference in a car motor I can believe it cause it is just a different kind of machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back