HONDA PSF

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Honda seems to be a strange PSF, much thicker than most and higher additive levels. Has anyone used different type of fluid in Hondas and what were the results. Looking for opinions. Thanks

I bought AAP branded power steering fluid for Hondas. Did the turkey baster drain/refills twice a year.

Works well and you can use discount codes for PS fluid.

A lot of what I have heard from people that work on Hondas for a living say to use Honda PS fluid. The other fluids don't seem to cut the mustard.

Power steering fluid is needed to change every 4-5 years, Honda OEM fluid is more expensive but divided by 5 years is almost nothing.

I used the Prestone power steering fluid that says for Hondas on the bottle in my wife's Pilot. Seems to work well and is available at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Power steering fluid is needed to change every 4-5 years, Honda OEM fluid is more expensive but divided by 5 years is almost nothing.

Exactly. Don't see the need to experiment with other fluids supposedly compatible with Hondas. A couple of extra bucks for Honda PSF every few years is worth it since you have peace of mind knowing you used the right stuff for your car.

Last edited:
Thanks Blokey. Your comment is most interesting. From what I show as typical the Red Line is about as far from Honda typical as could be expected. At least what I am showing. Viscosity at 100C for Honda typical is 12.63 cSt and Red Line is 6.47 cSt.
VI for Honda is 275 and Red Line is 143. And Brookfield at -40 is 8,450 cP for Honda and 18,000 cP for Red Line. So what is going on. Either the Red Line is really amazing or viscosity does not effect you driving. What conditions do you drive under?

It's certainly gone up in price over the years, although most lubricant-type fluids have. I remember when I used to pay under $2 for a 12 oz bottle at a dealer, and you need less than 3 bottles to do a by the book PSF flush on a typical Honda/Acura PS system.

The last time I bought some (for my wife's Civic) it was maybe $4.50 for a 12 oz bottle. I might have paid a bit more than at a previous dealer, but I was already there and didn't see the point in trying to save $1.

Also - there's no particular interval when you're supposed to do a PS flush, although a lot of people just do it because it feels like something should be done. The service manual procedure is actually pretty simple - just remove the return hose and fix it to a tube (I've used a funnel extension and vinyl tubes just the right size. Maybe tape it just in case it leaks or wants to shoot out. Then fix the other end to a bottle (1 qt should be big enough) with some room for air to escape. My '95 Integra service manual showed a drawing of an open container, but I would worry about it splashing. Then you start the engine, turn it almost lock to lock, and keep on doing it until nothing comes out. It's going to make horrible noises, but there's enough residual fluid left to protect the PS pump. Then you put everything back in place and fill it up gradually, turning it almost lock to lock such that it's purging any air. It self-purges air fairly quickly.

You don't have to get your Honda PSF at the dealer. Many stores, including Walmart, sell PSF that is good for Honda. Walmart has some for under $3/bottle.

The major auto parts stores carry it as well (Napa, Autozone, Pep Boys, AAP, etc)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You don't have to get your Honda PSF at the dealer. Many stores, including Walmart, sell PSF that is good for Honda. Walmart has some for under $3/bottle.

The major auto parts stores carry it as well (Napa, Autozone, Pep Boys, AAP, etc)

That's already been mentioned, but really why bother given the minimal differences in price. In some cases an aftermarket equivalent may even be higher.

All Pep Boys is listing as "Honda compatible" is Motor Medic at $4.99 for 12 oz.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8565679/00815

AutoZone is listing their house brand for $4.59 for 12 oz.

http://www.autozone.com/brake-and-power-...luid/84948_0_0/

The closest thing Advance lists for shipping to my address is Prestone Asian PSF for $8.99 for 12 oz.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/prestone-asian-power-steering-fluid-as269y-6/10436506-P?navigationPath=L1*14924%7CL2*15037%7CL3*16127

However, Wal-Mart is listing Prestone Honda Power Steering Fluid (12 oz) for $2.58:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Honda-Power-Steering-Fluid/20850664

Still - even at that price I'd just go to the dealer since I don't think it's worth going with anything else.

Only suckers pay those prices. They do go on sale occasionally. For example, Napa has it on sale for $2.99 sometimes. Then you have convenience and location to factor in.

I've used the Walmart Prestone and Autozone brand with no problems
smile.gif

Only suckers pay those prices. They do go on sale occasionally. For example, Napa has it on sale for $2.99 sometimes. Then you have convenience and location to factor in.

smile.gif

And I've used the Honda brand with no problems. Over 20 years I've maybe spent maybe a grand total of $8 more than if I got the cheapest generic, and often when I saw the generic it was higher priced. I bought Honda PSF when I could and just stashed it. It's not as if it's got a short shelf life or anything.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

smile.gif

And I've used the Honda brand with no problems. Over 20 years I've maybe spent maybe a grand total of $8 more than if I got the cheapest generic, and often when I saw the generic it was higher priced. I bought Honda PSF when I could and just stashed it. It's not as if it's got a short shelf life or anything.

Yep - and HandA has it for around 4.45 - if you combine it with something else you need, the shipping is not that bad.

My driving is currently ~99% highway; the first 7 years was about 50:50 highway/city. My p/s doesn't leak or groan or otherwise have any issues. I posted recently that the car has >200K miles, all original under the hood; I'm at just under 206K now.
Same thing with my 5-spd trans (the notoriously troublesome early '00s Honda 5-spd auto). Still running the original trans with no signs of problems. Years ago I ran Amsoil ATF, then M1 ATF in it. More recently, for the last couple years, I've been using CAM2 Multi-Vehicle synthetic ATF (I'm a CAM2 fanboy as you can see by my sig). The car runs as well now as when I bought it used in '02 with ~34K miles.

I am using O'Reilly Honda PSF in mom's Honda CRV. I changed the fluid at 22,000 miles, and so far she has driven about 10,000 miles. There aren't any preoblems.

Used Bardahl branded for Honda PSF on 01 Civic now with 225K+ miles and original pump. Switched to Prestone branded for Honda PSF after Bardahl discontinued, now in Civic and 3.0L Accord. No issues.

When did Bardahl discontinue? I noticed our Walmarts and Canadian Tires still have it, but up here, we're usually the last to know about new products or discontinuations. After all, we just recently got SM M1 0w-40.
wink.gif

I have seen the Prestone Honda stuff just recently.

I've been using Redline High Temp ATF for 3 years in my powersteering. Nothing but good things to say about it. I chose the high temp stuff because it's viscosity is pretty close to OEM. I'll never go back to anything else. But I also have been using Lightweight Racing (type F) for many years in the trans and a 0-40 oil in the engine. At 135,000 miles the engine is quieter as is the powersteering than when it was brand new. The transmission shifts way better than when new. Don't be so afraid of Hondas scare tactics and myths that no one has ever questioned. I've been on 3 fluids on 3 systems that most say would mean immediate death of that system and I've not only made it to 135,000, it's running extremely well.

Honda doesn't specifically say what the issue is with a different ATF. The viscosity is one thing, and for the most part differences in hydraulic fluid can be tolerated. However, one claim I've heard is that the fluid has to be formulated to be compatible with Honda's seals.

Quote:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/190921-honda-power-steering-fluid-equivalent.html

The problem with with Honda PSF is that there truly is nothing magical to it, as you said. It is the most narrowly specified hydraulic fluid I've ever seen. It does only one thing well, and that is, act as a power transmission medium in rotary vane pumps for a single motion system like a steering rack. That's it. However, it's an excellent specialty fluid in this app. It would be lousy in a recirculating ball system of any sort, whether it be one used in a steering rack, manlift, or any other application...but Dexron III can excel in these applications.

Current iterations of Dexron III have changed markedly, with compounds that will intercalate into modern synthetics used in transmission seals while remaining friendly to older spec transmission seals, and both classes of friction modifiers are now heavily halogenated. They're not even close to what they used to have in them 20 years ago. The rubber in our PSF pump is probably the same ultra-generic nitrile makeup used in a 1980's Honda (read this as very inexpensive). It doesn't need to be anything better or pricier.

Reason I know this? I've had this academic discussion before with friends of mine (and one relative) working for Exxon Mobil and a college buddy-now-materials scientist as an after-action discussion for the following event:

Two neighbors saw me doing a PSF change on my 2003 years ago, so they did a PSF change on their Odysseys as well. They didn't have enough Honda PSF on hand when finished...so they shared a bottle of ATF and filled up their PS reservoirs with Dex III. A couple months later, something didn't "feel right" in the steering, so they said to me.

Being that they did the PSF changeout based on my recommendation, I felt compelled to help them. I was shocked at how black the PSF was compared to mine, and theirs was newer! After draining the reservoirs, I assisted in removal of the pumps and their disassembly. Every single seal in either pump, to include the backplate O-ring which is a captive, non-moving item, had physically degraded. Rather than clean the pieces out and rebuild the pumps on both Gen 2's, they purchased new pumps and I helped with the installation, system cleanup (reservoir removal and flushing) and flushing the systems repeatedly with quarts of Honda PSF. I did not know at that point that they'd used a full reservoir's worth of Dex III ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back