Anyone Download Windows 10 Yet? Thoughts ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Almost an hour later still sitting at 66%...
33.gif

They( warning in the software before proceeding )weren't kidding when they said it would take hours to do a complete wipe of the HD and install of a clean Win10.

99% an hour and a half later...still waiting( insert jeopardy music here )...

The clean install finished up last night( finally ). No driver issues or software conflicts. Everything works fine. This morning I have played around with it a bit to get it setup like I want.

Overall I like the speed increase from Windows 10 vs. Windows 7 on this laptop. Definitely faster. Boot up and shutdown especially move along much quicker for me now.

I do not like how Microsoft messed with the user interface/navigation/start menu however. Finding things is a pain now. I have installed 3rd party software that provides a classic Windows start menu which has helped a lot. Obviously I will learn where things are in time but I don't understand why they can't keep the interface consistent throughout platforms. Change for change sake is stupid IMO.

Overall Windows 10 is better than I expected but it does have the what where they thinking changes I expected as well.

Oh, and the new browser( Edge )flat out sucks! Has taken me an hour+ this morning to adjust settings to make it even begin to act normally. For instance typing in a URL by default brings it up in a search engine instead of opening the page. You have to turn that off. I mean how stupid is it to have a search engine come up when the URL is already known. You also can not right click and save/save as/etc... anymore. There is a default location everything is saved in. You can change that location but you can not decide per fle where it goes. Another moronic decision by Microsoft. I am pretty sure I am going back to IE. Not a fan of Edge at all.

I am pretty sure I am going back to IE. Not a fan of Edge at all.

Try Chrome or Waterfox. I'm a fan of Waterfox, personally.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I am pretty sure I am going back to IE. Not a fan of Edge at all.

Try Chrome or Waterfox. I'm a fan of Waterfox, personally.

Hate Chrome and anything Google related. Never heard of Waterfox.

Edge plays Youtube 4K much more smoother than Chrome. I could never get Chrome to play 4K videos smoothly in Win7 even with a wired 50/5 Internet connection. For browsing it feels bulky so I'll stick with Chrome for now. For Youtube browsing I might use Edge.

For some reason Shutdown is not a full shutdown. It's like a Sleep/Hibernate hybrid. My Ethernet uptime timer is almost 5 days despite "shutting down" my computer every night. If I restart my system the uptime timer resets.

I took the windows 10 plunge today. I sacrificed a weak old netbook that only had 1gb of ram. I did a clean install as it didn't like some of the old software. So far it seems ok and not very exciting. The speed of 10 is amazing on this lousy 1.6ghz atom processor. I just began to load up some software. The lack of ram doesn't seem to bother it too much. More time will tell.

The UI is much better than win 8. Yet somehow it still doesn't feel right. It feels too flat. Older windows versions had much more 3D design. To create shortcuts and rearrange the tiles is much more work than it should be.

Even though I only had it for a few hours I'm going to keep it on this netbook permanently. The old Windows 7 starter was awful and slow.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The only issue I have with windows 10 so far is that it now wakes up about every 30 minutes for 2 minutes. This makes no sense to me as when it is awake, all my sleep timers are for way longer than 2 minutes.

It is almost as if it is waking up to do some small tasks and doesn't fully wake up. I don't think it even turns the screen on, just starts up fans, CPU, etc. So weird.

I'm running 8.1 and before I go to bed I put my computer to sleep and in the middle of the night at random times it will often just wake itself up completely, with the monitor on as well. The computer is in our bedroom so it instantly wakes me up, so it's quite annoying. If I do a full shutdown before bed it doesn't do this, so that's what I've started doing, but maybe the switch to Windows 10 will stop this annoying problem? It's like there is a ghost in my house!
crazy2.gif

For now I'm going to stick with 8.1 and let the bugs get worked out of 10 first. I was having a big problem with my computer constantly crashing, it would either completely freeze up, or it would just randomly restart or randomly shut itself off. That problem happened for about a 2-3 week period of time and stopped happening about 2 weeks ago. At first I thought Microsoft had put in an 8.1 update that caused this problem to happen just to try to entice me to try Windows 10 (as a possible fix for the problem)

Glad you guys are beta testing Windows 10. It might be ready in another six months.

My issues turned out to be my teamviewer app. They updated it and it no longer has the random wake up problems.

Yours sounds like it might be related to the automatic installation of updates and system maintenance based on the times you mention and the monitor coming on, too.

So far I am not impressed with Windows 10 from what I have seen. I just spent last night recovering a family member's computer that decided it was only going to boot to a black screen. He upgraded to Windows 10 a month ago, and I am guessing that it was an update that caused it to stop booting. I was able to get in and restore the computer to a prior date and it fixed the issue. Unfortunately, I don't know what update caused that, so I hope that it doesn't do it again.

Windows 10 runs a lot slower than Windows 8.1 did before he upgraded. I also find the user interface to be rather ugly in my opinion. Also, the start menu is a far cry from the useful Windows 7 start menu.

Glad I decided to stick with Windows 7 on my netbook, and Windows 8.1 on my laptop.

I finally gave in and downloaded W10 from my present W8.1. I was apprehensive as I was quite happy with W8 but, wanted the longer term updates. I think it took about an hour to download & install after about 30 minutes of updating. I was using my Dell with a mouse and a standard desktop. I was pleasantly surprised that when all was completed, I still had my desktop as I left it plus some differences where the start button area is located. So far, so good. I will update on any issues I find in the future. Ed

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The only issue I have with windows 10 so far is that it now wakes up about every 30 minutes for 2 minutes. This makes no sense to me as when it is awake, all my sleep timers are for way longer than 2 minutes.

It is almost as if it is waking up to do some small tasks and doesn't fully wake up. I don't think it even turns the screen on, just starts up fans, CPU, etc. So weird.

that's the telemetry calling home (it collects your data and every 30 minutes sends it to MS)
http://www.zdnet.com/article/want-to-limit-windows-10-tracking-there-is-an-app-for-that/

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Windows 10 also uses your computer to send the updates to other computers.

This, along with the other privacy issues, are user-controllable, at least to some degree. My W10 computers stay asleep for days if I never wake them up.

I upgraded my tower recently and Ive had a couple issues.
First one is the Adaptec MaxView storage controller does not work. So I don't have GUI access to my RAID controller. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Presumably a future update might fix as the latest version on the Adaptec site does not specifically mention Windows 10.
My Creative X-Fi sound card drops out some boots. Its installed, can see the bar graphs dancing, but, no output. I uninstall it, reboot and it automatically reinstalls, bam; works. No idea what's going on there. It is pretty old though and isn't stock. I may need to replace the old card.
Overall, Im fairly happy. Seems snappier. I am coming from a original install date of 01/2010, so I was probably past due for a reinstall.
I wasn't going to do it, but since I got laid off I figured I had time to fix any problems that might've appeared. I was hoping I would be able to replace my PC around the end of October, but, yeah, not gonna be able to afford it now. Gonna have to keep running the old girl probably at least another year.

I updated my ultrabook to Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago.
Everything works fine and its mostly stable except for 1 thing.
There are 2 things that annoy me:
1. Cant change log in screen background
2. Start menu sometimes decides to stop working and takes MINUTES to load even though i am clicking it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noobie
I updated my ultrabook to Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago.
Everything works fine and its mostly stable except for 1 thing.
There are 2 things that annoy me:
1. Cant change log in screen background
2. Start menu sometimes decides to stop working and takes MINUTES to load even though i am clicking it.

Oh yeah, I did have that problem with the login background. It works fine on my laptop but I couldn't change it on my tower. Finally ended up changing the group policy to force the image I wanted that way. Really weird.
Haven't had that long of a delay for the start menu. However, I have had it take way longer than it should; On the order of 10-15 seconds. Not normal or necessary for a machine with a SSD and 12GB of ram for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Oh yeah, I did have that problem with the login background. It works fine on my laptop but I couldn't change it on my tower. Finally ended up changing the group policy to force the image I wanted that way. Really weird.
Haven't had that long of a delay for the start menu. However, I have had it take way longer than it should; On the order of 10-15 seconds. Not normal or necessary for a machine with a SSD and 12GB of ram for sure.

I tried changing the ugly background with a tool that messed with system files (The tool is widely available, i Googled it) and i ended up screwing my OS. Couldnt boot up, not even into safe mode. I had to format the PC again.
I still have the start menu issue, sometimes it can take minutes and sometimes its like what you are experiencing and thats also with an SSD and 4GB of RAM with "almost" nothing installed. Plenty of processing power and RAM.

Last edited:
If you are thinking of whether to upgrade to Win 10 or not, I may recommend you to read a great blog by Emnisoft company. I'm sure it will help you better undertstand the reality of cyber security and privacy issues. They also have anti-malware tool to assist you in making your PC highly protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back