Havoline synthetic dexron-VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M1Y3KZA/ref=pd_aw_sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0470XE60QW9Y854B5TVS

Amazon seems to have a great price on this fluid. Anyone use this?

I'm servicing my Silverado again soon as well as my moms 2011 traverse. I've been using the Valvoline syn Dex-VI.

I looked at PDS for both fluids. The only notable difference being the VI. Valvoline has a VI of 155 and the Havoline a 147.

The Valvoline is twice the price, however. I'm thinking of replacing all the fluid in the traverse and my Silverado with this.

the pan has already been off the Silverado at 25k miles and a Napa premium trans filter installed and magnet cleaned so I think I will leave the filter alone for another 50-75k. Do you guys suggest a return line flush 2qts at a time? This seems like the easiest way to replace all 12 quarts in my 4L60-E transmission.

Yep I bought a couple cases. Have used it in several vehicles. So far has worked fine.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Walmart Supertech DexronVI was like $4.25 last I checked.

That's about 35 cents per quart more expensive, but it's not "synthetic". The Havoline is, or is marketed as synthetic anyway.

I have no problems with ST. I like warren products, but I won't pay extra for it over a name brand in most cases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M1Y3KZA/ref=pd_aw_sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0470XE60QW9Y854B5TVS

Amazon seems to have a great price on this fluid. Anyone use this?

I'm servicing my Silverado again soon as well as my moms 2011 traverse. I've been using the Valvoline syn Dex-VI.

I looked at PDS for both fluids. The only notable difference being the VI. Valvoline has a VI of 155 and the Havoline a 147.

The Valvoline is twice the price, however. I'm thinking of replacing all the fluid in the traverse and my Silverado with this.

the pan has already been off the Silverado at 25k miles and a Napa premium trans filter installed and magnet cleaned so I think I will leave the filter alone for another 50-75k. Do you guys suggest a return line flush 2qts at a time? This seems like the easiest way to replace all 12 quarts in my 4L60-E transmission.

Cooler line flush usually delivers about 3.5-4.5 quarts at a time, depending on the depth of your transmission pan.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Walmart Supertech DexronVI was like $4.25 last I checked.

That's about 35 cents per quart more expensive, but it's not "synthetic". The Havoline is, or is marketed as synthetic anyway.

I have no problems with ST. I like warren products, but I won't pay extra for it over a name brand in most cases.

They're both blends

Are you positive? I'm aware GM sets the standard for the base stock as a blend of group III/II+ as a minimum and a specific additive formulation, however there are some certified Dex-VI fluids that exceed the spec like Valvolines which is a full synthetic group III fluid.

Can Havoline legally state their fluid is Synthetic if it is not at a minimum a group III fluid? I'm not saying you're wrong. It could be a blend just like the ac/delco, house brands, and super tech is. I'm just questioning whether Havoline can market it as "synthetic" on the bottle if it is technically a blend.??

With the information I have gathered I am fairly certain although hard to prove. With enough group 3 they are all technically synthetic in the USA. If the Havoline is cheaper I'd use that anyway. The real world difference between any DexronVI that is licensed is not measurable.

I just did a fluid change on a 2013 Silverado and used the Havoline fluid. It's made by Chevron so I believe that it is a quality fluid. I'll continue to use it as the Amazon price is good.

I ordered a 12 qt case on the 7th and received it Tuesday . Have not opened the case , yet .

God bless
Wyr

I ordered a 12 qt case on the 7th and received it Tuesday of last week . Have not opened the case , yet .

God bless

I got mine in today and did a drain and fill on the traverse. I then took it for a highway run and repeated the process.

The fluid was as dark as used motor oil when it came out. 86k miles and never changed. It is now a light pink.

I will do 2 more drain and fills in a couple thousand miles to ensure it is mostly fresh fluid.

The Havoline synthetic Dex-VI seemed like good stuff. it had a really strong smell to it.

Ill likely order a couple cases and do a cooler line flush on the silverado soon as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back