2005 Hyundai Elantra timing belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son's g/f's car. No record of timing belt change from previous owner. We are going to tackle the job this weekend. I've done timing belts before, and have watched a YouTube video of this particular job, just wondering if there are any potential pitfalls I should be aware of before we dig into it? Thanks for any guidance!

Not really. Use air tools if you have them. They'll make the job go by so much faster. There's not much space to swing a ratchet on some of the bolts, and a pair of air ratchets will solve that problem. It'll also make the water pump pulley bolts come out easier. Use a block of wood on a jack to support the engine when the passenger-side motor mount comes out. It'll also make adjusting the engine angle a lot easier for dis-assembly and re-assembly. IIRC cam timing stays where you leave it. Also, make sure you have smaller deep-well sockets or some short extensions for the pulleys if those are being done as well.

Replace the water pump while you're in there. It's behind the timing belt, and is cheap insurance. IIRC aftermarket pumps are generally built pretty well for that application. Do the V-belts too. Tensioning those belts might need one person to be underneath with a wrench while the other holds the component in place. Except whoever gets to do the water pump belt with its silly tensioning bolt.

I did the t-belt on my old 1999 Elantra with the same engine (minus the VVT) back in 2006 or so. That was a few cars ago, so my memory is a bit hazy on some of the intricacies. That's what I wish I'd had known going into the project.

Last edited:
Not too bad. I just did the timing belt the first time myself this past weekend on a 2006 Elantra. They've been replaced before, but at the shop. It was easier than I thought, and lining up the timing marks was straightforward.
I did remove the power steering pump and reservoir, but I didn't remove the engine mount.
I do have air tools, so that sped things up. I was also lucky and the harmonic balancer was easy to remove, but you may need a 2 jaw puller.

For the water pump bolts, I jacked it up a bit for clearance and was able to get to the bolts with a ratchet. And I lowered to get to the crank pulley..

I do have a pdf copy of instructions from the hma website, let me know if you're interested and I can share it with you. Something to note is the hma website did say to torque the tensioner pully to 20 ftlbs or so, but the gates kit was much higher, 38 ftlbs so thats what I tourqued the pulleys to.

If you've done them before, this should be a piece of cake.

Many thanks to sciphi and zoombucky - did the timing belt and water pump on the Hyundai and it went pretty easily. Air tools helped. The hardest part was cleaning the old gasket material off the water pump mounting surface (it was really baked on), and then walking the lower timing belt cover back up over and around the water pump. Hint: the engine will be on a jack because the passenger side motor mount is removed - jack the engine up a good bit and you will get enough room to work that lower cover back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back