Extended OCI is so Hard!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 07 Maxima is at 8100miles on a fill of M1 EP 5-30 with a Fram Ultra. So far I haven't had to add any oil....very nice. But I'm starring at the odometer and truly jonesin to change this out!! I'm going to go 10k and do analysis. It's not easy!!!

I got myself to 5k and then to 8k oil changes, 10k is a whole new beast to conquer.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL I hear ya, 5,000 was hard for me, but now on the Camry and Highlander I am thinking of going 7,000, as they both seem to keep oil pretty clean with little to on usage.

My first thought was "too much information"

But I did correctly guess it was about waiting to do an oil change... I know the feeling.

I am totally with you, finally doing 4-5k OCI's on conventional/blends and sleeping well at night. Have done a couple of 7k plus OCI's on full syn in the KIA.

Once the warranty expires I plan to jump to 10k on the KIA I know it's gonna be hard to do at first!

I made a couple of 24k oil changes on my Dodge, and was getting really antsy in those last couple of k's. Then I shortened the next one to 22k because I was going on a 3k road trip and didn't want to run over. I think I could stretch it to 30k based on the UOA's, but the anticipation would probably kill me.

A familymember i have is driving a little skoda fabia. It has a 1.2 litre 3 Cylinder diesel. it has bin doing the factory 50.000 Km Oci since new. No problems so far.

5k already seems pretty long to me so going 6k on my new Honda was strange. And I still did it early. It probably would have gone over 7k.

With using Techron Fuel System Cleaner or Reganes All in One Fuel System Cleaner at 3000 mile intervals. I find it hard to go past 5000 miles in any of my vehicles for OCIs. Due to that im using just conventional oil in the Ram & Explorer because I believe there motors are almost bulletproof. The Acura will continue to get full synthetic for its lifetime & "maybe" will eventually run it to 7500 mile OCIs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the OP has "oil change addiction".

I was under the impression that Nissan recommends oil and filter changes at every 3750 miles.

Change oil and filter every spring and fall. Don't care what the odo says. Been doing it so long I can't change. No reason to change. Works for me. Taking the used oil to Walmart is the only draw back.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I'm a 5K mile guy & that's not gonna change!

Hopefully you are using conventional, otherwise you are just wasting money.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Change oil and filter every spring and fall. Don't care what the odo says. Been doing it so long I can't change. No reason to change. Works for me. Taking the used oil to Walmart is the only draw back.

I have several 5 quart jugs, I go to the local Jiffy Lube and dispose of the oil every couple of years.

My daily driver specs 7,500 mile OCI from Ford, so that's what I run, but I find myself getting antsy around 6,000 miles - Not because I don't think the oil and filter can handle it, but more because I just want to do it.

It may sound odd, but I enjoy the process of the oil change. It's sort of therapeutic for me, getting up Saturday morning, getting the car up on the ramps, pulling out the tools, getting under the car and going through the whole process of changing the oil, inspecting the engine compartment, etc..

.. is it just me?

I haven't paid attention to what Nissan says. I'm using M1 EP and I do have SOME faith....I was a 3k guy but with BIGTOG and the advent of SN oils I do see 3k as a waste. I got myself up to 8k area with M1 and now I'm looking for my first ever 10k. I'm sure it will be fine, but I am in withdrawal.

I plan on an UOA every 10k. some will say I'm wasting EP but in my noodle I pay same for EP as I do for M1 and beyond 10k I'm just not ready for.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

.. is it just me?

Nope, not just you.

V6 Tacoma gets oil every 5000 miles. (synth with good filter) Just easier that way when the service light pops up every 5k.

Wifes new H6 Subaru will get 6k filter and oil as per manual. That mother holds 6.9 quarts!

The $30 or so per oil change isn't gonna break me....makes me feel better though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back