Toyota Camry oil recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can see the condition of the filter media before it is installed, which is one thing you can certainly not see with a metal can type.

Cartridge filters have been around for years. The optional oil filter for '50s Chevys was this style, as well as most old (and maybe newer?) farm tractors.

Most of the OE Toyota filters that I have purchased have been made by Denso.

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
Just out of curiosity, is there any benefit to the cartridge style filter vs the traditional can type? I'm aware the German cars use Mann but I never did know exactly why that type even exists.

Also, who makes the toyota OEM filter?

Thank you.

Last edited:
If from what the dealer has told me is correct, it would be a Denso filter. As far as benefit, strictly environmental would be the benefit and adding to more time to change the filter to add labor cost...(lol) unless some engineer knows differently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
I also agree with Mobil 1 0W20 Extended Performance. Using in my vehicle and it's literally running like a dream.
Thank for your comment note. In your Accura you are using 5w20 at what change intervals ? Are oil filter intervals same as OCIs ?

Best Wishes,

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 EP 0w-20.

My wife drives the same car that you own and when we finish with the 2 free oil changes my intention is to use what overkill recommends: M1 0W20 EP. Based upon some UOAs using the M1 5W20 EP in the 2007 Camry that she previously owned, I'm convinced that the M1 EP oils can easily go 10K miles in that engine.

I had a '12 Camry (nice car) with 4 cyl 2.5. I used Toyota 0W20, probably would have used Mobil 1 otherwise. Certainly any of the major synthetics would work fine.

Tips for the oil filter: Get the tool which specifically fits it. I used torque wrench and observed the torque specs for both the filter and the drain bolt. I recommend careful torque with the plastic filter housing. I recommend draining the filter-quite a bit comes out. Use the plastic fitting (without hose) included with the OEM filter. Use a wine bottle to both push it into place and catch the drainage.

OEM Toyota filters are a "no brainer" when purchased in quantity from your dealer.

A tremendous bargain.

But there is no problem with the FRAM Ultra for the Camry.

I aquired 5 in an oil+filter special a couple of years ago.

The cartridge style Ultra for the Camry is very well made and look just like new at the end of my OCI's.

If you can buy the FRAM Ultra without taking out a second mortgage, use it with confidence.

Here's the FRAM line up for your Camry....

From left to right: USA built FRAM Extraguard, FRAM Toughguard, and FRAM Ultra

For the record, I took the Justin Beber style Toughguard back to the store.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 EP 0w-20.

Best 0w-20 for the money hands down, easily do the 10k OCI's that Toyota recommends.

Also TGMO 0w-20 is always an excellent choice too

Mobil1 Extended Performance or Castrol Edge Extended Performance voted here. Fram Ultra of course, why not use the best?

Doesn't the oem toyo oil filter have a 50% efficiency rating? Which is why I was looking to change to something else like the Ultra or even an MC oil filter. Which is now listed on rockauto.

edit: rockauto has the MC FL2060 for $4.12 and the Mann ML1031 for $2.94 plus shipping on both.

Last edited:
Toyota OE Denso, $5.41 04152-yzza1 at dealer and 0w20 Toyota in bottles
PART # 00279-0WQTE-01 AT $6.99 QT
Great oil and filter
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Doesn't the oem toyo oil filter have a 50% efficiency rating? Which is why I was looking to change to something else like the Ultra or even an MC oil filter.

I wouldn't worry about the 50% efficiency with the OEM filter.

There is a lot of rhetoric on BITOG about that subject but it's just a bunch of marketing hooey.

Spreadsheets and Delta P's aside, in a multipass automotive oil system, 50% efficiency at 20 microns is just fine at normal OCI's.

Agreed. While better filtration might be preferred, we don't see any problems with people using any specified filter, including "mediocre" OEM filters for the life of a vehicle. Some filter better than others, but one also has to factor in cost and availability.

To be honest, I'd use the genuine oil filter and genuine Toyota oil, they're cheap enough and very high quality. Denso filters are better than Fram filters and the genuine oil will be perfect for the engine.

You will not be able to buy anything that will give you noticeably longer engine life. Driving the car gently with constant revs when cold will do more for your engine than a top tier oil vs OEM oil.

Originally Posted By: Madhun
Toyota OE Denso, $5.41 04152-yzza1 at dealer and 0w20 Toyota in bottles
PART # 00279-0WQTE-01 AT $6.99 QT
Great oil and filter
smile.gif

+1 obviously

In my 14.5 Camry SE, I have used M1 0W-20 EP and Toyota OEM filters since brand new. I have done my own oil changes.

The M1 0W-20 EP (15,000 mi) is a superb oil for its price point (within a dollar or two of AFE formulation price in the 5 qt jug at WallyWorld). I bought five Toyota OEM filters on eBay for about $5 or less. I think they are made by Denso and seem very well built.

I just changed out my oil filter the other day in a mid-cycle filter swap (5,000 miles). It looked perfect and probably could have gone much further but for $5, I changed it out.

I purchased some Fram Ultras (15,000 mi) for $9 recently and will start using them for the full 10,000 mile OCI when my Toyota OEM filters are used up.

I do like the M1 EP oil and all of my cars run it. I run M1 filters in my other cars but the Camry gets OEM or Ultras in the future. I think either would be a great choice as you shift to home maintenance. My only concern would be using the OEM filter out to the full 10,000 mile OCI but obviously a gazillion people do it under the Toyota factory service protocols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back