100K Mustang diff fluid. Need friction modifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a decent mechanic. I am coming up on 100K for the 2007 GT. The manual says to use the proper weight fluid for the diff plus friction modifier, I believe 4 oz. Mechanic says I don't need the modifier. What say 'ye?

The only way you don't need the modifier is if the fluid be used already has it in there.

If Ford limited slips are anything like GM LS diffs, you'l be in a world of trouble if you don't use that modifier.

Why wouldn't you need it? More importantly, why wouldn't you just spend a couple bucks to be safe?

Some synthetic fluids claim you don't need it, but you know what? Those guys don't have the information about your vehicle that Ford has; they're guessing.

Look for a black square with the white letters "LS" on the label. If it's not there, you need to add FM separately. Motorcraft diff lubes needs the separate FM, but Valvoline and Mobil 1 do not...I'm sure there are others as well.

Your mechanic is correct. The majority of brand name gear oil suppliers contain an LSD additive from the factory, no need to add a supplement. I have always used QS and still do.

Last edited:
Most synthetic fluids don't require the additive. The rear end will chatter when turning tightly if you use a fluid without it. No harm, just noisy.

My dad lost the rear end in his F150 about 15 years ago because he changed it and didn't add a friction modifier.

I would refer to the FSM and go by that, mechanics are typically wrong in this area.

Last edited:
The few times I tried using Mobil 1 in a trac-lok (Ford's "posi") dif, it still required FM after some test driving.

The Ford fluid does not come with modifier already mixed in so it must be added. Your Mustang does have a clutch type limited slip, so you need to make sure that there is a modifier in there.

I still remember the day when I learned to rebuild a diff. It was a '98 ranger with a LSD. When it was time to refill the rear end, I didn't have any 75w-140 which was specd for it so I filled it exclusively with Lucas HDOS. It worked without a hiccup for years.

I use royal purple in my differential and even though they say it has a friction modifier inside I still added a bottle of Mopar friction modifier to it. A whole $7 and no risk of chirping around or breaking any metal components inside. Just add it. Better safe then sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back