TV Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shopping for a tv antenna to put in my attic. The only constraint is that I need to get the antenna through an 18" square access panel. Any suggestions?

I think it can be really hard to recommend an antenna just due to the fact that some will work better than others based on where you are located/ immediate obstacles / distance from the towers, etc.

I bought my elderly mom a Mohu Curve 50 ( amplified ) that's simple and works well as an OTA antenna. It's generally highly rated but, again, may or may not work in your locate...or for your purpose.

I tried to get an idea of the channels it would pick up based on the antennaweb.org site referenced above but there was a relatively low correlation. I got the channels they said I'd have a hard time receiving and didn't get the ones that were supposed to be the strongest. All in all, she gets around 30-35 channels and is typically around 25 miles from the transmission towers.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think it can be really hard to recommend an antenna just due to the fact that some will work better than others based on where you are located/ immediate obstacles / distance from the towers, etc.

Good advice. Try using tvfool.com and plug in your address. The application will provide a 360 'radar' pattern of your local stations. If all the stations are in one direction, then probably a 4 bay whisker antenna will play well. If you have many stations in different directions, you need something omni-directional.

If you are out in the boonies, you may need something mounted outside.

Tv signals are funny things. Antenna location A few feet N,S,E or W can have a signal be 95% or 15%.

So that ideal location you have in mind for the location in your attic, a few feet to either side if it might increase reception 3 fold on some channels and reduce it on others.

Some LED lights affect Tv reception

Run some autoscans for channels, trial and error style before devoting a location for the antenna.

TV fool.com will tell you if you still have channels in the VHF hi band. If there are channels still being broadcast on 7 to 13 actual in your area, these require longer antenna elements than UHF channels.

Finding the strongest signal location for your favorite channel might be a PITA that compromises other channels.

I have the $30 radio shack UHF only directional antenna. It still gets VHF high channels 8 & 10 fine. It's right up top of my roof. I think Channel Master actually makes it.

Beware if you have foil in your insulation, either backing fiberglas or part of some vinyl siding underlayment. This will wreck attic reception.

Your always better to roof mount when ever possible. FEDERAL LAW prohibits anyone preventing you from doing so.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Your always better to roof mount when ever possible. FEDERAL LAW prohibits anyone preventing you from doing so.
I thought you were full of it when I read your post. Turns out you were right. I didn't think anything could stop HOA nazis.

A small attic antenna pulls in all the major channels around here.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: CKN
I thought you were full of it when I read your post. Turns out you were right. I didn't think anything could stop HOA nazis.

A small attic antenna pulls in all the major channels around here.

Most HOAs are familiar with this law. Many HOAs have lost in court in previous times, so many no longer even try to fight it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back