Shell V-power nitro plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how much more is gas in California ?? It's way higher there than everywhere but Hawaii and Alaska. I honestly feel bad for you all out there. It's crazy how much more per gallon you all pay than everywhere else.

I do like Shell the best but it is 30 cents a gallon higher than any other station. But it does run so good in my car I go there almost exclusively.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Garak, I can see what your saying. A little tweak to the recipe and a more aggressive marketing campaign. It is effective though. Nitro plus definitely has a ring to it!!

And that's fine by me. I don't see other oil companies in North America having such wide reaching campaigns. Their V-Power and V-Power Nitro Plus campaigns have been everywhere over the years, on TV, radio, and in print.

I have a diesel, and Nitro+ isn't available here (or not marketed as such), but my car and especially DPF like V-power diesel the best of all fuels available.

Second place is for Gulf Diesel (import from the USA I believe)

All other fuels are in joined last place....

The Gulf diesel is amongst the cheapest aswell, while shell V-power is the most expensive. No brainer for me...

thanks for all the input. Looks like no one is really sure what the differences are. Whatever they are I'm sure it is just as good if not better than the old formula.

The old Shell V-power had x5 the detergent level of the minimum Top Tier standard. Shell's 87 and 89 have x2 the amount. The new Nitro+ has x7 the amount plus 25% more of what seems to be an UCL.

Unfortunately, Shell has always been the most expensive station in my area. I tried Nitro for about 6 fill ups because the new station near my house was only 3 cents more expensive than the other Top Tier stations. On the 4th fill up that went up to 6 cents more expensive, and on the last fill up it was 9 cents more expensive. Needless to say, I will be switching to Quiktrip and Philip's 66.

Using premium fuel just for the extra detergents is not a cost effective move. Figure out how much extra per year this is going to cost you and then weight it against the cost of adding one bottle of a quality PEA fuel system cleaner per year. I'm sure you'll find that you are spending WAY more running premium fuel than the cost of one bottle of cleaner.

Cost isn't a variable in this discussion whatsoever. I just like to use the best products I can in my vehicles.

I use Vpower and PEA additives (RP Max clean) every 15k miles.

It is just cost of doing business. If you have a nice vehicle, then keeping it nice and running right costs money and time.

I'm not cheap like some. I think some members here reuse paper towels lol. In my vehicles, I don't use oil filters more than once, air filters get changed periodically throughout the year and I darn sure don't use bunker fuel. Lol. Just a different approach to PM that's all.

I have ran 5 tanks of v-power nitro 5 tanks of premium chevron and 5 tanks of Texaco premium and ended up with 87 shell very little difference for me I have a 2014 ecoboost 3.5L f-150. It all comes down to what you like. I have a fuel saver network card and regularly get 10 cents off a gallon and that is why I stick with shell. I do use MMO occasionally and lucas UCl it does make the motor noise smoother. As far as ethanol I am in texas so its in all of it. the Moral I it makes you feel good AMEN! I ran all on similar flat conditions trips where 700 miled not a lot in MPG

Last edited:
Cost isn't a variable in this discussion whatsoever. I just like to use the best products I can in my vehicles.

I use Vpower and PEA additives (RP Max clean) every 15k miles.

It is just cost of doing business. If you have a nice vehicle, then keeping it nice and running right costs money and time.

I'm not cheap like some.

You can call me cheap if you like but I sure like saving $10 per tankful by running Costco premium in my Corvette and in my wife's BMW compared to Shell V-power. That's a substantial savings over the course of the year. Costco premium might not have the same level of detergents as Shell but it is a Top Tier fuel so I'm comfortable with that.

If my G37 could run regular and I was only worried about cleaning, well, the differential between regular and premium in this province can buy a lot of Red Line SI-1.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Capa
thanks for all the input. Looks like no one is really sure what the differences are. Whatever they are I'm sure it is just as good if not better than the old formula.

The old Shell V-power had x5 the detergent level of the minimum Top Tier standard. Shell's 87 and 89 have x2 the amount. The new Nitro+ has x7 the amount plus 25% more of what seems to be an UCL.

Linky or stinky!

Patman: how are you saving $10 per tank? Do you just have a bigger tank or is the price difference that much more in your area? It only costs me about 30c more per gallon for nitro plus. That works out to be $4.50 extra per tank (15 gallon tank). And I fill her car up about twice a month, so I spend $9 a month more for Vpower, which comes out to roughly $108 USD a year. Doesn't seem that bad to me.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely going to keep using it. I like the idea of 7x the additives. i really appreciate the links!!!

Last edited:
Since we are on the topic, Conoco/Phillips 66 has 3 times the detergent level of the minumum federal standard:

http://www.phillips66gas.com/performancegas/

Also, as of 2014, Costo has 5 times the amount:

http://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html

I know that there have been studies on Top Tier fuel vs the federal minumum and I only run T.T. fuel since in Oklahoma it is the same price as the non Top Tier fuels (except Shell). However, I would love to see a study on Top Tier gas vs Top Tier gas. If anyone knows of such a study, politely provide a link.

Originally Posted By: maximus

It's been widley proven that using premium in a vehicle that wasn't designed for it is a waste of $$$

Toyota actually warns against using premium in the Prius family - due to potential deposit buildup since premium burns slower and the 1NZ-FXE/2ZR-FXE uses Akinson cycle and the risk of a "late start" is there. But they do say premium provides better engine performance in most models but is not required.

Most of the Japanese OEMs say regular(87) is fine but suggest premium for best engine performance, while the European "regular" is our premium here - since octane ratings are stated differently worldwide.

To stay relevant, I use mostly Costco, Shell, Chevron or 76. Just depends on who's cheaper or if I happen to be near a Costco.

Last edited:
Patman: how are you saving $10 per tank? Do you just have a bigger tank or is the price difference that much more in your area?

The price difference is simply that big! Right now for example, the Shell near my house is selling Nitro plus for $1.239 per liter, but Costco's premium is only $1.059 per liter! Both the BMW and Corvette have tanks that are at least 60L, so that's actually a $10.80 savings at 60L.

Wow that sucks. Why is fuel so expensive in Canada? No refineries in your country? Everything has to be imported or what?

If the cost difference is thst high you sre better off putting in redline si1 or other additive in maintenence dose every fillup or everyother fillup.

As for me I ran about 4tanks of new nitro through. I think they just added some ucl as I can feel my car runs smoother.
However I get an even more pronouced improvement feeling if i were to do my own additives with si1,even at lower rates and alternating dosing. 1 bottle over 100gallons is about a 10cent/gallon cost

So if the price increase for nitro is very high, you can diy with redline, and the redline option gives you more benefit at a potentially lower cost..

So I will buy if it's the same or within say 5 cents of chevron or other top tier, otherwise I'll skip and not pay a high premium. Convenience though trumps all other optimization, im not goung to have any of this run my life

Caveat, if you notice zero difference in your car perhaps there is no benefit for your car, but that doesnt mean that there are zero benefit for every car. So please dont post "all additives and fuel grades are a waste of money, run the cheapest regular"

Last edited:
Wow that sucks. Why is fuel so expensive in Canada? No refineries in your country? Everything has to be imported or what?

Taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back