Super mega "godzilla" El Niño this winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surfstar, tell us more about how you take a bicycle everywhere and don't have A/C or a cloths dryer. Were trees cut down so your residence could be built. Saving the Earth starts with you.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
.... Insurance against the fact that we don't yet know what decades of emitting mass quantities of long buried carbon might do. ....

Wait ... what?

Originally Posted By: hatt
Surfstar, tell us more about how you take a bicycle everywhere and don't have A/C or a cloths dryer. Were trees cut down so your residence could be built. Saving the Earth starts with you.

Each one of us are guilty of destroying the planet...does this come as news to you?

Again the discussion is about understanding the science of GW vs fraudulent Denier claims. Do you admit you are complicit in destroying the planet in many ways including your life style of sending tons of CO2 into the atmosphere?

I freely admit I am contributing to the problem. What's your point?

Last edited:
Re: Trend or to use your version TREND.
What's the scale of the y-axis on your temp chart? 0.05°C. There's the answer to your Q. That's a tiny, tiny amount. What would it look like if the scale was 1°C?

I can post pretty-pics too, but then you can go look them up yourself as well!

Your population "bomb" graph looks a lot like Ehrlich's I referred to earlier. Have you read his book? LOOK! at it!

Quote:
Does that make sense to you guys? Think we CAN make a difference in global climate? No other species has the ability to harness and exploit natural resources like humans. Now look at our population size. Think we should maybe care about how we're using those resources and try to limit our impact when its possible? What's wrong with that? It costs some money/economic growth, yes. But we don't know how effed we might be if we don't do something about it. We could be fine, we might not be. WE DON'T KNOW. We can't go back in time after the fact, so we focus on going ahead and planning on not effing things up as we go. Why would you fight that? Its CYA for the human race and the Earth.

No. No. Mother Nature dwarfs us in comparison. No. What is FUBAR are the same old, same old graphs used without any details on the data shown. What IS obvious is your level of panic, insecurity, alarm, hysteria, anxiety, worry & fear. Those levels are indeed off the scale....and increasing.

Lastly, spare me about the "fragile-ness" of Earth. It's anything but. Else we wouldn't be having this type-versation. Wanna know what planet in our SS really does have a FRAGILE atmosphere? Search through my previous posts for the answer and why.

Good luck....

Crazy agenda based writer of that article. Gee, ties to the Hartland Institute and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Harris_(mechanical_engineer)
"the ICSC is a "denier organization" that "know the answers and seek only confirmation that they are right. One group of minds is open; the other closed"."

and, already covered above. Are deniers running out of articles to present?

Alinsky's tactic: RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it. Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)

First, you attack Harris, then ICSC, then ask for others to attack as well. How typical of radicalized mass-movements in their continuing efforts to progress the movement, deflect criticism and maintain the facade.

Dude...the wheels have long come off your "movement". It's in the ditch...in pieces. Wake Up. You took the wrong pill. You have no clothes! Yet you have no ears to hear, no eyes to see and far too little smarts to think for yourself!

Dude...you need to CHILL OUT. Relax. Calm down. Take a powder. Get your script filled. Back away from the keyboard and go wax your ride.

I shop for mpg in my vehicles, only buy used ones, but that's more related to saving $, and just happens to help with resources.

Whenever I heard people go crazy about saving the Earth etc, my bumper sticker motto is "save the Earth, kill yourself" - I dislike the wacko extremeists on either side of a discussion. We need to meet somewhere in the middle.
We all have impacts. Individually we are nothing like a corporation. We have regulations that have successfully cleaned up our air. Many fought those kicking and screaming. Same with safety; whether consumer or worker.

Now its time we look at the climate.
sleddriver, you really think 7+B people (and multiplying) can't mess up the climate? We cut down trees that would naturally absorb C02 and at the same time, are releasing it via fossil fuels that have been sequestered for millions of years. We are doing this on a decadal timescale. YES, we can make an impact. That's why taking the steps to lesson that impact, should be a part of our future. Its a slow process...

People will proclaim that China and India won't do anything, but the US never signed Kyoto. So why try, right? Like air regulations that started in CA and worked their way across the US eventually, it can take effect, it can be cleaned up. It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. (Rage Against the Machine quote)

The ecosystems of Earth are quite fragile. They have evolved to be in balance over millions of years. The rate of change is what they cannot handle. Humans are causing an acceleration of events. Look into coral reef bleaching and die-off. Millions of years old reef systems cannot keep up with the accelerated warming of waters, or clouding of waters that blocks out the sun, due to algal growth from nutrients that we put in the ocean.

I just cannot fathom that people who have an understanding of biology and Nature, can simply state that we aren't messing anything up or capable of it. Get out some more. Observe these systems for yourself. You will see how fragile they are. Hike up a high mountain peak, marvel at a tiny flower that has adapted over eons to eek out an existence in a certain biological niche.
It is fragile. We are making an impact.

Again, I ask, why should we not be concerned? I never said stop all growth or industry. We are smart enough to find solutions. We lack the proper motivation. Greed is more overwhelming. Some people believe "Corporations are people, too". That isn't the long-term view that will help us survive as a species. "I'm not a scientist, but..." isn't who we should be listening to.

You guys keep arguing over that .02*. That's not the point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
First, you attack Harris, then ICSC, then ask for others to attack as well. How typical of radicalized mass-movements in their continuing efforts to progress the movement, deflect criticism and maintain the facade.

My "attacks" were simply to expose the organization's mission and who is funding it. If that's all it takes to "attack" something, then maybe that wasn't a very strong argument to begin with. Nothing personal, and not deep digging. Took all of googling and reading for 2 mins.
That's not a personal attack on anyone. Its simply the easiest and quickest way to undermine the "articles" that the anti-GW crowd loves to push as (dare I say) Gospel.

Tom Harris (Mechanical Engineer) is low hanging fruit ripe to mock. He has headed several groups that lobbied (for money from cigarette companies, energy companies, etc) to fight EPA regulations. [Readers digest..he is not a climatologist] ICSC is just one of those companies.

How about giving us the name of an organization that supports the Deniers' claim.

Quote:
Dude...the wheels have long come off your "movement". It's in the ditch...in pieces. Wake Up. You took the wrong pill. You have no clothes! Yet you have no ears to hear, no eyes to see and far too little smarts to think for yourself!

Yup the wheels have fallen off...The U.S. National Academy of Sciences (The premier organization of its kind in the world..bar none. Just hasn't figured it out yet.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The ecosystems of Earth are quite fragile.
Not really. You guys keep talking about "destroying!" That's impossible. We may temporarily change a few things but in the end have little impact. It's taken hits from asteroids, comets, supervolcanos, who knows what else. The end result was all those cataclysms were easily dealt with. If we set everything on fire and let loose all the nukes tomorrow in a blink of the eye you'd never know it. We could probably use a sci fi weapon and turn the Earth into dust and it'd coalesce back into a planet and start over. Releasing stored carbon certainly isn't going to cause any issues.

Originally Posted By: Al
The bottom line is that the deniers do not trust the advanced sience, they trust junk science. They do not trust the readings. They do not trust the way the readings were taken. They deny the accuracy of the readings. They believe the readings were manipulated. They question minor minutia in .001% of credible evidence that means nothing.....on and on and on.

They trust Heartland Institute, Rush Limbauh, Sean Hannity, Glen Beck and the other freakshows out there.

They feel the 300 organizations out there (like the National Academy of Sciences) and practically every world wide institute of higher learning are in a conspiracy to push GW agendas.

Akin to the 9/11 conspiracists.

The bottom line Al, is that you're screwing with all of us. You keep slinging schlock from the hip, hoping something will stick. A textbook definition of Al's Tower of Babel. Playing "Feed Me (Troll)", "I want attention", "I'm bored", "I'm old and retired and have nothing else to do".

Originally Posted By: Al
smile.gif
I have nothing to do right now except pI$$ people off.
BINGO! Truer words were never spoken.

You're not interested in the facts, much less a thorough discussion...you're trolling for attention and feeding your own ego by rabble-rousing, stirring an already boiling pot, and being an agitator, spouting agit-prop babel. Why? Because you get off on it and have nothing better to do.

What are you..68? 70? That puts you on the leading edge of the Baby Boomers. You're one of the 60's crowd, the flower-power generation. You were the one wearing your girlfriends pink panties in that photo from WoodStock, weren't you! Where this whole manic-organic mess started. To your generation, it's been one great, big party. Problem is you left a huge mess behind, drank all the booze, trashed the place, never bothered to clean up, nor pay the bar tab, much less the check. You left all that for the younger generations, for MY generation in particular. You've been on a decades long Magic Carpet Ride, blindly following your generations Pied Pipers.

My my what a tangled web you weave when your intent is to deceive.

Amazing you voted for the very system that's going to be [censored] [censored] [censored] in your retirement years! Guess who their customer is? Yea, you crazy, old, statist boomers. You old crusties, you. Your fate is now in the hands of the DHHS, remember? Sebellus now has your dance card.

You've had your fun, you crusty old sod! It's been (un)real and fun, but it's not been real fun. Therefore, I'm going to withdraw as I've already made my point.

You've been a bad boy, Al! A very bad boy. And a bad speller!

Quote:
The ecosystems of Earth are quite fragile.
Not really. You guys keep talking about "destroying!" That's impossible. We may temporarily change a few things but in the end have little impact. It's taken hits from asteroids, comets, supervolcanos, who knows what else. The end result was all those cataclysms were easily dealt with. If we set everything on fire and let loose all the nukes tomorrow in a blink of the eye you'd never know it. We could probably use a sci fi weapon and turn the Earth into dust and it'd coalesce back into a planet and start over. Releasing stored carbon certainly isn't going to cause any issues.

If you care about your life and those of your family/friends or humans in general... I'm speechless.
The Earth has suffered multiple mass-extinction events. We weren't around for the previous ones, but its possible we're actually creating the next one.
If our species happens to be one of those that don't make it out of an extinction event, then, yeah that might be devastating. Again, only if you care about yourself or other humans.

We track asteroids that might be large enough and near enough to cause great harm. We are trying to devise ways to deflect them. Are you anti-that?

Again, what are you gaining personally by arguing against GW?
If we may be contributing to what could be a massive problem for our future selves or later generations, what do you gain by sticking your head in the sand?

lolz @sleddriver - talking about personal attacks earlier and comes out with his own.

I'm sure Al is grownup enough to handle it and would like for the true discussion to continue and not get closed or side-tracked by random ranting.

..... We are smart enough to find solutions. ....

Apparently, we're not.

Al keeps on bringing up the national Academy of Sciences, and, according to them, we're just screwed:

"The current CO -induced warming of Earth is therefore essentially irreversible on human timescales. The amount and rate of further warming will depend almost entirely on how much more CO2 humankind emits."

From page 24 of their booklet found here:

http://nas-sites.org/americasclimatechoi...nce-and-causes/

It's entirely conclusory, and the reader can make up their own mind as to how much weight to give it.

Meanwhile, I'm done.

If you care about your life and those of your family/friends or humans in general... I'm speechless.
The Earth has suffered multiple mass-extinction events. We weren't around for the previous ones, but its possible we're actually creating the next one.
If our species happens to be one of those that don't make it out of an extinction event, then, yeah that might be devastating. Again, only if you care about yourself or other humans.

We track asteroids that might be large enough and near enough to cause great harm. We are trying to devise ways to deflect them. Are you anti-that?

Again, what are you gaining personally by arguing against GW?
If we may be contributing to what could be a massive problem for our future selves or later generations, what do you gain by sticking your head in the sand?
GW is a money/power grab. I'm gaining personally by trying to not give them money and power. If you think CO2 is going to damage the Earth you've simply gone insane or onboard the takeover. Even if everything happens just like they say it won't matter. Warm times are good for humans, and probably animals too. That's the bottom line. If you want to talk about dumping industrial waste into the river I'll jump on the ship. I was watching a documentary on the fashion industry the other day. It was showing [censored] holes like India and Bangladesh. Cities, and farms, were just toxic waste dumps. People sick and dying. Some absolute idiot was so stupid he mentioned climate change. Just a total lunatic nut. Seen all that actual pollution but was concerned with a common gas essential to life on the planet. Was that you? You want to spend trillions to combat a problem that even if it did exist and we could do anything about it would mean nest to nothing. Even man made CC activists realize that. Read or watch Cool It.

Last edited:

Lmao, you are a brick if you ever, ever think we could deflect an asteroid. Look into the energy required, look into the number of launches of immense thermonuclear weapons that would be required (well ahead of time), and look into the cost. It will NEVER happen.

Akin to the 9/11 conspiracists. [/quote

The bottom line Al, is that you're screwing with all of us. You keep slinging schlock from the hip, hoping something will stick. A textbook definition of Al's Tower of Babel. Playing "Feed Me (Troll)", "I want attention", "I'm bored", "I'm old and retired and have nothing else to do".

The real bottom line is you have yet to come up with one credible organization or one climatologist that has submitted numerous peer reviewed papers disputing GW. Maybe I missed it.

You are good at random, irrelevant sound bites though..I'll give you credit.. I suppose this thread has run its course. You are providing nothing new on the subject. While I keep asking for scientific facts.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Lmao, you are a brick if you ever, ever think we could deflect an asteroid. Look into the energy required, look into the number of launches of immense thermonuclear weapons that would be required (well ahead of time), and look into the cost. It will NEVER happen.

+1
The mathematically challenged don't understand the significance of the V-squared term, particularly when V alone is > Mach25. Facts are indeed inconvenient things!

Originally Posted By: Turk

35F this morning. Burrrrr!!!

Really? That's cold, way too cold for August! Send a little my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back