Thoughts on this safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
It will keep the honest people out and slow down the crooks. It is what it is. Just remember. It will not fit 14 guns unless they are all Daisy Red Riders. It will fit 7 or 8 full size guns depending on the size of optics installed.

Exactly. As I posted earlier, it is a step above a cabinet and certainly better than nothing.

Oz, you need to have a three point locking mechanism (or 3 padlocks), and have more than 150KG weight (empty), or have it bolted to concrete or house with 4 off 1/2" bolts, coah screws, locksons etc.

They (Police) come check them every couple of years.

I had a big galvanised trailer toolbox disguised as a couch for a decade, passed 3 inspections, 1 burglary.

For what it's intended, the proposed "safe" is a good thing, better than what most people have.

Everyone in these type of threads always seems to worry way too much about fire protection. The problem isn't fire. Water is the most damaging thing to happen in homes today. Insurance statistics support this. And there are very few safes that will protect you from water damage. In this regard every gun safe in New Orleans was totally useless to it's owner. Even the "Bank Vault" types.

Remember, your plumbing system is only as strong as it's weakest link. Most washing machines are connected, and are under constant city pressure, with little more than a rubber garden hose connecting them. Most all modern ice makers on refrigerators today, are connected with plastic lines. As are under the sink R/O Drinking Water Systems. They all feature "snap together" fittings that are all but designed to leak. If these things let go while your gone, literally thousands of gallons of water can be discharged into your home in a 12 hour period.

I had a co worker friend who had a large diameter, main supply pipe burst, (CPVC), in the wall shortly after he and his wife left for work. When he returned later that night he was greeted to water cascading out of his garage and front door. The water company checked the meter, and they estimate at least 12,000 GALLONS had discharged into his home.

The total damage including furniture and personal property loss was well over $50,000.00. I'm not saying your home can't catch fire. But the odds of you losing firearms to water damage are far greater. And it can happen regardless of where you live.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Your gun safe isn't going to flood if a pipe burst in your house. It takes an actual flood to flood your gun safe.

The same still applies. The latter often happens in even desert climates.

"In a high-risk area, your home is more likely to be damaged by flood than by fire."

"Flash floods often bring walls of water 10 to 15 feet high."

https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/flood_facts.jsp

Good thing I have a 2.5 story house and keep the safe on the top floor then. Won't have to worry about a flood unless a twister rips the house up and throws the safe the 5 miles to the nearest water source.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
What is your primary concern? Protection against theft, or fire, or both? I built a lockable cabinet in our master bedroom closet, and that's where I store our firearms. They're not protected from fire, but I'm more concerned about theft and keeping them away from the kids than I am about fire.

(Nobody take the bait!!)

Don't waste (vs waist) your money.

these are HEAVY and don't really offer any kind of protection.

Just get security cabinet.
https://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-cabinets-gun-cabinets/products/67

they light and cost around $100 on sale.

this meet the requirement to keep firearms locked.

Stack on security cabinet? You have got to be kidding me!! I can break into one of those in about 6 seconds taking my time. And so can a burglar.

Your average residential security container is MUCH better than a Stack on cabinet. They require dedicated tools and at least 5 minutes to break into usually.

And to the OP dont even consider that SENTINEL gun safe. I will scream from the roof tops how bad they are after seeing my father in laws piece of junk.

Another good (cheap) option is a jobsite lock box. They are built really sturdy, you can put industrial strength cut proof locks on them, and most burglars will just bypass it. Put a decoy sign on it that says something like, "wire and wire nut storage" and burglars will not even pay attention to it.

IMG_0098.jpg

The "on site" job boxes work well. They are easily disguised, and they are waterproof up to the locks. I added over 40, 25 pound bags of shot, (1,000+ pounds), to the bottom of both of mine. It's a good place to store it. And it give's the bottom a nice soft surface. If anyone tries to carry it out, I wish them luck. And when I'm home, it makes a nice display table for my .50 BMG.

WoW ! you and bubbatime let the secret out. Store all my ammo and couple guns in the Greenlee. Mine is anchored to the garage floor so thieves can't wheel it out with a hand truck (dolly).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastGame
WoW ! you and bubbatime let the secret out. Store all my ammo and couple guns in the Greenlee.

I still have 2 of the standard style "Gun Safes". Along with a couple of the cheaper Stack-On models. All do what they're designed to do. I don't worry much as someone is always home.

You guys are making me stray away from the safe. Thanks for the advice.

Billt, do you have those green cabinets fastened to the walls/ floor in any way?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
You guys are making me stray away from the safe. Thanks for the advice.

Billt, do you have those green cabinets fastened to the walls/ floor in any way?

No. The 2 smaller Stack-On models I have lag bolted to the wall studs. Both On-Site boxes I have weighted down with over 1,000 pounds of lead shot each. (I shoot a lot of Trap, and reload extensively for shotgun.) It won't stop a professional burglar, but pros seldom break into middle class, suburban, cookie cutter houses. Insurance statistics show most suburban home break in's are by kids 15 and under.

Most are in the house for under 2 minutes. "Smash & Grab" type hits. They're looking for quick cash, jewelry, electronics, and other easily fenced items. They don't break into homes with Acetylene torches, drills, and 6 foot Railroad Bars. I'm not saying you cannot be robbed by a professional burglar, but the odds are quite remote. So I protect what I can accordingly.

Just a thought if you're considering one of the On-Site job boxes as a safe. I have both the Greenlee, as well as the Rigid pictured by Bubba. Of the 2 I like the locking system on the Greenlee better. It has recessed wells for both padlocks that keep them well protected, and out of sight.

They cannot be gotten to by bolt cutters or lock picking tools. On the Rigid, the body of the padlock itself provides the locking surface that engages the locking latches of the box. It's not a bad set up, but the locks on the Greenlee pass through a hole in the upper latching device. While the Rigid is quicker and easier to open, the Greenlee provides a bit better overall locking protection. You'll see what I mean when you examine both.

You can get these through any Home Depot or Lowe's. If you don't see the size you want, just ask the manager. They will be happy to order any size you want, and they'll get it in just a few days. Stay away from these "contractor supply" places, unless of course you're a contractor. They tend to charge a lot more than Home Depot or Lowe's.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Stack on security cabinet? You have got to be kidding me!! I can break into one of those in about 6 seconds taking my time. And so can a burglar.

Your average residential security container is MUCH better than a Stack on cabinet. They require dedicated tools and at least 5 minutes to break into usually.

exactly, the big safes can be opened in minutes too.
so they REALLY offer anything more than cheaper options.
Fire is the other variable, the big safes are rated for x mins.

getting a pittbull might be a better security option than getting a 700 lb safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back