7mm-08 or .30-06?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the wife wants to buy me a new gun for out anniversary. I've settled on a Ruger American. They're both used in beautiful shape. Optics already installed. The 7mm-08 has a Bushnell scope and the .30-06 has a Nikon. I have a .30-06 already and 7mm-08 is a neat little round that doesn't get much love. I've shot it and its a great round. Although the .30-06 has the stickers on the gun still. Whether it's newer I'm not sure. Both are the same price so that's not a problem. On the other hand there's a .308 that's $70, it doesn't have a scope. Any one have an input on either three of these rifles? It will mostly be for target shooting at 200+ yards and at least 1 deer each fall. Thanks guys!

Target .308 ammo is going to be more common. They're all pretty much interchangeable for your stated purposes.

I meant to say the .308 is $70 cheaper. I'm thinking about it but it's another $100 for a decent scope. Hmmmm.

If you have a 30=.06 already, like semi said, the choice seems clear, the .308.

Lots of good loads for the .308.

.308 use to be the target shooting caliber before the 6mm stuff took over. Had a Remington 700P police model that was chambered in .308, and it was a very nice gun.

Well, if I went the .308 way I'd need a scope. I don't have any optics on my rifles. Can anyone recommend one that won't break the bank?

If I were considering anything 7mm, I'd go 7 WSM. The 7mm-08 is going to be hard to find, and the 7 WSM is much more powerful, flatter shooting, and can really reach out far. Since that wasn't a choice then a .308 over the 7mm-08.

Wow I just looked at Weaver scopes because they use to be good bang for the buck, and they are expensive now, but it's been a long time since I shopped for a scope 10 plus years or more.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If I were considering anything 7mm, I'd go 7 WSM. The 7mm-08 is going to be hard to find, and the 7 WSM is much more powerful, flatter shooting, and can really reach out far. Since that wasn't a choice then a .308 over the 7mm-08.
No .280 love? Does anyone other than Winchester make a 7mm WSM these days?

Any 7mm besides 7mm WinMag is likely going to be hard to find at times. 7mm-08 is easy to find on the internet. It's really a great round that should have been more popular.

The American doesn't come in .280 unfortunately. I can find 7mm-08 at Walmart and both gun shops I frequent have it less than $23 a box. I wish that .308 had a scope. They have gotten silly expensive recently.

If you need a scope for your purchase, check out Vortex scopes. They are awesome and not super expensive. I have one on my 7mm Rem Mag. I will also be purchasing one for my .243 win.

If you already have a 30-06 that can do anything a .308 can and sometimes better when it comes to heavier bullets and hotter loads. Otherwise they are pretty interchangeable. I had a 7mm-08 over 10 years ago and it was a fantastic deer rifle. Ammo was not hard to find. Meat damage was minimal. Bullet went in the size of my finger and came out the size of a quarter. The deer dropped fine and it was accurate. Shoots faster than a .308. Mine was a Remington 700 that I traded for a video camera to record my 1st daughter. I like having the videos but wish I had never traded that gun. The guy who traded it hunted with it and never shot it before. He got a deer at over 150 yards with open sights. I shot plenty over 200 and some really close. I wanted the gun with open sights for in brushy areas when a scope was a problem. If I ever find one like that again I am buying it.

What's the drop at 200 yards on the 7mm-08. I don't know a thing about it.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
What's the drop at 200 yards on the 7mm-08. I don't know a thing about it.
Not enough to worry about if you're deer hunting. A .30-30 with Leverevolution is good out at 200.

I would go with the 7mm-08. Reasoning: Excepting bullets over 180 grain, the 30-06 and 308 are pretty similar. The 7mm-08 is at least different and will have less recoil.

For any of these rifles, just sight dead on at 200 yards. The bullet will be between 1.5 and 2 inches high at 100 and 5 or 6 inches low at 300. You should be able to hold on the center of the target and be within 3 inches up or down out to around 250 yards (point blank range).

Find a .280. Best of both worlds! But beyond those two choices I'd go 7mm-08 just because I like oddballs. The deer will never be able to tell the difference between a 30-06, 308 or 7mm-08.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back