No solicitation? Philly cop commits a crime

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/25/philadelphia-police-officer-illegal-fundraiser-video/

Quote:
A Philadelphia patrolman who appears to be pressuring a driver to support a police fundraiser or have his car towed in a video released last week has been placed on desk duty, police said. Officer Matthew Zagursky embarrassed the police department and may have committed a crime, Commissioner Charles Ramsey said. On the video, the officer asks: "You and your friend got any money to buy these thrill show tickets? Either you buy these or I take your car. 'Cause it's unregistered. Ten bucks each, man."

The uniformed officer balks at the driver's plan to buy just two tickets, and the driver ultimately agrees to give the officer $30 for three tickets. The officer also is heard making a homophobic remark while discussing pink windshield wipers on the unregistered car. The driver says they honor a grandmother who had breast cancer.

Ramsey said he learned of the video on Friday morning and plans to refer it to local prosecutors. "That's totally inappropriate, and it could very well be illegal," Ramsey said. "He tainted a cause that I think is certainly one that I think we should all be proud of." Zagursky couldn't be reached for comment because he doesn't have a listed phone number. The police union said it couldn't comment because its president was on vacation.

The fall fundraiser collects money for the families of police officers and firefighters killed on duty. Ramsey said the police department distributes tickets at district offices but does not pressure officers to sell a certain number.

The video appears to have been taken from within the car. Ramsey said he does not know when the traffic stop occurred, but he said the tickets displayed by the officer have been available for only about a month. Police learned of the video after it was posted on Facebook. They hope to learn the names of the driver and a male passenger.

Key quotes:

Quote:
A Philadelphia patrolman who appears to be pressuring a driver to support a police fundraiser or have his car towed in a video released last week has been placed on desk duty, police said. Officer Matthew Zagursky embarrassed the police department and may have committed a crime, Commissioner Charles Ramsey said.

Quote:
Ramsey said he learned of the video on Friday morning and plans to refer it to local prosecutors. "That's totally inappropriate, and it could very well be illegal," Ramsey said. "He tainted a cause that I think is certainly one that I think we should all be proud of." Zagursky couldn't be reached for comment because he doesn't have a listed phone number. The police union said it couldn't comment because its president was on vacation.

I've never had any traffic troubles in PA but.. I'll stick to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I suppose. I love Philadelphia's hills in getting around but what's up with the cops, man.

Very pro-police site here, so, let's discuss.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Well, at least he didn't shoot the driver for being tightfisted.

This is true, no shooting happened. Maybe the police have seen the light and we can all line dance at the local Applebee's now. No more worries, problems solved.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Probably go after the driver for posting video.

I been thinking about getting a GoPro, or some kind of in-car recording device.. Can you tell me why the recording or posting of an encounter with law enforcement would be a problem?

Everything I have seen on Youtube says that's fine, unless the cop has a problem with it, in which case things tend to escalate rather quickly and I'd be asking for badge numbers, etc.

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
Can you tell me why the recording or posting of an encounter with law enforcement would be a problem?

Retaliation. There was a post earlier on BITOG about a cop harassing a BITOG member because he had the hots for his wife.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Can you tell me why the recording or posting of an encounter with law enforcement would be a problem?

Retaliation. There was a post earlier on BITOG about a cop harassing a BITOG member because he had the hots for his wife.

Wow! That sounds wild!

Probably go after the driver for posting video.

I been thinking about getting a GoPro, or some kind of in-car recording device.. Can you tell me why the recording or posting of an encounter with law enforcement would be a problem?

Everything I have seen on Youtube says that's fine, unless the cop has a problem with it, in which case things tend to escalate rather quickly and I'd be asking for badge numbers, etc.
Some states have crazy laws about recording conversations. FL being one of them. You'll be able to beat the charges but it'll cost you.

The motorist is still on the hook for driving an
unregistered vehicle, I hope he gets fined for that and loses his license. The officer is wrong, but so is the motorist.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
unregistered vehicle, I hope he gets fined for that and lose their license. The officer is wrong, but so is the motorist.
What should happen to the extortionist?

unregistered vehicle, I hope he gets fined for that and lose their license. The officer is wrong, but so is the motorist.

Whatever the penalty is, I would imagine he is going to be fired.

I'm kind of surprised they let him walk (drive?) on Unregistered. In NJ (and, as far as I know, PA, - and NY, actually..) driving an Unregistered car - usually accompanied by "Fictitious Plate" - is an AUTOMATIC tow, though they may or may not ARREST the driver.. though they easily could (since how could an unregistered car be insured.)

That is the kind of thing that happens when you sell a car. Seller, sign your spots on the title.. accept your cash. if the buyer then flips the title to himself (or someone else) but doesn't get plates, which is when you need the Insurance stuff IIRC.. then the car becomes unregistered, and whatever plates were on it, and in the example I cited they would be left on the car, so when a cop or an ALPR reads it it comes back to Not On File.. you get the *woop WOOP!* and the lights, and.. You lose the car. (Usually. It gets towed but it may or may not come back out.)

That said, you can get stopped and have warrants and sometimes those warrants are in there in such a way that you can walk on those, too. Maybe they are from far away. Maybe they are old. Maybe they are for low dollar amounts. Maybe the cop is on the end of his shift. Maybe NCIC is down, as in early morning hours, for one hour. It is rare, but.. It does happen.

I have to agree with you there.. I can't imagine the Sergeant would condone that kind of aggression over charity tickets? The homophobic remarks could also be enough for "Your gun and your badge, on the desk. Now have a nice day."

If it was a normal person on the street, they would be soliciting, so.

What do YOU think should happen? You were hoping the motorist would get so and so. What are you hoping happens to the extortionist?

Last edited:

Quote:
What do YOU think should happen? You were hoping the motorist would get so and so. What are you hoping happens to the extortionist?

Honestly the only thing that matters is what the letter of the law is.

What I think doesn't matter. The officer should be following the law, if he isn't then he needs to be penalized with the consequences of the laws in place. Of course personally I think what he did is wrong, who wouldn't?

Last edited:
So you're not capable of forming an opinion? That's weird because you were all for coming up with penalties for the motorist for a relatively minor offence. Without knowing the laws I'm sure. But for public employees shaking down citizens, which most would consider a very serious offence, you just have no idea?

The cop is totally unprofessional and probably should be fired.

Having said that I would still feel safer in Philadelphia (or Detroit, Chicago etc...) with the police around than not.

PS: It's disgraceful that we live in a country where 'fundraisers' are necessary to take care of military families (Wounded Warrior etc...) police, firefighters etc.. that die in the line of duty while we give BILLIONS to other countries...

So you're not capable of forming an opinion? That's weird because you were all for coming up with penalties for the motorist for a relatively minor offence. Without knowing the laws I'm sure. But for public employees shaking down citizens, which most would consider a very serious offence, you just have no idea?

Did you even bother to READ my previous post? Of course not.
You obviously have specific agenda. I do not.

Here it is...from my PREVIOUS post.

Of course personally I think what he did is wrong, who wouldn't?

If you do not like the laws that apply to law enforcement official change them. But no you would rather bluster and howl on a website.

Last edited:
I read it. Nowhere did it say what you think the penalty should be. Which is the question. Maybe a fine and his licence revoked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back