Want a Louder Horn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Buick roadmaster horns must be the loudest made. Most buicks have loud horns. I got some from a caravan on my jeep and they get heard.

It's so the Buick driver can hear if the horn is working. Most Buick owners don't have good hearing any longer.

Most horns.are powered through a relay,
so amps drawn does not matter...

Wolo Bad Boy Max or Stebel Truck Horn...

Sounds like a loud constipated moose....

I have the truck horn...

International tractors from the last 15 years or so have electric highway (air) horns. You know what to do.........

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Buick roadmaster horns must be the loudest made. Most buicks have loud horns. I got some from a caravan on my jeep and they get heard.

It's so the Buick driver can hear if the horn is working. Most Buick owners don't have good hearing any longer.

"What'd you say? . . . Get off m' lawn, sonny!"

I was in a rental Versa a few months ago, someone pulled out in front of me and I blew the horn. Everyone in the car including me started laughing hysterically upon hearing it for the first time.

My Corolla had the silliest-sounding meep-meep horn. I replaced the horn with two from a Camry, a high and a low tone. It then sounded like a real horn. Same with the CR-V -- it had a silly meep-meep horn. I added the low tone from an Accord.

Horns really aren't rocket science. I don't mean that to sound condescending, but there's just not much to them. Any pick-a-part yard will have tons of models with two horns, a high tone and a low tone. Just find the pair that's easiest to grab.

Here you go

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-05-Volkswagen-Beetel-Front-Horn-OEM-/171865900272?fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3ABeetle&hash=item28040184f0&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I put a 2 unit horn from a Jeep on my Vibe. Believe me, everyone hears it

Early mid mopars have strong horns. I've re-horned more then a couple of beaters.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
Here you go

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-05-Volkswagen-Beetel-Front-Horn-OEM-/171865900272?fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3ABeetle&hash=item28040184f0&vxp=mtr
Strange, I just went out and took this picture of the horns on my Beetle.

Maybe the TDIs have different horns? Also my car is the loaded GLS model, maybe it has premium horns lol

1tspww.jpg

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Most horns.are powered through a relay,
so amps drawn does not matter...

What??? You must know, that's just not right. Relay or not, if an electrical device draws a certain amount of current, the wiring to that device has to be large enough to handle that much current without turning into a heating element for your wife's blow dryer, up until the moment the fuse blows.

Using a relay allows for an item that draws a lot of current, such as a horn or lights, to be operated with a switch that is not large enough to handle such heavy current loads. It does nothing to increase the amount of current that can go through a particular size of wire.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: BRZED

"What'd you say? . . . Get off m' lawn, sonny!"

I guess I'm glad you are not the Buickadmiral, admiral!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How about this if you want cheap and new?

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Freeway-Blaster-Horn/dp/B000DINKPQ

I have these on my Ciera (the high and low). One of my original horns called it quits after a nasty rain storm, so I changed them out as a pair. Funny thing is, my horns are not side by side, one is on the left fender and the other is on the right. My Fords always had them paired up as with most other cars Ive had, IIRC.

The "freeway blaster" horns are identical to ALL late model Vics. They are made by the same company, have the same model numbers (on the horns itself) and have the same sound and decibel rating. IMHO, they are the best.

My brother has a 95 Roadmaster and I do love that it sounds like a tugboat, but it doesnt carry the same urgency of the Crown Vic style set up.... it's not as loud and ""bright".

My former 93 Regal had a great sounding horn set up, old school GM horns are fun to say the least.

Went to the local Pick a Part today. Got all 4 horns from a 95' Roadmaster. We'll see how this goes, I'm not sure when I'll mount them, maybe this weekend. I'll post before and after videos of the sound difference on here. It might not have the power for all of them, so maybe I'll just mount 2, only one way to find out!

They were only 50 cents a piece, although Wednesdays is half price so their regular price may have been $1.00 each, I didn't pay attention to if the price was before or after the discount. Took less than 2 minutes to remove them.

o0xl7d.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Drive defensively and horn won't matter.

This is wrong. Absolutely, positively wrong.

When an [censored] Excursion driver is playing hammer and anvil with your subcompact and a Semi, the Excursion driver sees you and doesn't care but maybe you can make yourself heard to the Semi driver, who is a Pro that doesn't want an accident on his record.

Originally Posted By: gofastman
I'm telling ya, look at your wiring! Horns draw a lot of power, even the "meep meep" ones pull like 50w if it's available. Power like that requires at LEAST 16ga wire.

Yes, but there's more than that. Startup peak draw exceeds steady-state draw, just like an electric motor. I put a pair of PIAA dual tones on my Corolla, together they drew well under 10A, but after a few months started blowing fuses. I put in a relay and a diode and a separate 16 ga battery circuit with 20A fuse, problem gone. The original circuit just powers the relay.

The Diode is important to keep the coil in the relay from back-feeding your electrical system. Put it in parallel to the relay coil side, so that it does not flow current in normal 12V orientation. Any power supply rectification diode will do fine.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Maybe the TDIs have different horns? Also my car is the loaded GLS model, maybe it has premium horns lol

A quick check of eBay used Beetle horns and it seems that indeed, Hella's were used as an OEM horn. Interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back