Taste of soda from aluminum can vs plastic bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually do not care for soda from a can. It would be glass bottle 1st then plastic bottles 2nd with cans a very distant 3rd for my preference. I buy soda mostly in 2L bottles these days.

I stopped drinking regular soda over a decade ago. Only diet caffeine free varieties for me now. I can't drink regular soda anymore. It is so sweet my teeth ache. Kind of the same thing with Milk. Over the years I have graduated from whole to 2% to 1% and now skim. If I try and drink regular whole milk now, or even 2%, it is like a mouthful of heavy cream to me. 1% isn't too bad but can't stand whole or 2% now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

Now to really blow your mind.....beverage distribution stores (in Buffalo) used to make their own pop and put them in small glass bottles. All kinds of flavors growing up as a kid. I'm only 37!

A shame all those regional bottlers disappeared! Probably because it was so bad they had to give it away for free.

For all the crying nostalgic on the loss of glass bottles, when was the last time you went soda shopping. There's about a gajillion "craft" soda makers now that produce non-HFCS soda in glass bottles.

Just go to the soda aisle in any higher-end grocery store or even costco, and there is MORE choice than ever for your soda drinking .

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio

That said, Coke now makes one that says it has Real Sugar, and Stevia.

Where did you find Coca Cola with real cane sugar made in the USA?

I would say that until the mid 80s it was COMMON to find any soda available in glass bottles, and I agree they taste best from a cold glass bottle, and ONLY REAL CANE SUGAR!

I was a little kid in the 70s and in the mid 70s it was the norm to find ALL sodas in glass containers, and cans, even BIG ONE GALLON glass jugs, found in K Mart and other stores!

Pepsi makes a version of regular Pepsi made with real sugar which is made in the USA, but I have yet to find easily available version of Coca Cola made with real sugar NOT made in Mexico. I don't like the Mexican coke it tastes too flat, and a hint of brown sugar, not like the US version made in the USA until the mid 80s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I don't like the Mexican coke it tastes too flat, and a hint of brown sugar, not like the US version made in the USA until the mid 80s.

Mexican coke got some extra kick. Could be the brown sugar. It keeps me going and going and going.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Remember the 3 liter?

They still exist in some markets, here we have store brands in
3L versions, but not the main brands.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Remember the 3 liter?

They still exist in some markets, here we have store brands in
3L versions, but not the main brands.

X2

Well. I've been looking now, and seeing the little glass bottles of Coke, etc., in stores. They also have aluminum bottles of Sprite. The glass bottles appear to be non-twist off.

Only one store I have seen them says Imported Cola.

The bottle of this says Real Sugar and Stevia. I wonder how it tastes. It being a soda, I have always passed.

coca-cola-life.jpg

Royal Crown cola was a favorite of mine growing up.

We also forget that the lip of where we drink, from an aluminum can, is different than where the bottle opening is on a bottle, which is only glass or plastic, unless it's that aluminum can I mentioned.

Well. I've been looking now, and seeing the little glass bottles of Coke, etc., in stores. They also have aluminum bottles of Sprite. The glass bottles appear to be non-twist off.

The bottle of this says Real Sugar and Stevia. I wonder how it tastes. It being a soda, I have always passed.

coca-cola-life.jpg

InfmousCornholio:

You live in the Allentown area or nearby, I ask because I have heard that the Coca Cola bottling/canning plant there does make the passover version of Coke and that contains real cane sugar.

Interesting about Coke Life using both Cane Sugar and Stevia.

From what I remember,the soda industry was ruined when the "new Coke" came out in the mid 80s? I remember it tasted a lot like Pepsi. It was so hated by the Coca Cola loyalists that they soon discontinued it and brought back a close version of the original what was know as "Coke Classic" (maybe around 1986?). It was close BUT now contained high fructose corn syrup instead of pure cane sugar,and the rest of the soft drink companies did the exact same.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
From what I remember,the soda industry was ruined when the "new Coke" came out in the mid 80s? I remember it tasted a lot like Pepsi. It was so hated by the Coca Cola loyalists that they soon discontinued it and brought back a close version of the original what was know as "Coke Classic" (maybe around 1986?). It was close BUT now contained high fructose corn syrup instead of pure cane sugar,and the rest of the soft drink companies did the exact same.

This is true, I am old enough to remember the New Coke fiasco, it was big news back then (simpler times for sure) I almost wonder if this wasn't an intentional screw up on Coca Cola's part. Perhaps they were trying to distract the consumer from their actual objective which was to start using high fructose corn syrup in their product in general. I can't remember if New Coke arrived with HFCS at the introduction or not? Can you remember?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was how they prevented the focus being on the substitution of HFCS in either version of Coca Cola.
More devious things have happened in the foods business.

I absolutely can detect HFCS when two identical products are compared blindly, one with cane sugar the other with HFCS, there is a DEFINITE difference, cane sugar gives a more crisp, clean taste without a strange aftertaste and mouth feel is good, while the HFCS has a slippery mouth feel to it as well, which I certainly do NOT like.

coca-cola-life.jpg

InfmousCornholio:

You live in the Allentown area or nearby, I ask because I have heard that the Coca Cola bottling/canning plant there does make the passover version of Coke and that contains real cane sugar.

Interesting about Coke Life using both Cane Sugar and Stevia.

Used to live Nearby, and I'm sort of ping-ponging around the area as of late. Heck, I was in Brooklyn yesterday, where Domino's used to be a sugar maker, lol. A lot of the cola is in Purchase, NY (I have never been) but yeah i took an interest in this for a time.

I was just in a store before I jumped on my computer, I would take a picture of the Coca Cola Life bottle, but my phone took a dive. My quick search couldn't find it online, but, yes, Stevia AND real sugar!

I've probably been conditioned to think that the artificial sweetners make a soda taste how it "should" taste. Is probably why I think real sugar soda is nasty.

This is true, I am old enough to remember the New Coke fiasco, it was big news back then (simpler times for sure) I almost wonder if this wasn't an intentional screw up on Coca Cola's part. Perhaps they were trying to distract the consumer from their actual objective which was to start using high fructose corn syrup in their product in general. I can't remember if New Coke arrived with HFCS at the introduction or not? Can you remember?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was how they prevented the focus being on the substitution of HFCS in either version of Coca Cola.
More devious things have happened in the foods business.

I absolutely can detect HFCS when two identical products are compared blindly, one with cane sugar the other with HFCS, there is a DEFINITE difference, cane sugar gives a more crisp, clean taste without a strange aftertaste and mouth feel is good, while the HFCS has a slippery mouth feel to it as well, which I certainly do NOT like.

I can't remember if the HFCS was immediately in the reintroduced Coke Classic to not,BUT,I do remember it not tasting the same,so I'm guessing definitely. I can as well taste the difference in an instant. Soft drinks with the HFCS have that "wang" to them when you swallow (that weird metallic aftertaste),whereas natural cane sugar is smooth and sweet). Yep you're right,the mid 1980s were such a simpler time!! Remember the "Pepsi Challenge"? That might've been the late 1970s?

I can't stand Coke from a can. Way too syrupy. It's better from a fountain or bottle. Pepsi tastes good from any of them though.

They have Pepsi that's "made with real sugar" and tastes horrible.

The local Ace Hardware sells Coke from a glass bottle made in Mexico, that's some good stuff! Had one yesterday.

We used to have Dublin soft drinks here. Root beer,grape,Dr Pepper. They were delicious!! Nothing like mass produced soft drinks which I think are discusting. It was like desert in a bottle!

Originally Posted By: otis24
I've recently stopped drinking soda. A good cold Big Red in a glass bottle might just be too much temptation though!

I've always wondered,what exactly is Big Red? Is it bubblegum,strawberry?

It is supposed to be cherry. I always thought it tasted like buble gum!

I wish they would still make a 10 oz or 12 oz glass bottle that was reasonably priced. I've pretty much stopped drinking pop, but for an ocassional hankering, a small bottle would be great.

If you are like me, you prefer it from an aluminum can, let us say Pepsi. I can taste Pepsi frequently colder if nicely refrigerated and not hard frozen, with a nice flavor and sippable taste, vs being effectively chugged down from a transparent plastic bottle that only probably has the same effects as light-stretching of beer in green bottles, but also may keep the soda hotter. I also tastes much more syrup in the bottle.

Has anyone else noticed this.

Going back to the original post in this thread, I don't see how the aluminum can possibly impart anything other than a plastic flavor on the contents, since every can has a resin coating and the content never touches the aluminum. Maybe the resin coating inside a can does not impart as strong a plastic flavor as a regular plastic bottle?

I've recently stopped drinking soda. A good cold Big Red in a glass bottle might just be too much temptation though!

I've always wondered,what exactly is Big Red? Is it bubblegum,strawberry?

It is supposed to be cherry. I always thought it tasted like buble gum!

Yep,definitely tastes like bubblegum. Then I was also thinking that Big Red is "Big Red" flavored. A patented flavor under the name Big Red,that's really not an identifiable flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back