What oil to use if towing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I have an '04 Impala with 65K miles on it that's had it's oil changed religiously by it's previous owner (relative).

I may be moving and would be towing a U-Haul with about 800 pounds of furniture in it in east Texas where there's a fair amount of hills and inclines.

Would I be okay with dino, or would a semi-synth blend be better for about 4 hours of this type of driving?

Currently I am using Pennzoil YB 5w30.

I have no idea about that car, but my gut says I'd be more worried about the transmission than the motor.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I have no idea about that car, but my gut says I'd be more worried about the transmission than the motor.

Bingo.

A 2004 Impala has a towing limit of 1000 pounds. You would be at (likely over) the limit with 800 pounds of cargo + the weight of the trailer. The brakes on the car will likely not handle that load (you will probably need electric trailer brakes) and I would be concerned about the cooling system being able to handle the increased load (especially with the near 100 degree heat in TX these days) which would also equate to higher than normal transmission temperatures.

Your PYB is fine. Like everyone else said, I'd watch the transmission. I'd make sure everything else is up to the task, brakes in good working order, tires inflated properly, coolant topped off, and I would probably run in D3 or D4 and take it slow. I'd also resist the urge to fill the car up with other stuff.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
Okay so I have an '04 Impala with 65K miles on it that's had it's oil changed religiously by it's previous owner (relative).

I may be moving and would be towing a U-Haul with about 800 pounds of furniture in it in east Texas where there's a fair amount of hills and inclines.

Would I be okay with dino, or would a semi-synth blend be better for about 4 hours of this type of driving?

Currently I am using Pennzoil YB 5w30.

As others have said, I would be far more worried about the transmission than the engine. Passenger cars like that are not built for towing a trailer.

I would just rent a U-Haul.

When is the last time it's had fresh ATF? Probably never, right? I'd do 3 drain and fills with a few hundred miles inbetween before such a trip.

If you do end up towing the load IMO the single most important point for tranny health is NOT to let the torque converter UNLOCK for extended periods under load. You are way better off downshifting to second or first gear and revving the engine to pull up a hill than to allow the converter to unlock and stay in OD or 3rd gear. If you have a tach you can see the converter unlock and hear it too. Just put on your hazards and go into the slow lane.

The unlocked torque converter under heavy load generates a lot of heat into the fluid which could lead to a failure on the road.

If it were me I would get an ATF flush a few weeks ahead of time from somewhere with a machine to do it and do the move taking care not to overheat the tranny.

The other concern is going down a steep hill. Just be very wary that a heavy load will want to want to push the rear of the car around under heavy breaking. Th more weight you put into the trunk of the car the better to keep the rear wheels planted.

Last edited:
The only issue with this car with the oil, is when the intake manifold gasket goes and antifreeze gets in the oil.

The PYB is fine. Tow in 3rd gear and stay around 50 mph if possible. If coolant gets hot, turn off the AC. If your ATF seems burned after the trip, flush it then.

Americans like to think they need a truck to tow anything.
This is the listed capacity for my little VW GTI.

108b700.jpg

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

108b700.jpg

]

American auto manufacturers want us to buy a $60K truck to tow anything.

108b700.jpg

Some of us tow more than a mini trailer and lawn mower.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

108b700.jpg

Some of us tow more than a mini trailer and lawn mower.

Lol. Americans, so stupid.

My girlfriends Corolla can tow 2,000lbs. Hook up the toyhauler!

Originally Posted By: Phishin
When is the last time it's had fresh ATF? Probably never, right? I'd do 3 drain and fills with a few hundred miles inbetween before such a trip.

Why not four or five times?? Easy to spend someone else money eh??

I might service it once, but the big thing I see here is need for addition of a trans oil cooler...

Lol, i have to admit that your transmission is the weak link but 1000pounds is not heavy for that car. Is it sold internationally? Look for what its rated in other countries. My little honda civic is rated to tow 1850pounds in australia. I have towed a lot with small cars, nothing to worry about if you know how to drive. They have always been manuel trans though.
As for the oil-use the same oil you dont tow with. Just change it sooner. I see no point in semi-synthetic. Cost wise just using either conventional or full syn makes more sense. Semi syn is only 15% synthetic or so, not really worth the extra money over conventional.
I have towed lots always on dino oil and have pretty high milage on my cars. No oil consumption issues until a spark plug fell apart into the cylinder because i left them in there too long.
Just remember your trans is air cooled-driving slower like 80km/hr instead of 100 actually makes it hotter. Dont be stupid and floor it up hills, but driving slow on the straights doesnt help you.

Oh, and when you do it strap everything down nice so that if you hit the brakes hard nothing slides or gets broken. Then when your out on the freeway and there is no one around try an emergency brake to know how long it takes to stop. Then drive accordingly and dont overhead your brakes going downhill. (Its actually very hard to do but just dont). I dont notice much of an increased stopping distance pulling 700 pounds with a 1700 pound car. It is a bit longer but not much. if your car is rated to tow 1000pounds your brakes are meant to stop double that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back