2014 Accord MM/OCI Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Accord, K24 I4. I do about 85% highway, and it looks like the MM is going to run my OCI out to about 15k. I'm using M1 0w20 EP, so I'm pretty confident, but really not comfortable with this. I should add I am using a Fram Ultra filter.

Thoughts on this? I'd prefer to stay with a 7.5-10k OCI. However, if I am going to stick to say, 7.5k, would I be better off going to a syn blend or something a bit more cost effective?

Thanks for the input.

You can get 15k with that overall setup. I could have in my CR-V and that was on an 8-year-old engine with 200k, after the UOA came back sparkling and after 13k.

How many miles do you put on in a year?: Because you're supposed to change it after a year even if the MM hasn't come on by then.

That said, the Fram Ultra/M1EP combo will definitely hold up to 15k.

Honda recommends using the MM and only changing the filter every other OCI, and they don't even require synthetic, but every 0w20 you've heard of is at least a syn blend.

I am having anxiety over the Honda OLM. I have a 2014 hybrid. I changed the FF at about 7500 to Valvoline 0w20 syn. Just changed it again at 15k, and a few, to PP. The OLM still reads 40%. Just like the first change. Using Fram Ultras, too.

Can I trust the OLM and run out to 10K? If I calculate correctly, the OLM would run to 12,500 at least, before flagging a change.

And, no, I haven't done a UOA. Nearly all my driving is trips of at least 13 miles.

Honda's MM system is very accurate, combine it with M1 EP & Fram ultra and it'll be good for 15K easy. Just do the change when MM hits 15%.

There are some UOAs of DI Accords posted in that forum.
It appears that Honda got their DI implementation right, since you won't find either excessive fuel dilution or high wear metals in these UOAs.
With the kind of driving that you do, I'd have no problems with planning each oil change sometime after the little wrench first illuminates on the IP, after 15% MM.

The MM in the '11 in my sig (pre-DI) indicates a 10k OCI in mixed driving if I take it all the way to 0%, so 15k with nearly all highway driving isn't far-fetched.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go to 15-20% on the MM. Confident this combo is the real deal. Highway miles are certainly helping!

Very aware of that, and while a concern, I'm guessing the most miles I will do on an OCI is 12k. Based on UOA's for the same vehicle on "lesser" oils, I'm fairly confident in this combo.

Run it to 15% without anxiety. Then, you'll get your other maintenance codes. With my 90% highway, the last change was 10,099 miles. And yes, I run my filters to 20k+...because Motorking said its fine.

I didn't worry a bit because this is the best case operation for PCMO

Double check your math because the white paper from Mother Honda said that max mileage to 0% would be 20,000km or a little over 12k miles

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Very aware of that, and while a concern, I'm guessing the most miles I will do on an OCI is 12k.

12k is insane. Weld the hood shut and forget it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Very aware of that, and while a concern, I'm guessing the most miles I will do on an OCI is 12k.

12k is insane. Weld the hood shut and forget it.

Purely emotional response. Bitogger 2010_FX4 is using a "lesser" M1 oil (AFE) in an a Ford F150 for 15k miles with a good looking UOA.

Honda's are known for being easy on oil and with a 5.7qt total oil capacity on the OP's(and my) 2.4L K24W1 I'm sure we're fine, even without UOA.

2014 Accord, K24 I4. I do about 85% highway, and it looks like the MM is going to run my OCI out to about 15k. I'm using M1 0w20 EP, so I'm pretty confident, but really not comfortable with this. I should add I am using a Fram Ultra filter.

Thoughts on this? I'd prefer to stay with a 7.5-10k OCI. However, if I am going to stick to say, 7.5k, would I be better off going to a syn blend or something a bit more cost effective?

Thanks for the input.

If you are going to go that long on an oil and filter, I would suggest using a 15K or better oil filter.

Also, Amsoil claims their signature series oil is good for 25K.

My suggestion is to do Amsoil 0W-20 and either and Fram Ultra or Amsoil Ea filter. I would change the oil at 10K get a used oil analysis. If the UOA comes back good, then go with 15K.

If you could do 15K oil changes successfully that would be literally changing the oil and filter once a year.

I do about 25k a year. So, even a 10k OCI has me changing twice a year...I'm good with that. I may try Amsoil, but frankly, my fram ultra and M1 EP should do just as good a job.

You'll be fine, I have a '13, running 10K OCI with 60% freeway driving with good UOA results.

I'd just follow the OLM down to 5% or so, the last 20% oil life depletes faster...so it's really not linear.

5.7 qt? I'm putting 5 in and getting slightly above full.

Capacity per the service manual., not the change amount.

5.7 rebuild
4.4 with filter
4.2 oil only

Because: reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back