Having very difficult time removing custom wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I have these:

m157.jpg

On an American truck.

5 lugs, as pictured..

And, 3 sockets in (all 19mm) I can not get ANY of them on my lugs.

The issue almost appears to be the caps on the lug nuts themselves.

Thin wall 3/4", Extra thin wall 19mm, another thin wall 19mm. Two of them can get in but none of them can get over.

How on earth do I get over these lugs?

I'm on a [censored] computer so it's extremely hard for me to post specific images of the exact item I am talking about, my hopes are that a wheel and tire pro has had this happen before and can take a fairly educated guess about what I need to get over what seem to be the "caps" on these wheels.

And yes, once they get off, I am switching the lugs to something else. One has the key, I have that key. My issue is the other 4.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Use a thin screwdriver to get the caps off?

I never considered this possibility.

They may in fact be caps? You have seen this?

I'm trying this after work today however wouldn't they have slight play if they were caps sir

For the time being, I used a portable tire inflator and let it work for about 15-20 minutes or so on all 4 tires and aired them up to full inflated capacity. While I would like very much to attempt to solve this mystery by myself, before I take it to a shop that will more or elss be beating up on my wheels, lugs, and therefore everything behind it in attempts to Gorilla them off.

Places are so unprofessional nowadays, and I feel as if I drive this into a place for Euro cars that it's an automatic ridiculous high charge, though I am sure they are used to funky wheel issues.

Yes, they probably did swell. Though I have honestly never encountered this, in all my years. Aftermarket wheels is the tricky part. Though I can't help but feel like it can't be that hard .. this one is my pride and joy its just sitting right now though..

I would try a 13/16" thinwall 6 point socket...Grind down the outside, if you have to, to get it in. If it is bigger than 19mm, it would be worth a try.....

In PA, it's very possible the steel under the caps has corroded, and expanded the cap enough that the 19mm socket won't fit. I've seen 19.5mm sockets made for exactly this situation. Maybe give the parts stores around you a call and see if you can buy one locally?

Go to the manufactuere- they have a special thin walled deep socket . I had a set on one of my old cars and it came with a socket

I know what some people have mentioned about the lugs having a cap or a cover over them. I'm guessing it's a cosmetic thing. I haven't seen them in years though. I'd always just crack the covers off of them. Seems like the lug wrench would never fit over them properly.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
How did you put the lug nuts on? Use the same socket to take it off?

The last time these wheels were removed was about 2 years ago. The tire place had to try about 3 sockets, and I was timid about talking to whoever was working on it at the time. I still have the key for the lock nut. There was a second piece that appeared to be useless that I threw out.

I ordered a 13/16" thin socket. I see on conversion that it is .8125" which is converted to 20.6375mm so that one, if it fits in the hole, and being a deep socket, has a high chance of fitting. I did the conversion on the 3/4 socket and it is basically a 19mm so that one is a spare now.

I got it as an impact socket, too, so that if it fits I can use my impact gun. I have a LOT of tools and have been doing a LOT of work.. You all would be impressed by how I set up my garage with auto tools in a non-auto setting. Got another 2 VIM socket holders coming, too. I have 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive Metric.. Now the next two will be my 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive SAE. Impact sockets, I have the Harbor Freight thing, and the 17mm, 19mm, and 21mm Impacts - as well as an Impact U-Joint and Impact 5" Extension - ready to go, in the box with my old school Black and Decker Electric Impact Gun. Got a stubborn little bugger off with its assistance, before I finished it off with a pipe over a breaker bar and a, elbow grunt. So. Busy busy busy.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Dumb question, are they hex head lug nuts? I have seen spline drive used on some wheels from that brand before.

They could be? But, truthfully, I don't know.

And to all those saying 'the wheels have caps' I feel like I would have felt this by now, if that were so.

The issue turned out to be that I was lied to. I got misinformation on another forum.. Turns out, after my own research, and 4 sockets later (2 borrowed and 2 bought) that: They are NOT 19mm lugs.. as I was told.

Check me out.

I bought so many tools, I actually forgot I had these sockets already.

1_zpsgt5tkkcu.jpg

2_zpsoxqgk4lb.jpg

3_zpsogywehs7.jpg

4. Question about this Lock Nut below
4_zpsv9sgp1xd.jpg

5_zpszl7hoedd.jpg

So... How do I get the wrench over that Lock Nut, Pic 4? That is my next mystery.

Thank you all for your replies!

(Oh, and in case anyone was wondering: I have bought a LOT of tools.
1/2" Black and Decker Impact Gun
Sockets, Impact Extension and Impact U-Joint
Full set of SAE and Metric 1/2" and 3/8" drive sockets - 4 sets in total
Breaker bar
Various penetrating lubes, been using ATF and Acetone mix the most
Various screwdrivers, pliers
Various parts
Took many things apart
More that I can't think of right this second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back