Stone In Shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Atkinson, like many actors, is far more athletic and versatile than you might think.

Seeing him on stage in England is EASILY one of the top 5 theatrical experiences I've ever had.

The show was "The Sneeze". Kira

We drove the North American equivalent of the silver car for many years - an '82 Mazda GLC. Didn't have anyone leave shoes on top as far as I remember.

I never quite understood British humor. He could have simply sat down at the bench at the beginning of the video, removed his shoe, and disposed of the stone. But then I've never been a TV watcher so I'm not the demographic to which it plays.

So what DID Mr and Mrs Rivt go to see after hitching up the wagons for a trip to the harpsichord store ?

Chaplin was before TV, and he was British.

So what's a fun time in Revitown

Rowan Atkinson is a very funny bloke, I know him from quite a few years ago when he raced a Renault Clio in the UK. If you liked this you should try to find more. There must be plenty on Youtube.

Pop, I always appreciate your comments, but find we differ here.

I love British humour (in my genes I guess). Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Mr Bean ... great stuff.

I usually don't like American humour - tried Letterman a couple of times, didn't get it, had a roomie who loved MASH, watched it perhaps three times, didn't get it, and more recently was on a road trip and watched '2-1/2 Men' with a co-worker. Blech!

I loved Dave Barry's columns though, especially when he did 'Ask Mr. Language Person'.

MAN! I sure don't want to overanalyze this but there are a few things to point out.

Citing "British humor" isn't really accurate. The bit was a sight gag based on the odd stepping the actor performed, just like "Silly Walkers" by Monty Python. The added teases of repeated sightings of his shoe (so near and yet so far) atop the car simply added volume to the skit.

Make out your last will and testament and watch the original "Topper" movie. The ghosts (George and Marion) help a drunk Cosmo Topper through the hotel lobby. You cannot see the ghosts so the actor is staggering alone.
You might die laughing.
Same thing....but wait...it's an American movie????

As far as MASH goes....in my humble opinion, that show was a weekly morality presentation. Every week the message or theme was "Be a good and thoughtful person who's considerate of others". The fact that the main characters were the clearing house for everyone else's behavior made the show horribly repetitive.

Again, in my humble opinion, when they brought in the psychologist as a regular character the show became a de facto weekly morality (social behavior) training session. No humor there.

Any show which works the same people in the same way week after week has got to get stale.
That's why Carol Burnett could take a season off and have the time slot filled by "The Tim Conway Show". It was the same stuff. Ms. Burnett (who I regard as a great talent) likely didn't want to grow stale so fast.

Letterman's schtick (the smarty-pants know-it-all) is great for delivering pointed jabs. Busting people's chops during his monologue was great.
He applied his smarty-pants personality to everything. Kinda like all the surgeons in MASH.

In the later years Letterman had a paucity of guests. We called the never ending stream of dopey, talentless girls his "bimbos d' jour. Those posers made for lousy guests.

All of 'em (Conan, Arsinio, Jay, David, Joan) suffered from thin writing and their desk chatter grew hollow.

If someone doesn't like a presentation....don't watch or listen to it. Cheers, Kira

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Pop, I always appreciate your comments, but find we differ here.

I love British humour (in my genes I guess). Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Mr Bean ... great stuff.

I usually don't like American humour - tried Letterman a couple of times, didn't get it, had a roomie who loved MASH, watched it perhaps three times, didn't get it, and more recently was on a road trip and watched '2-1/2 Men' with a co-worker. Blech!

I loved Dave Barry's columns though, especially when he did 'Ask Mr. Language Person'.

Dave Barry was good.

American humor today is a misnomer.

So-called American humor today is simply a bunch of base, dirty-mouthed, political and racist jabs (Comedy Club?) for the most part.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

So-called American humor today is simply a bunch of base, dirty-mouthed, political and racist jabs (Comedy Club?) for the most part.

It appears to be dumbed down such that the lowest common denominator can understand it. A pretty sorry indictment on society as a whole. Don't worry, it's happening worldwide, it's just the US that has been leading the charge.

my fave was the first Bean I saw.

It was the church sermon episode. At the time I was in my early teens and was bored to DEATH with being forced to go to church. That skit really hit home with me
smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh__g-ZZ6WA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back