Super Tech Antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Super Tech is not the only brand that claims a "universal" coolant with a flush....

Correct.

Prestone has made the All Makes All Models 'universal' claim with their signature AF for quite some time, coinciding with DexCool use. And it has contained 2eha and even the new 'est' formula still contains it as an inhibitor.

Saw a thread recently here where many recommended Prestone for an 83 Cressida, some calling it 'green'. Afaik, Prestone labeled brand makes no 'conventional' green. Only the Prestone AMM, some might consider yellow but might look green in radiator. I would not have recommended it because of 2eha as an inhibitor.

Peal Long Life also contains 2eha as do the vast majority of auto parts store brand 'universal' coolants.

Otoh, Peak Global Lifetime is a long life OAT AF that does NOT contain 2eha.

So Super Tech AF is far from unique with the 'universal' all makes models designation and being a dexclone. Just one of many. IMO, Prestone is the most widely known that makes the same claim. And most any auto parts store brand AF is labeled a universal and contains 2eha.

As for conventional green, some now are lower silicate to reduce drop out but still have the same or longer recommended sevice interval.

Menards' house brand coolant is re-badged Peak GREEN

When I need green coolant, I get it there. Last bottle was $6 after rebate

Well Rats, I have a 1996 Ford Taurus 3.0 Vulcan engin with 61,000 miles which I love. Over the memorial weekend I flushed the system and ended us using the Walmart Super Tech Long Life as I actually thought it was the Green . It looked Green does that count! It is very difficult to locate the Zerex G 05 even here in the DFW area as I have searched. I plan on replacing the lower Radiator Hose, Water Pump, and put in a new reservoir tank within the next month. So I guess another flush will be needed. So just for the record the Peak Global is just like the Zerex G 05. I think I can use the Motorcraft Gold but that to is not easy to locate. Sad that both Auto parts store recommended their Long Life Coolant for the car and I decided to go with the WalMart as it was on sale for $8 concentrate.

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
.....It looked Green does that count!...
Unfortunately no. AF color is now a very unreliable indicator of AF chemistry.

Quote:
So just for the record the Peak Global is just like the Zerex G 05.
No. Peak Global Lifetime is a Long Life OAT AF, but unlike DexCool/clone OAT is does not contain the controversial inhibitor 2eha. So it is preferred by many here looking for long life no silicate OAT AF.

G-05 is a low silicate HOAT also with a longer service interval. Zerex G05 and Motorcraft Gold are most common examples. Many like this as alternative to the universal OAT dexclones like the topic'd ST or Prestone AMM.

Quote:
Sad that both Auto parts store recommended their Long Life Coolant for the car and I decided to go with the WalMart...
The most common type AF found/sold in auto parts are the universal dexclones basically the same as SuperTech but usually with store brand name.

For a 96 Taurus, conventional green would have been spec. Still being sold some now with low silicates. Zerex says their original green is good 'up to' 5years/100k. Most would be about 2 years ~30k interval.

G05 would be an option for longer life interval as would PGL. Both come in concentrate which is the way to go especially so for a complete flush. And top with distilled water.

Not sure if 96 Taurus recommended distilled though. If not and water not to hard, using a flushing T might be an easy option for a flush.

It is very difficult to locate the Zerex G 05 even here in the DFW area as I have searched.

Did you look at NAPA? Every NAPA I've ever been in has G05, most have both the concentrate and a pre-diluted version.

I am just going to order it and pick it up at the NAPA store I use as I also need to order the Pink coolant for a 2010 Toyota Highlander.

I am just going to order it and pick it up at the NAPA store I use as I also need to order the Pink coolant for a 2010 Toyota Highlander.

You can order Toyota SLL at NAPA?

No but I think I saw a thread that mentioned some other Brands that were the same as the Pink that you could order thru NAPA and OReily's . I will have to check to make sure.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
For a 96 Taurus, conventional green would have been spec. Still being sold some now with low silicates. Zerex says their original green is good 'up to' 5years/100k. Most would be about 2 years ~30k interval.

Dang it. I wish I had known about the Zerex conventional green before I bought the Peak conventional green. Next change though it will definitely get Zerex.

On the Zerex green bottle it says for cars GM 1996 and older, Ford 2002 and older, and Chrysler 2001 and older.

I walked in to Walmart today hoping I could get my hands on Peak Global. I walked out when I saw that they only had Prestone, Prestone Dexcool(same junk different color), and Supertech(which I'm never gonna put in my car).

Ended up just getting a few gallons of distilled water from Walmart and got Peak LL from Autozone, which does not have 2-eha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: avacado11
Ended up just getting a few gallons of distilled water from Walmart and got Peak LL from Autozone, which does not have 2-eha.

Peak Long Life is just another Dexcool clone that does contain 2eha. It's just not labeled Dexcool because if it was they would have to pay a fee to GM.

Peak Global does not contain 2eha, and Peak even goes out of the way to say it does not contain 2eha.

Safety data sheets for Peak Dexcool and Peak Long Life. They are the same ingredients.

http://images.peakauto.com/Peak Long Life Concentrate Antifreeze & Coolant.pdf

http://images.peakauto.com/Peak%20Cool%2...;%20Coolant.pdf

Last edited:
so why isn't every car that has had the coolant changed at a local shop using universal coolant having issues????

Originally Posted By: ted s
so why isn't every car that has had the coolant changed at a local shop using universal coolant having issues????

A reputable shop should know what spec coolant a car uses. If not, then find one that does.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: avacado11

Peak Long Life is just another Dexcool clone that does contain 2eha. It's just not labeled Dexcool because if it was they would have to pay a fee to GM.

Peak Global does not contain 2eha, and Peak even goes out of the way to say it does not contain 2eha.

Safety data sheets for Peak Dexcool and Peak Long Life. They are the same ingredients.

http://images.peakauto.com/Peak Long Life Concentrate Antifreeze & Coolant.pdf

http://images.peakauto.com/Peak%20Cool%2...;%20Coolant.pdf

Interesting. I guess I'll have to flush my car again in the spring. Don't want to waste perfectly clean coolant(at least it's better than the silicate containing Roadtech A/F i previously topped it off with)

Last edited:
NAPA has Peak Global concentrate for around $15-16 a gallon, but you need to order(online or phone call) and pick up few days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back