How Old is This Tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
So this is the (full size) spare tire on my Camry. It was actually mounted on the car for some reason when I bought it. In the trunk was the 4th matching Goodyear for the car. I put it back on the car (have driven a couple hundred miles and it seems ok) and put this oddball Dunlop back in the trunk.

How old is it? Usually I see 4 digit DOT codes and see the date. This one is 3 digit, never seen that before.

It's a Dunlop SP Sport 4000. It has almost 100% tread and I'm considering using it for my spare since I'm getting 4 new tires next week.

There isn't another DOT code on the other side

2cfa4qs.jpg

ayr79i.jpg

wrflv5.jpg

I believe that 3 dot codes were used before the year 2000. After, they switched to 4 dot codes to differentiate the dates.

So, I think that means this guy was made on the 31st week of 1999. I'm just going from memory here, I haven't googled so you might want to cross reference my info. But IIRC that's how the 3 dot date codes work.

Originally Posted By: 90crvtec
I believe that 3 dot codes were used before the year 2000. After, they switched to 4 dot codes to differentiate the dates.

So, I think that means this guy was made on the 31st week of 1999. I'm just going from memory here, I haven't googled so you might want to cross reference my info. But IIRC that's how the 3 dot date codes work.
You are correct I was changing my post when you corrected me.

Made in July of 1999.
I don't think I would even use it as a spare, especially considering its over 16 years old.

It's been in the trunk it's whole life, it would probably be fine for a low speed spare. Although DOT and tire manufacturers will disagree with me and suggest you recycle it

What do you all suppose trunk temps are in Phoenix summer after summer since 1999? Unless you know the car came from Minnesota or somewhere I'd lose that 16 year old tire. Or send it to one of the guys who thinks it's OK. Or drop it off at a Mexican tire shop.

Last edited:
LOL I didn't think this thing was still from the 90's. I won't use it as a spare.

I will have Discount Tire mount one of the 4 brand new tires on the rim next week, and one of the current tires on the car will go to spare duty. They're Goodyears from 2012 with decent tread, just can't stand how loud they are and they have some vibration on the freeway.

I definitely won't use it as a spare since I'm often out of town. I don't want to put 100+ miles on it on the highway, although I've put over 300 miles on it on the car already...

Thanks for the help guys!

sounds like a perfect plan, especially if you're ditching the goodyears because they're noisy and not because they're worn out.

This is standard practice, and have a few workorders written up as best tire to spare

Last edited:
replace it with one of your current noisy tires? they should be reliable for a spare?

Originally Posted By: Rand
replace it with one of your current noisy tires? they should be reliable for a spare?
They're Goodyear GT tires. Discount has a sale on tires next week too so that's why I'm getting new ones.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They're Goodyear GT tires. Discount has a sale on tires next week too so that's why I'm getting new ones.

Uh yea and I was suggesting saving one of your current not 16 year old tires and mounting it on the spare wheel for use as a spare.

Unless you want to buy 5 new tires....

Using a 16 year old spare tire thats been baked in the trunk is asking for the tread to separate shortly.

Last edited:

Uh yea and I was suggesting saving one of your current not 16 year old tires and mounting it on the spare wheel for use as a spare.

Unless you want to buy 5 new tires....

Using a 16 year old spare tire thats been baked in the trunk is asking for the tread to separate shortly.

I had already posted that I was going to do that. Here is that post:

LOL I didn't think this thing was still from the 90's. I won't use it as a spare.

I will have Discount Tire mount one of the 4 brand new tires on the rim next week, and one of the current tires on the car will go to spare duty. They're Goodyears from 2012 with decent tread, just can't stand how loud they are and they have some vibration on the freeway.

I definitely won't use it as a spare since I'm often out of town. I don't want to put 100+ miles on it on the highway, although I've put over 300 miles on it on the car already...

Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back