Want a Louder Horn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I need to go to the local Pick a Part for a couple little things for my car, and while I'm there I was thinking of picking up a new horn for my car.

Now the Beetle has a really loud horn. When people merge into my lane and almost sideswipe me and I honk at them they always hear it. The Camry's horn isn't so loud, people don't seem to hear me. It's working properly, just not loud enough for me.

What cars have loud horns? I'll just bolt it in the same place and splice in a new connector.

There aren't very many Beetle's in the junk yard (surprisingly) so I doubt I'll find one to harvest a horn from.

Here's a picture of the horn.

k21uev.jpg

Get a Bad Boy horn from Harbor Freight.
The best and loudest car horns came on the huge GM boats. I think the 90's model Buick Roadmaster had 4 horns. So did the last behemoth rear wheel drive Cadillac of that era.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Get a Bad Boy horn from Harbor Freight.
The best and loudest car horns came on the huge GM boats. I think the 90's model Buick Roadmaster had 4 horns. So did the last behemoth rear wheel drive Cadillac of that era.

Yep, the horn(s)? on my brothers 1991 Buick Park avenue literally sounds like a locomotive.

That looks like a disc horn. Is it a meep-meep sound?
maybe a pair (Hi-Lo) from an older GM luxury Liner. You might have to add a relay if your car doesn't have one, or if it is not rated for enough current.

Should be able to find a hi-lo tone two horn set up from early model 90's Cutlass Supreme, Buick Regal, and Pontiac Grand Prix.
I am sure there are others, but those models should have them.

One thing that would be worth a shot is rewiring it. The wires they use from the factory for most horns are pathetically inadequate-around 20ga or so. You can measure how much voltage is actually going to the horn by putting a voltmeter on the teminals and having someone honk it.

With that said, I'm also interested in a LOUD horn, I have heard good things about the Hella ones

A friend had a toyota matrix, and the horn was so poor it couldnt even maintain the appropriate tone.

If the beetle's horn was good, why not grab one of those from the PnP?

I agree that the old GM horns were good. Not sure if there is much in them to go bad with age???

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
A friend had a toyota matrix, and the horn was so poor it couldnt even maintain the appropriate tone.

If the beetle's horn was good, why not grab one of those from the PnP?

I agree that the old GM horns were good. Not sure if there is much in them to go bad with age???
My 96 Chevy pickup didn't have that impressive of a horn. Maybe the cars of earlier age though.

I've only ever seen 1 Beetle in the junk yards.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
That looks like a disc horn. Is it a meep-meep sound?
maybe a pair (Hi-Lo) from an older GM luxury Liner. You might have to add a relay if your car doesn't have one, or if it is not rated for enough current.
Yup its a meep-meep

I'm telling ya, look at your wiring! Horns draw a lot of power, even the "meep meep" ones pull like 50w if it's available. Power like that requires at LEAST 16ga wire.

Are you saying that since you don't like to let people merge, you need a louder horn? Cause thats what I'm hearing.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Are you saying that since you don't like to let people merge, you need a louder horn? Cause thats what I'm hearing.
I actually let people merge all the time. I just don't let people merge into the side of me.

Originally Posted By: camarokiller
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How about this if you want cheap and new?

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Freeway-Blaster-Horn/dp/B000DINKPQ

NO NO NO NO a million times no. I just bought one of those about a month ago from napa, for my ram. Freeway blaster my as$. More like tofu farter. Thats the most measly horn ive ever heard. It was promptly returned.

Well this will get the job done but you will need some custom wiring most likely, and possibly a bigger battery depending on how long you lay into it!

http://www.amazon.com/Stebel-Nautilus-Universal-Motorcycles-Scooters/dp/B00CMX20H4/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back