What's your thoughts, feelings, opinions on GTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So from the reading from way back in BITOG; it seems that folks either love or hate any Castrol products. What is your folks thoughts, feelings and opinions on Casteol. Good or bad and just looking for info and feedback. I don't mind their products as the Magnatec is not much different from the QSGB oil I had been using.

It's all good baby....
grin.gif

spec, viscosity and OCI is all that matters.

There oil will meet whatever specs are on the back of the jug...maybe at a slightly higher price than other brands, but its still good oil. I personally prefer SOPUS and MOBIL products.

Originally Posted By: car51
Thanks Webfors and Gregk24 ;-). Greg how does the GTX seem in your Uplander and Buick?

Hmmmm...no noticeable change in the Buick, the Uplander may be a bit quieter on it, I have noticed that it seems to drink it more than other oils. Its only been maybe 1500 miles since it was changed and the oil was 1/2 quart low, which is more than usual. I got a good deal on the 5 quart jugs at WM so I sprung for it. A good oil none the less. Use with confidence if it meets the manufacturers specs.

GTX 5w-20 seems to be the best warranty-safe option for the RX-8 in North America. It's all I run.

Oil temps, fuel dilution, and dirty combustion are all issues for rotary engines. That aspect screams synthetic. At the same time, the engine burns oil basically by design, so whatever oil you use has to burn cleanly. Some synthetic base stocks (certain PAOs IIRC) leave REALLY nasty residues when they burn, and there's no way to know which oils have those base stocks, so synthetics are out. You also shouldn't just throw in any old heavily additized oil, because those tend to have really ashy additive packs. You could theoretically go with an oil designed to be low-ash, but you might be sacrificing protection. So, you have a bunch of requirements that pull in completely opposite directions. And that's before you even get to the fact that these engines have a rep for spotty reliability in any case.

Given all of that, I'm not even slightly tempted to second-guess Mazda on oil for this app. Castrol GTX 5w-20 is what all the dealerships use, so it's what I use. Mazda does make a rotary-specific oil (a 0w-30 synthetic), but I don't think Mazda NA officially recognizes that oil for warranty purposes. So, GTX 5w-20 it is, at least for the next few years until the engine warranty runs out.

Very poor Noack, 14%.

Compared to PYB, I think it is junk.

Castrol GTX:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Castrol.htm

I used to use it in a Cobalt, would get jet black after 6,000kms. With a Noack that high, I can see it wasn't "cleaning" that was going on, but sludging.

Castrol GTX have a widely reported reputation of leaving orange varnish in engines, like a thin roofing tar.

Looking at the PQIA site I don't see anything particularly "good" about GTX. PYB has HALF the Noack. And Molybdenum.

Noack that high, for that price, isn't a good value. But up in Canada Castrol products are more expensive for me that Shell.

It's been a long time since I've looked at it, but GTX used to be priced more than other conventional oils, but had no performance benefit to justify the higher price. I think that's where people's dislike of GTX comes from.

I've never used Castrol oil, but I also know it's a fully capable oil with no reason to not use it.

Forgot to post the PQIA Pennzoil link:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/5W20consolidateddec30.html

I got 2 jugs of PYB at Walmart for $9.99 for the SN version... It is the biggest sleeper oil on this site right now.

I have it in my car right now, and nice and quiet. Nice smooth oil. Since my car only uses 3.6L per oil change, I can change my oil for less than 15$ including a WIX filter!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
Noack that high, for that price, isn't a good value. But up in Canada Castrol products are more expensive for me that Shell.

Usually, though, at least one of Canadian Tire, Partsource, or Walmart Canada has GTX on a big rollback. Paying full price on GTX up here is next to impossible.

I've used it in the past (HM and conventional) and will use it again if it's ever on sale for a reasonable price. Currently have 6qts of 0W40 Edge in my stash from the $1 a qt sale from December. Plan to use it in my Accord one day.

Castrol GTX in 10w30 was what I dumped in every vehicle we had year round for many years. Never an issue.

Still use a lot of Castrol products but plain old GTX almost never now, took a real liking to the HM and Magnatec. Don't use a lot of full syns but when I do it's also Castrol about half the time.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's boring and made by British Petroleum; the penny pinching bean counters.

As opposed to Shell, XOM, Ashland, CP, and all the other oil companies who don't worry about the bottom line at all, right?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back