Best water resistant 80 grit sandpaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to send paint and varnish off fiberglass reinforced resin and wood. Is there something better than Norton sandpaper? By better I mean longer lasting and less clogging.

Since we are now talking about basic info, I may as well mention that clog resistant sandpaper is not suitable for sanding all finishes. But back to my question, please.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Since we are now talking about basic info, I may as well mention that clog resistant sandpaper is not suitable for sanding all finishes. But back to my question, please.
Your OP said you're in the removal stage, not finishing stage. Furthermore, you didn't clarify the "fiberglass reinforced resin wood object covered in paint and varnish". That's a bit opaque, not to mention an interesting combination of material AND finishes!
Quote:
I need to send paint and varnish off fiberglass reinforced resin and wood. Is there something better than Norton sandpaper? By better I mean longer lasting and less clogging.

Yes. Stripper. Multiple coats if necessary.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Your OP said you're in the removal stage, not finishing stage.

It was an assumption on my part that some finishes will clog even clog resistant sandpaper. I was not talking about some finishes getting marred by clog resistant sandpaper, to which I think you are alluding.

Quote:
Furthermore, you didn't clarify the "fiberglass reinforced resin wood object covered in paint and varnish". That's a bit opaque, not to mention an interesting combination of material AND finishes!

I never said I was sanding only one object. For what it's worth, I am sanding a small boat, which is actually made from those materials.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Yes. Stripper. Multiple coats if necessary.

My mistake for being nebulous. Is there better water resistant 80 grit sandpaper than Norton's? Stripper is out of the question.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The answer to your question is no. They have a website that has full information.

Which manufacturer doesn't claim to have the best product?
21.gif

Unfortunately our short exchange is full of confusion. To correctly answer a Q like this requires a "bigger picture" perspective. You didn't mention what this was.

Even stearated paper will clog, it's just less likely to.

At this point, I'll withdraw. Perhaps someone else will assist you? Glad to hear your bird is back.

I just wanted to know if someone had come across a superior product without going into every peripheral detail, making the topic unnecessarily complex. Not getting an answer is alright. I find Norton's more than satisfactory.

Today I got some 3M ProGrade Precison No-Slip-Grip 80 grit sheets and it's a great product. At least as good as the Norton. The sticky backing is a plus when using just the sheet. No idea if the backing may fuse to a power sander's pad. That wouldn't be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back