Super mega "godzilla" El Niño this winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I have two respectable careers and work very hard. I was being facetious and intentionally self-deprecating when I made that comment.

Besides, like I said, I'm an outsider. Your arguments and theirs will not change how they or you feel or perceive the world; if you're not trying to convince guys like me, then what's the point of your ranting? You don't need to convince yourself, do you?

Which comment was that?

You never know. They might. People do change..sometimes.

Reading about the underlying psychology of mass-movements in general, and 'global warming' in particular, is rare. Very rare.

Read Hoffer & Sowell. They explain the mindset & history far better than I. Makes for a fascinating read. I'd also suggest Hassan's book as well.

Further, fanatical Muslin extremism is indeed a religious cult. They'll reward confrontation and disbelief with fire bombs, beheadings, mutilation and downed buildings. The consequences of playing "patty-cake" with them are death. Stupid pols have yet to figure this out though. The above readings are applicable to this subject as well. Read them and think about it.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I have two respectable careers and work very hard. I was being facetious and intentionally self-deprecating when I made that comment.

Besides, like I said, I'm an outsider. Your arguments and theirs will not change how they or you feel or perceive the world; if you're not trying to convince guys like me, then what's the point of your ranting? You don't need to convince yourself, do you?

Which comment was that?

You never know. They might. People do change..sometimes.

Reading about the underlying psychology of mass-movements in general, and 'global warming' in particular, is rare. Very rare.

Read Hoffer & Sowell. They explain the mindset & history far better than I. Makes for a fascinating read. I'd also suggest Hassan's book as well.

Further, fanatical Muslin extremism is indeed a religious cult. They'll reward confrontation and disbelief with fire bombs, beheadings, mutilation and downed buildings. The consequences of playing "patty-cake" with them are death. Stupid pols have yet to figure this out though. The above readings are applicable to this subject as well. Read them and think about it.
+1 We're winning, though, just ask the amateurs in charge.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
The climate denial industry is out to dupe the public. And it's working

Love that statement.

I guess it works so well that now we have EPA running unrestricted, CO2 trading is in full force, scheduled to generate billions upon billions of dollars, and all sorts of environmental fees, taxes etc. are creeping in for the general public, we can't build new power plants and forget about drilling for oil. Yes, it's all because of the climate change/global warming deniers
crackmeup2.gif

And those nice yellow rivers.

Originally Posted By: hatt
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/23/tom-harris-global-warming-deceptive-temperature-re/

So why does the author state

Quote:
Science is rapidly evolving away from the view that humanity's emissions of carbon dioxide and other 'greenhouse gases' are a cause of dangerous climate change

Bet each way ?

It's there, but not "dangerous", as opposed to "not there".

Quote:
Global cooling has presented serious problems for human society and the environment throughout history while global warming has generally been highly beneficial.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/23/tom-harris-global-warming-deceptive-temperature-re/

Laughable article by the Comic book "International Climate Science Coalition" Denier Organization
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/05/12...-Change-Deniers

And of course the Washington Times is a well known right wing paper just as the NY times is a left wing paper.

Global temperature assessments are made by a string of 1500 monitoring stations covering land and oceans
http://www.noaa.gov/features/02_monitoring/weather_stations.html

July was 1.35 Degrees above the 1951 to 1980 average. However, July of 2011, 2009 and 1998 were very close as well with +1.33, +1.30 and +1.28 respectively above this average.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/climatechange/how-did-july-2015-rank-globall/51762696

Please show me on the NOAA website the .14 Degree of uncertainty.

So you are agreeing that in any event it beats the 1951 to 1980 average its just by how much??

Again show me reliable information instead of drivel.

Time to go out for coffee
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
this seems relevant, but will undoubtedly be discounted by the loyalists...

Swing and a miss.

Crazy agenda based writer of that article. Gee, ties to the Hartland Institute and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Harris_(mechanical_engineer)
"the ICSC is a "denier organization" that "know the answers and seek only confirmation that they are right. One group of minds is open; the other closed"."

and, already covered above. Are deniers running out of articles to present?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
this seems relevant, but will undoubtedly be discounted by the loyalists...

Swing and a miss.

Crazy agenda based writer of that article. Gee, ties to the Hartland Institute and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Harris_(mechanical_engineer)
"the ICSC is a "denier organization" that "know the answers and seek only confirmation that they are right. One group of minds is open; the other closed"."

and, already covered above. Are deniers running out of articles to present?

Nope, we just have other responsibilities like work and stuff. There are at least as many pro as con, I just have no time this week. I'm out making big money...

Last edited:

I'm sure you did. Sorry I had to work and have not kept up, but you guys will do well without me...

lol sokay man. Gotta' agree that making a living is priority.
cheers3.gif
We mostly agree...just not in this area.
smile.gif
I have nothing to do right now except pI$$ people off.

Last edited:
Good grief, just read the e mails. They're on the web.

Left, right, or in the center, a scam is a scam. This was/is a scam.

Which is a shame because, as Shannow points out, CO2 is being released at a large rate, and the consequence(s) may not be trivial.

But thanks to East Anglia, and their pal at NASA and NOAA, it will be a generation or more before climate science can be taken seriously. No bright student in their right mind would go near it now, so all it will get is the dregs of academia, the affirmitive action types, for a long time.

Originally Posted By: Al

Laughable article by the Comic book "International Climate Science Coalition" Denier Organization

And of course the Washington Times is a well known right wing paper just as the NY times is a left wing paper.

Global temperature assessments are made by a string of 1500 monitoring stations covering land and oceans

July was 1.35 Degrees above the 1951 to 1980 average. However, July of 2011, 2009 and 1998 were very close as well with +1.33, +1.30 and +1.28 respectively above this average.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/climatechange/how-did-july-2015-rank-globall/51762696

So you are agreeing that in any event it beats the 1951 to 1980 average its just by how much??

Time to go out for coffee
coffee2.gif

Will .15 do?

From e mail 1254147614 Tom Wigley to Phil "Hockey Stick" Jones:

.... Here are some speculations on correcting sea temperatures to partly explain the 1940s warming blip. If you look at the attached plot you will see that the land also shows the
1940s blip (as I’m sure you know). So, if we could reduce the ocean blip by, say, 0.15 degrees Celsius, then this would be signicant for the global average—but we’d still have to explain the land blip. I’ve chosen 0.15 degrees Celsius here deliberately. is still leaves an ocean blip, and I think one needs to have some form of ocean blip to explain the
land blip … It would be good to remove at least part of the 1940s blip, but we are still le with “why the blip?” ....

From the same group that were hades bent on rewriting history to eliminate the medieval warm period.

Really, they should all be in jail, imho.

Originally Posted By: Win
Good grief, just read the e mails. They're on the web.

Left, right, or in the center, a scam is a scam. This was/is a scam.

Which is a shame because, as Shannow points out, CO2 is being released at a large rate, and the consequence(s) may not be trivial.

I get you, big problem down here when we had a "carbon tax", was they they called it off the record a wealth transfer scheme...those on welfare were compensated through their payments to the tune of double the pain that it inflicted (changing behaviours how ???), which meant that those of us not on welfare were obviously paying more.

They gave $[censored] to the brown coal industry, which forced black coal out of the market.

There's CO2, there's science, and there's the social programmes on their agenda, and this is a convenient hook.

Originally Posted By: Win

Will .15 do?

From e mail 1254147614 Tom Wigley to Phil "Hockey Stick" Jones:

.... Here are some speculations on correcting sea temperatures to partly explain the 1940s warming blip. If you look at the attached plot you will see that the land also shows the
1940s blip (as I’m sure you know). So, if we could reduce the ocean blip by, say, 0.15 degrees Celsius, then this would be signicant for the global average—but we’d still have to explain the land blip. I’ve chosen 0.15 degrees Celsius here deliberately. is still leaves an ocean blip, and I think one needs to have some form of ocean blip to explain the
land blip … It would be good to remove at least part of the 1940s blip, but we are still le with “why the blip?” ....

From the same group that were hades bent on rewriting history to eliminate the medieval warm period.

Really, they should all be in jail, imho.

I have no idea what you said

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

I actually took some time to read Harris, Freed and whomever wrote the "accuweather" article.. Anderson who "blogs about Canadian weather."

Harris makes several key points:

Quote:
(1)NOAA says that the record was set by eight one-hundredths of a degree Celsius over that set in July 1998. NASA calculates that July 2015 beat what they assert was the previous warmest month (July 2011) by two one-hundredths of a degree.

If accurate, the "warmers" are jumping up and down about...0.08°C delta-T, measured across numerous data points (the SAME data points?) global-wide, between 2015 and 1998. 17yrs. The new record beat the old record by...0.02°C. Further, that's some dam-accurate thermometer. I wonder what it's tolerance range is? I'll get to that later...

Back to the first point, Man-Made-Global-Warming is indeed occuring and a fact, due to a delta-T of a miniscule 0.08°C. This is even STRONGER EVIDENCE than previously, when the same statement was made by only a dT of 0.02°C. 0.08 is a 300% increase over 0.02°C. 4X greater than the previous dT. Therefore, it MUST be right...right? Go find me some human who is capable of detecting a dT of 0.08°C across their body. What the warmers are pushing is that this actually is proof of their cause. What Earthly-being encompasses the entire Earth, to "feel" this in the first place? Yea, there's that word again "feel". You'll see that word arise A LOT in warmers language. Because they "measure" things by feelings, whereas science is interested in FACTS. Warmers are indeed sensitive though...0.08°C has them tearing their clothes, foaming at the mouth, dumping (organic) ashes on their heads, driving their Euro-SUV's on the sidewalk, and texting while driving, all at the same time. No wonder their knee-jerk reactions cause so many HWY accidents!

But I digress....

Quote:
(2) But government spokespeople rarely mention the inconvenient fact that these records are being set by less than the uncertainty in the statistics. NOAA claims an uncertainty of 14 one-hundredths of a degree in its temperature averages, or near twice the amount by which they say the record was set. NASA says that their data is typically accurate to one tenth of a degree, five times the amount by which their new record was set.

I even mentioned this in my previous post...where are the error bars? +- tolerances? Statistical data? Hello? 0.14°C. Is that + or - ? As in +-0.14°C? If so, the error bar is now 0.28°C wide. Plenty wide enough to drive 0.08°C straight through without detection. 3.5X as wide as the value they're claiming. Well how does that work? It doesn't, does it?

Even if the error bar is only half of the above value, 0.14°C total, or +-0.07°C, their value of 0.08°C is 0.01°C is barely outside. one one-hundredth. Yea, that's a confidence builder isn't it? Yet any warmer instantly gets over-heated at such an increase and immediately finds themself on the sidewalk, txtng furiously....

"There is a sucker born every minute" PT Barnum. I need to set up a carny game where warmers pay me money trying to sink a 4" rubber ring on a upright 2.5" piece of PVC at 80'. Given the above logic, they'd line up in droves....

Quote:
(3)They also know that calculating so-called global average temperatures to hundredths of a degree is irrational. After all, there is very little data for the 70 percent of Earth’s surface that is ocean. There is also little data for mountainous and desert regions, not to mention the Antarctic. Much of the coverage is so sparse that NASA is forced to make the ridiculous claim that regions are adequately covered if there is a temperature-sensing station within nearly 750 miles. This is the distance between Ottawa, Canada, and Myrtle Beach, S.C. cities with very different climates. Yet, according to NASA, only one temperature sensing station is necessary for the two cities and the vast area between them to be adequately represented in their network.

Yep..not to mention that then entire Earth surface doesn't experience the same season, much less the same weather. It's that 23.5° tilt-thing that Mother Nature imposed. Furthermore, 750mi across any surface on Earth, isn't a straight line either, regardless of your altitude.

Quote:
(4)In the final analysis, it is no more meaningful to calculate an average temperature for a whole planet than it is to calculate the average telephone number in the Washington D.C. phone book. Temperature, like viscosity and density, and of course phone numbers, is not something that can be meaningfully averaged. “Global temperature” does not exist.

In their award winning book, “Taken By Storm” (2007), Canadian researchers Christopher Essex and Ross McKitrick explain: “Temperature is not an amount of something [like height or weight]. It is a number that represents the condition of a physical system. In thermodynamics it is known as an intensive quantity, in contrast to quantities like energy, which have an additive property, which we call extensive in thermodynamics.”

Even if enough accurate surface temperature measurements existed to ensure reasonable planetary coverage (it doesn’t) and to calculate some sort of global temperature statistic, interpreting its significance would be challenging. What averaging rule would you use to handle the data from thousands of temperature-sensing stations? Mean, mode, median, root mean square? Science does not tell us. For some groups of close temperature measures (and NASA and NOAA are dealing with thousands of very close temperatures), one method of calculating an average can lead to a determination of warming while another can lead to a conclusion of cooling.

Even if you could calculate some sort of meaningful global temperature statistic, the figure would be unimportant. No one and nothing would experience it directly since we all live in regions, not the globe. There is no super-sized being straddling the planet, feeling global averages in temperature. Global warming does not matter.

Yep. Not only do you need to be careful when "averaging" any large data set, but you have to ask "Is it useful or meaningless?" There is a REASON statistics was created...

So "Al" here condemns the above as "laughable" and the ICSC as a comic book denier organization. And further cited his rationale for doing so based on a "dailykos" article??? LOL AL. Talk about laughable. I bet you didn't even read the article, did you? You sure are adept at fast-track C&P though.

Take a powder there Al! Chill-out. You're over-heating. Leading to Al-based GW! One more point: Instead of commenting on Harris' text as I am doing, you jibe straight to the often used tactic displayed. Facts too much of an Inconvenient Truth there Al?

Quote:
The sad answer will be that it had nothing to do with the realities of science, technology or economics. The tragic blunder is based on satisfying political expedience for a privileged few, egged on by vested financial interests, and supported by largely uninformed activists granted the media platforms needed to sway public opinion. As Jay Lehr, science director of the Chicago-based Heartland Institute said, “It is a scam that dwarfs all others that have come before.”

Indeed. The over-heated warming-crowd has indeed become...over-heated. Man-made GW is nothing more than Man-Made Fraud, propagated by a minority, using mass-media to spew fear, instability, chaos and crisis!, to further their own political cause.

A man-made mass-movement, caught up in an emotional thrall, incapable of independent thought and reflection. The evolution revolution MUST continue! THE MOVEMENT MUST MOVE FORWARD! PROGRESS DEMANDS SACRIFICE!

Gimme a break and go home!

"More frightening than any particular beliefs or policies is an utter lack of any sense of a need to test those beliefs and policies against hard evidence. Mistakes can be corrected by those who pay attention to facts. But dogmatism will not be corrected by those who are wedded to a vision" - Thomas Sowell

"Environmentalism has replaced Socialism as the leading secular religion" - Freeman Dyson

"Those who can't handle the Truth, try to silence those who speak it"

"What's the point: To destroy a man who seeks the Truth or to destroy the Truth so no man can seek it?" - Fox Mulder

"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it" - HL Mencken.

"Nothing so infuriates champions of "diversity" as much as an opinion diverse from their own"

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of it's powers to repress dissent, for the Truth is the moral enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the Truth is the greatest enemy of the State" - Joseph Goebbels

"It is easier to believe a lie that one has heard a 1000 times than to believe a fact that one has never heard before" - Robert Lynd

"The global warming crowd likes to deride skeptics as the equivalent of the Catholic Church refusing to accept the Copernican theory. The irony is that, today, it is those who dare critique the New Religion of Human-Induced Climate Change who face The Inquisition" - Kim Strassel

"The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses" - Lenin.

"The MSM covers what it wants to cover, and then covers up the rest"

"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were" - David Brinkley

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed, and hence clamorous to be led to safety, by manacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." - HL Mencken

"Politics is not about facts. It's about what politicians can get people to believe" - Thomas Sowell

"Yesterday's Flower Children are Today's Blooming Idiot's!"

Hey sleddriver, while you're worrying about the tiny amounts of what makes one July the "hottest" - did you happen to notice that all 3 of them have occurred since 1998?

That's quite recent. Only further proof of a warming trend since we started burning fossil fuels.

Its not like you are pointing out a .02 increase versus July 1890. You're lost in looking at too much detail and not the trend. Pull back a little bit. How many of the hottest years and months have happened most recently? A lot, it seems.

A trend that coincides with burning of fossil fuels, releasing C02, an increase in atmospheric C02 levels, and an increase in measured temps. The debate should be on whether it is coincidental or not. Not on the temp data.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver :

[quote
(1)NOAA says that the record was set by eight one-hundredths of a degree Celsius over that set in July 1998. NASA calculates that July 2015 beat what they assert was the previous warmest month (July 2011) by two one-hundredths of a degree.

If accurate, the "warmers" are jumping up and down about...0.08°C delta-T, measured across numerous data points (the SAME data points?) global-wide, between 2015 and 1998. 17yrs. The new record beat the old record by...0.02°C. Further, that's some dam-accurate thermometer. I wonder what it's tolerance range is? I'll get to that later... [/quote]
You are re-arranging the Deck chairs on the Titanic instead of addressing the real meat and potatoes.

July was 1.35 Degrees F above the 1951 to 1980 average. However, July of 2011, 2009 and 1998 were very close as well with +1.33, +1.30 and +1.28 respectively above this average.

Yes it just beat the record but the fact is that the 15 warmest years have all occurred since 1997. All the years after 1997 have smashed the average between 1951 and 1980 by about 1.30 F. Why are you just going after minutia??

I know why..like any defence lawyer you are injecting irrelevant doubt to confuse the issue. Anyone (almost) can see through this.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver :

If accurate, the "warmers" are jumping up and down about...0.08°C delta-T, measured across numerous data points (the SAME data points?) global-wide, between 2015 and 1998. 17yrs. The new record beat the old record by...0.02°C. Further, that's some dam-accurate thermometer. I wonder what it's tolerance range is? I'll get to that later...

You are re-arranging the Deck chairs on the Titanic instead of addressing the real meat and potatoes.

July was 1.35 Degrees F above the 1951 to 1980 average. However, July of 2011, 2009 and 1998 were very close as well with +1.33, +1.30 and +1.28 respectively above this average.

Yes it just beat the record but the fact is that the 15 warmest years have all occurred since 1997. All the years after 1997 have smashed the average between 1951 and 1980 by about 1.30 F. Why are you just going after minutia??

I know why..like any defence lawyer you are injecting irrelevant doubt to confuse the issue. Anyone (almost) can see through this. [/quote]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back