Disposal of Power Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you dispose of those external battery/power banks for cell phones? I know that they're lithium ion but do they go with other batteries for recycling or due to electronics in there (the LED's to show status) do they need to go a different route?

I searched but didn't find anything, so if there is a thread out there, I'd appreciate a link.

I would put it in the E-Waste category, as they take UPS and battery backups of all sorts.

Any e-waste recycling point also take batteries so you're covered unless you have a bulk amount..

You can *probably* drop it off at a battery-only recycling point that take cellphone batteries if you can't find a e-waste drop off, and they'll figure it out. But that's if you're lazier and can't find the ewaste dropoff.

Last edited:
In our area Best Buy has bins to take old batteries, old printer cartridges, small electronics and whatnot. I see they have locations in the Chicago area.

Just a tip, one may want to scotch tape the + and - ends of batteries prior to disposal.

Our used batteries @ work are collected by the company and someone realized throwing a bunch of power producing metal cased devices into a common box probably is a recipe for an accident.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Just a tip, one may want to scotch tape the + and - ends of batteries prior to disposal.

Our used batteries @ work are collected by the company and someone realized throwing a bunch of power producing metal cased devices into a common box probably is a recipe for an accident.

+1

Thanks for all of the tips. Looks like I have an excuse to go to Best Buy now.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back