DOW is taking a slide....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
If by rigged he means riddled with insider trading while us suckers on the outside are stuck just hoping after they're done raiding the coffers we're left with a few scraps, then yeah I agree.

OK. So, the same question applies to you, then.

Where do you put your money?

What other option is there? I try to minimize my risk by sticking to index funds and not buying individual stocks.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
The market is like predicting the weather.

If it's January and someone asks what the weather will be like in two weeks, no one really has any idea. It could be colder or it could be warmer. However if someone asks what the weather will be like in July, I can confidently say it will be warmer than it is in January.

If you're in the market you should be in for the long term; you'll see cycles of up and down. But historically there is far more up than there is down, and there's no reason to believe that will change.

When the market is down it's a buying opportunity. The last recession created some of the best sale prices in a very long time. Of course, if people had their money invested in "oil stashes" then they couldn't take advantage of a real investment. A few years after the recession, stock prices were at some of the highest levels ever seen, and it was the perfect opportunity to sell and move money into less volatile investments. If the market does take another swing, it will be a great opportunity to once again buy low and then when it rebounds, sell high.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
the Mother of All Corrections has been commenced

Says the mother of all chicken littles.

Wow.

Twice this year I agree with one of your posts.

Will wonders never cease.

The stock market follows its established trends. A bull market goes to beat and will lose ground,then it goes bull again etc until there is an engineered fall where the elite cash out,taking all the gains with them.
Once the market resets the elite buy low,because their the only ones with money,and the cycle repeats itself.
3 steps forward,2 steps back until the gains can be extracted by the elite.

Why anyone even chooses to play this game anymore baffles me. Yes small gains can be made however historically the only winners in the stock market are the ones who control it,at the expense of the common man.
If we quit playing we remove all the money they need effectively taking away their power.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Where do you put your money?

Precious metals, and land, the elite repeatedly do this because they know those items always eventually increase in value, even if the occasionally decrease (after all they game metals to some degree as well) AND they are TANGLIBLE assets.

Precious metals are a useless asset, you can't eat gold. Metal can collapse just like the stock market, it's just another house of cards.

Spoos are down another 60 points in Asian session, they had a low print of 1911. We shall see what Europe does in a few hours..

I have no skin in this game, just immensely enjoying the spectacle.

Time to brush up on limits and circuit breaker rules.

Nice acceleration here:

VMEjIEQ.png

Originally Posted By: Y_K
A bigger picture. [Unrelated: Eurodollar COT suggests that worst is ahead of us..]

dUNfhbf.png

You have no idea what that chart says.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Just waiting for the bottom...when stocks are on sale...

IYH, the Healthcare ETF is down 25%!!

PLUNGE PROTECTION TEAM IN ACTION THIS MORNING TO COUNTER
THE 1000 POINT DROP EARLY ON TODAY.

The stock market is rigged and always has been.

Last edited:
The annualized return of the S&P 500 is roughly 10%.

All you poo-poo-ers who say that the market is rigged and only the 'elite' prosper from it... if you simply buy and hold, a 10% return will double your money every 7 years. Compounding can make you a substantial sum of money. But you need to save and invest first. Its much easier to complain that its rigged and the common man will never make any money, vs the discipline required to save and invest properly (not time the market, or buy individual, risky, stocks).

Those who think that by listening to some paid newsletter system will get them out and back in on time
33.gif

good luck. NO ONE, NO ONE, can successfully time the ups and downs of the market. If they could, they would be rich and not need to sell you a newsletter!!! Think about that.

Freaking hysterical hysteria. My 457 contribution goes in Thu, close of day, so any more drops before then is just fine with me - better pricing and more shares bought.

surfstar,

How much of your gross pay do you invest ?

I'm at 30% every paycheck. I agree not to worry if market drops 10, 20, 30% if you are in it for the long term.

The buyback isn't rational. I have a feeling the government is buying to prevent panic.

It would be healthier to let it drop and stay down for more than a few minutes. It makes things worse for later.

I saw the same thing going on in 08. The Dow would drop 500 points then get bought back up 500 the next day. Rinse and repeat.

Mr Nice,
roughly 30% annually
Max 457b plan (no match, though) and Roth. Plus pension contributions, not included in the above 30% figure. We don't pay into or get SS, though.

If we decide to buy a condo around here, I'll likely have to cut back at that time (house is out of budget unless there's a big decline). We'll see how the local housing market goes, though. Max retirement funding and renting is still on the table... all depends on possible rugrat in the future

Hey, don't look now, but the dow is 850 points above its low today! Hope you guys didn't sell!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The buyback isn't rational. I have a feeling the government is buying to prevent panic.

Sounds like quantitative easing to me, that sure was rational, huh...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

If only the government would have actually bought stocks with SSI money instead of government bonds.

SSI probably would never have another worry, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back