A thread for the sane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, with climate change deniers and gold bugs preaching of the "elite's" market - are there any sane people left on this message board?

I feel like I'm yelling into a hurricane of crazy.

Happy Monday ya'll. Hope you didn't sell all your stocks and put that into tin foil.

Probably just you and me and I might not be too sure about you!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Me! I bought more equities at the market's open when things were way down.

My retirement accounts remain untouched, with only deposits being made for the next ~17 years.

My vehicles are paid for. My only debt is the mortgage.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Do you guys also manage your wife's retirement account(s) ?

My wife only has like 35K in Roths. Very little to "Manage"

Not touching anything or predicting gold will go to $5000/oz...but I'd probably call that rational more than sane.

I don't do individual stocks and I'm pure mutual funds with some real estate and precious metals ( in the form of hand-me-down numismatics and antiques ) so I'm not ready to raid my 401k to build the survival bunker just yet.

Do you guys also manage your wife's retirement account(s)?

I remain unmarried. I was engaged not long ago, she was living with me, and I was paying all the bills while she bought tons of [censored] and racked up some credit card debt.

Knowing that she was living for free, working full-time while making $40k, and spending all of her money on junk, I asked her to have a good talk about money and consider saving for the future. I wanted to get married and find a nicer house.

A huge meltdown ensued. "You can't tell me what to do with my money!"

I'm living alone again. At least the dogs don't scream at me.

My wife moved a bunch of our daughter's college money out of stocks a few weeks ago on the advice of the financial planner she works for...I thought it was a good move, too, seemed to be about time as we will start needing it in 2 years. Haven't touched any of of our other investments. She's a CPA and takes care of all the dirty work with our money.
House, ski condo, and cars are all paid for. I expect this stuff to blow over fairly quickly, but I'm not too worried if it doesn't, either.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

I remain unmarried. I was engaged not long ago, she was living with me, and I was paying all the bills while she bought tons of [censored] and racked up some credit card debt.

Knowing that she was living for free, working full-time while making $40k, and spending all of her money on junk, I asked her to have a good talk about money and consider saving for the future. I wanted to get married and find a nicer house in the near future.

Funny how it was "her money" while your money was supporting her basic needs.
I think you were probably fortunate to get out before it was too late...hope you find a sane lady you can build a life with soon.

As far as climate change goes, I sometimes wonder if we are looking at the wrong culprit. It's not CO2, its heat rejection. According to a Google search I just did, US gasoline consumption in 2014 was 374 million gallons A DAY. Most of that was probably burned in internal combustion engines, located in automobiles.

Let's be generous and say all those ICEs were 35% efficient. That leaves 65% of the BTUs of all that gas rejected into the atmosphere. Every day.

That's not counting diesel or turbine fuel consumption either, which I'm sure is a significant contribution as well. And we're only talking about the U.S. here - China, Europe and Russia and many others are in on the game as well.

Does global warming exist? I can't say, I'm not a scientist. But I know when I park my fully warmed up car in my garage and close it up, the air isn't cooler 30 minutes later - it's heated the garage nicely. I'm not a tree hugger or any of that, just making an observation and a ( probably demented ) theory.

Now as far as the stock market goes, it's a very cyclical thing that takes combinations of things to move it, emotion being one of them. I've invested in the market for decades and while there's been ups and downs, my money has grown. I'm retired now and lots of my money is in dividend stocks which tend to have a limit as to how much they rumble around in good times and bad. The stock market is the only place to put your money nowadays if you want to see it grow - just buy solid stuff and don't look at that man behind the curtain....

Last edited:
A
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Knowing that she was living for free, working full-time while making $40k, and spending all of her money on junk, I asked her to have a good talk about money and consider saving for the future. I wanted to get married and find a nicer house in the near future.

Funny how it was "her money" while your money was supporting her basic needs.
I think you were probably fortunate to get out before it was too late...hope you find a sane lady you can build a life with soon.

Thanks friend. Good things are in the future, including a move to a more populated area.

Buy high, sell low. We didn't sell anything when the big one hit in 08 and not going to sell anything now. The market goes up and the market goes down, but mostly the market goes up. Have seen these market swoons for going on four decades and can tell you your best bet for your investment is the market. No load Index funds that follow the S&P 500. Blue ribbon companies that pay dividends.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
We are on a motor oil message board.

I don't think any of us should be complaining about those not "sane"

+1 lol

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Well, with climate change deniers and gold bugs preaching of the "elite's" market - are there any sane people left on this message board?

Happy Monday ya'll. Hope you didn't sell all your stocks and put that into tin foil.

Over lunch today, Mrs. Astro and I discussed target prices for a few stocks we've had our eye on...

No reason to panic.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

I suspect the sane ones are actually trying to respect the rules and preserve the integrity of the forum by not participating in those discussions.

But yeah, it's pretty kooky around here. No mystery why most of the good people all but stopped posting years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back