First oil filter you ever installed or used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to help my Dad when I was young. It would probably be an AC Delco, but possibly a Fram, as I can remember both but not sure which was first.

My first 2 cars (85 Buick Skyhawk and then a 89 Ponitac Sunbird) used AC Delco PF-47's. I used the PF47's for each oil change except for once when I got the WIX equivalent.

Way back in time but being a true BITOGer..I remember my first oil change on my 1978 Jeep CJ7 (which I still have!). It was a PEP BOYS filter, which was a relabeled Purolator at the time, and I used Exxon Superflo oil at .89 a quart.

Those were the days being in highschool and on a beer budget!

In the 1970's in my '73 Chevelle, it was an AC filter, the big truck filter and Cam 2 20W-50 racing oil. that is what we thought was best back in the day.

The first oil filter i ever used had to be a group 7 by purolator i was around 15 and my friend and i bought an old oldsmobile for $100.00 that we drove for over a year with no license no registration and no insurance but always a good inspection sticker that we got from the junk yard with a bottle of glass cleaner...lol
I got the filter from our family engine shop we used group 7 for as long as i can remember but we stopped using them totally when all their tearing and quality issues came to light. I also remember using pennzoil yellow "can" 10w40 with z7
I also remember using maxi guards and fram on my friends fathers fords he used to buy them at a store called korvettes i think

Fram orange cans ... They always did just fine. Even for 6k or 7k miles. Then when Fram Ultra first came out I was very happy to skip with messing with the filter every other oil change. Happy days
smile.gif

My first car was a $250 dollar 1988 Olds Toronado that my dad and I went in halvers on. I can't remember if that was my first oil change or not, but I used Advance Auto 10W-30 oil and an AcDelco PF47 filter. Dad used to stock said oil and AcDelco and Motorcraft filters.

I'm currently 25, but my first oil change was about 10 years ago on my 1991 Nissan Maxima with an Fram PH3882. I wised up on my next vehicle and used a Napa Gold 1372 on a 04 5.4L F150.

The Frantz as my dad was putting them on everything in sight. Easy to change. I remember using the Hastings with the depth media, not like the ones now, and Sears. I had a place called Scherba's auto, and Sears that was about it. No Walmart. There was a Napa, but I thought that was the high priced place.
I looked up my first cars and they took bypass filters in a canister, Fram C3 C4 type. Still sold today. I still would prefer that type, easy to change and no worries basically.

KCJeep- I liked the TropArtic 10W-40 and I typically use that brand today of course in a thinner grade. To add back then it was usually 69 cents a quart and usually the oil majors were always in competition and typically had at the minimum a 30 cent or better (sometimes free) mail in rebate with their motor oils back in the mid 80s.

As for the Fram filters I went through a rather long period of loyalty for quite some time after a year of AC Delcos on that Consumer Reports article on their filtering superiority until the internet exposed of their shoddy quality in the late 90s and cheapened the guts of the filter then I switched to Motorcraft.

Then around 2006 when API SM oils came out it started to become uneconomic to change your oil as it was cheaper to utilize the sub 15 dollar oil change specials. So I went through that phase.

Now I am changing it again because I don't have access to those specials down in the Ozarks. I typically use Trop Artic sourced from Orscheln's or oils sourced from Menards like Super S and use a Fram Ultra over a 2 OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back