Hills and OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I have a 2015 Kia Sorento 3.3l v6. I live on a large hill/ mountain, its about 2000 feet higher than the city. The road is fairly steep, 12% on some grades. Most trips are under 15 miles. I have QSUD 5w-20 in it now and will be changing to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20. Should I go the full 6 month OCI KIA calls for or reduce it? (I don't put enough miles on it to make the 7500 oci in 6 months)
Thanks!

The hills should make no difference at all unless you push it before the engine is up to operating temperature. Just don't "lug" it. The dynamic forces within the engine are of such magnitude that the addition of the hills won't be noticed as long as you're reasonable with your driving. With an automatic you might want to stay in a lower gear at first just like you would with a manual tranny and go easy on the throttle for a bit. Other than that the hill(s) should have no effect on your planned OCI.

At least you live on top of the hill, not the bottom.

First trip in the morning is easy on the engine.

No oil life indicator. And I try to keep it in 3rd gear on the way up it keeps it around 3000 rpm seems, it seems to be the best gear to me. Although the automatic transmission chooses 4th or 5th going up.

I have an identical situation to yours.
I'll change the oil in November just as the cold weather hits.
After X cold starts, and I don't care about mileage, that oil comes out in March.
March to November is too long of a stretch, so I do an in-between oil change mid-summer.

3rd gear @ 3,000 rpm means that you are smarter than a transmission. Most people aren't.

5,000 engine LOF changes and draining / refilling the auto transmission more frequently are prudent for a severe service driving style.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
5,000 engine LOF changes and draining / refilling the auto transmission more frequently are prudent for a severe service driving style.

Spot on. Transmission is a key factor as well.

To much focus on the engine oil alone other fluids for smooth long life vehicle operation seem to be neglected in the discussions such as the cooling system, brake fluid, power steering and diff fluid.

It is understood that engine oil has combustion byproducts issues to deal with as do all the other vehicle components have its own requirements and servicing needs.

Last edited:
The service manual calls for the transmission be changed every 60k. What would you recommend?

I would think living at the top of the hill would be an advantage as long as you're not compression breaking a cold engine going downhill. If your engine is at operating temps when you get to the hill to go home you're golden.

As others have suggested, it is he transmission that becomes more important. I would follow a severe rotation for the Tranny and consider 30K intervals. A lot of manufactures are all over the place with recommendation but with hills, it is one place where the conservative approach is often a good one. Just make sure that you follow the fluid recommendation to keep those pesky Korean Warranties.

FYI, I have a fumoto valve on my older subie's transmission... and I only have 15-20% for a couple hundred feet for my work/home difference (but I also have to cross a ridge too). Up and down 3X

Using PP or any other decent syn for a 6 month interval is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back