anyone ever used treadwright tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wrangler I was going to get a new set of 235/75 r15s for, and heard about treadwrights from some jeep guys. Anyone ever run em?

I was looking at the atg a/t tires. Vaguely look like good years, with super chunky sidewall blocks. And 14/32 tread.

Also thinking about the wardens for my truck when its tires burn out. $100 era for bfg tako clones sounds good to me

Any thoughts or reviews?

Some people love em. For a trail rig needing gnarly tires they are hard to beat.

There are plenty of sales on NON-retreaded good tires for me though.

In fact DT/DTD has a major one coming up for labor day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hansj3
I have a wrangler I was going to get a new set of 235/75 r15s for, and heard about treadwrights from some jeep guys. Anyone ever run em?

I was looking at the atg a/t tires. Vaguely look like good years, with super chunky sidewall blocks. And 14/32 tread.

Also thinking about the wardens for my truck when its tires burn out. $100 era for bfg tako clones sounds good to me

Any thoughts or reviews?

As it happens, I have used both, and I have absolutely nothing but glowing praise for them. I had the exact tires you are considering (with Kedge Grip, which is superb in winter) on my Cherokee...great traction, noise not excessive (I honestly expected them to be much louder), and had a bit more than half tread remaining with 35,000 miles.

I used the Wardens on two different F-350's. They saw HARD use, including the truly-brutal duty of snowplowing: running right at the maximum axle weights front & rear, lots of back-and-forth, and tight turns. The rears on my 92 (235/85R16E, running at 80PSI and right at their maximum load capacity) chunked a little bit, the fronts not at all...in what is basically a worst-case application, I got about 40K. The 265/75R16E's I ran on my 79 weren't worked quite as hard (longer wheelbase so a bit less scrubbing, and I ran about the same weight on a slightly higher-capacity tire), and went a bit longer...maybe 45-50K. Note that they will last LONGER without the Kedge Grip.

My wife got about 55K on her lighter K-5 Blazer.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Any thoughts or reviews?

As it happens, I have used both, and I have absolutely nothing but glowing praise for them. I had the exact tires you are considering (with Kedge Grip, which is superb in winter) on my Cherokee...great traction, noise not excessive (I honestly expected them to be much louder), and had a bit more than half tread remaining with 35,000 miles.

I used the Wardens on two different F-350's. They saw HARD use, including the truly-brutal duty of snowplowing: running right at the maximum axle weights front & rear, lots of back-and-forth, and tight turns. The rears on my 92 (235/85R16E, running at 80PSI and right at their maximum load capacity) chunked a little bit, the fronts not at all...in what is basically a worst-case application, I got about 40K. The 265/75R16E's I ran on my 79 weren't worked quite as hard (longer wheelbase so a bit less scrubbing, and I ran about the same weight on a slightly higher-capacity tire), and went a bit longer...maybe 45-50K. Note that they will last LONGER without the Kedge Grip.

Oh man that's awesome to hear... I work for a tire shop, and i can't even touch tires for the money. I will have to get the grip option when I ger em

I have the Guard Dogs on my Montero and would highly recommend them. I have only had them about 4 months and have around 5,000 miles on them but they have been great. Follow the static balance method though. My installer started dynamic balancing and was shocked how much weight it was going to take then I told him they were supposed to be Static balanced and ti took about 20% of the weight that dynamic balancing was going to require. Not sure what they do but static works well. They performed great in the sand at the Outer Banks this summer. I did not even lower tire pressure as they recommend. Only place I had trouble was climbing the dunes too slow. It would get stuck but then I just backed down so it was good.

I installed a set on my 2005 Trailblazer, quite a few years ago now.

My only complaint was handling. That thing was absolutely scary to drive. It got MUCH better after new shocks were installed. It was never a feeling of lack of grip, but there was a lot of tread squirming. I would probably have been very happy with them on a longer wheelbase, but the short wheelbase of the Trailblazer didn't suit them well. These were the BFG TA KO knockoffs, whichever those are.

Overall cost wasn't terribly exciting either. The price on the tires was great, but the $100 in shipping and more in balancing etc ran them up to very near the price of 'regular' tires.

I only owned the car for a few more weeks after installing the tires (that was a complaint with Chevrolet and unresolved warranty issues, not the tires). The new owner complained of the handling as well while we were on the test drive and I expect the tires were replaced quickly.

That said, I WOULD buy them again. If I move back to MN and trade the V8 RWD I own now for a pickup it will likely get a set. I wouldn't be putting them on something like a wrangled however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Any thoughts or reviews?

Oh man that's awesome to hear... I work for a tire shop, and i can't even touch tires for the money. I will have to get the grip option when I ger em

You only need the KG if you will use them in snow & ice.

Also, for the Wrangler, look into the 30x9.50R15 size. It's the same size (~1/2" taller) and had a much more modern tread pattern.

Puma500x500new.png

Downside: $20 more.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back