Mercedes/Purflux Cartridge Filter - Factory - 14K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled this one out a little while ago, but never got around to posting it up. What we have here is the factory installed OEM Purflux filter on the little lady's 2015 Mercedes E350. Without my knowledge, she drove 14,000 miles on the FF. Contrary to internet horror stories of running these vehicles on the extended runs, and insistence that the FF must be dumped almost immediately the engine does not seem any worse for wear.

This filter seems to be a really high quality piece. At $13.80 from the Benz dealer, it certainly should be. For those unfamiliar with the brand, it typically comes in exotics like Ferrari. It has a rather interesting pleat structure that survived rather well. Other than coloring, it's hard to tell the old filter from the new one.

Inside of the filter mount:

Magnetic drain plug had almost nothing on it.

Nice filter! Better than the Mann and Mahle that German cars usually come with. Also good to see that Napa/Wix reboxes the OEM.

Oh, no, actually that box is actually for our Lexus GS350. I got the new Benz filter from Benz of Lauderdale. I did a complete oil change round of all of our vehicles at the same time.

Love the way those Purflux filters look.
Thanks for the pics DoubleWasp
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for sharing. That's fascinating. I've never seen one of those before.

Just for the fun of it I looked up the filter for your sweetheart's '15 E350 on Rock Auto. From the picture shown, it looks like the Wix filter (57059) is almost identical to the OEM, including the filtration media pattern. The only difference is the color of the filtration media, which is a golden brown, instead of white.

I wonder if the purpose is simply to increase filtration media surface area, or if there is some other purpose to the pattern.

$13 for that filter is like free at the MB dealer. My wife had an e320, the filter at the dealer by Mann was much more than that. This company from France would sell a good amount of filters if they marketed them here for decent prices. Corner of a Napa box in picture, WIX WIX WIX hahaha.

what is the advantage of this squiggly filter media?

Seems like it is only for large filters.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

I wonder if the purpose is simply to increase filtration media surface area, or if there is some other purpose to the pattern.

I believe this is the reason. Not sure if the folded pleats add any strength though?

Here's my thought: the sharp waves created compresses the media to resist media movement/splits/waviness/tears compared to straight media (puro seems to be the worst for media movement.)

I wish Perflux would come to the US. A lot of US filter brands are getting nerfed.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I pulled this one out a little while ago, but never got around to posting it up. What we have here is the factory installed OEM Purflux filter on the little lady's 2015 Mercedes E350. Without my knowledge, she drove 14,000 miles on the FF. Contrary to internet horror stories of running these vehicles on the extended runs, and insistence that the FF must be dumped almost immediately the engine does not seem any worse for wear.

I had my E430 FF drained at more than 13k miles, passed the oil life monitor by several hundreds miles.

The engine is running good at 170+k miles, it doesn't consume measurable oil between OCI's, even with much thinner oil such as PP 5W20.

One time I used the Mahle cartridge oil filter for 2 OCI's of 10k each, the filter condition after 20k miles was almost as new. The filter holder of my E430 is almost as clean as the one in your picture.

I think a good synthetic in an MB engine can lasted up to 15-20k miles under non-severe driving condition. Since the average speed in US is much slower than in European countries, most of the times we don't drive too fast and RPM on highway is usually below 2.5-3k.

Looks ace, worth it's premium price

That zig zag pleat pattern vaugely reminds me of the cut open euro market Fram OCOD's that were shown around a year back

Seems like a solid design

No problem.

BHopkins: That WIX filter is also impossible to find locally. Believe me I tried. I even asked at NAPA while I was picking up the filter for the GS350. I think the media design is for strength and form, because if you look real close at the center tube of the new filter, you can clearly see that there is no backing support of the media; wire or otherwise.

goodtimes: I was a little surprised myself that it was that cheap. I was expecting a $40 hit, but I needed it, and couldn't find any alternative locally, except for a standard Fram filter. Once I have my 58 quart drain-pan-on-wheels out, a lot of fluids are getting changed.

Vern_in_IL, dlundblad, wirelessF: Pretty sure it's for strength, since it gets awat with no backing on the media, and obviously holds up well.

HTSS_TR: I'm seriously impressed with M1 syn here. Since it's under warranty, I'm continuing to run it, except in 5W40 instead of the 0W40. Doubt it makes a difference in FL, and acceptable by Benz. This car gets romped on pretty good. I'm glad it isn't an E550 or the tickets would pile up fast.

michaelluscher: Must be a Euro thing. It's working for sure.

Lucky is the owner who gets to use that primo piece of filter engineering! Very nice. Waviness increases surface area and flexibility, avoiding stress concentrations.

.....she drove 14,000 miles on the FF. Contrary to internet horror stories of running these vehicles on the extended runs, and insistence that the FF must be dumped almost immediately the engine does not seem any worse for wear.

You can never tell from standing outside the vehicle how much extra wear you got. That requires micrometer measurements on cams at the very least. So, yeah, it seems OK.
However, with that great filter, its probably doing better than most engines.

Magnetic drain plug had almost nothing on it.

That says a lot. I've not seen very little iron dust like that.

I remember the white ones were "fleece" filters, and were recommended and used by MB for the extended drain intervals. The tan ones were standard quality. Actually Mann fleece filters have gone down in price from a few years ago. Still $13 for the fleece at a MB dealer is a good price. You can be sure you are getting the right and authentic filter.

Vern_in_IL, dlundblad, wirelessF: Pretty sure it's for strength, since it gets away with no backing on the media, and obviously holds up well.

No, it isn't for strength. The OEM filter of my E430 has straight media likes every other German filters for 2000 E430. it doesn't have any backing of the media as shown in the picture below.

I used 1 paper Mahle filter for 2 OCI's of total 20k miles, no deformed or other problems.

71BhUuUFAXL._SL1500_.jpg

Originally Posted By: wirelessF

I wish Perflux would come to the US. A lot of US filter brands are getting nerfed.

This wouldn't benefit us too much. Remember that most US-market Mann and Mahle filters aren't made in Europe. Most Mahle cans sold here are made in Mexico and with inferior components. US Manns are reboxed Purolator Classics.

Other filters(paper) for '00 E430.

This Hengst filter is identical to Mahle filter I used 2 OCI's. There is no string on the filter like Mann fleece filter.

41vKcJlB%2BgL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back