Honda Civic Hybrid 2002-2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, the search for a used car continues unfortunately. I spent this weekend looking at a few older corolla's and civics, most of them in terrible shape (in contrast to their craigslist ad!). I did see a 2003 honda civic hybrid however, car ran well and looked reasonable however the owner said that the IMA battery pack is going bad (per mechanic). I was wondering, can I drive the car for years without the hybrid battery, and if so, can I just remove the battery pack altogether?

Hopefully someone chimes in as I don't know how long it can be driven like that, but the guy I work with has one. has been a pretty good car. I think he is close 200,000 on his. It is daily driver.

The old Civic to have is an HX model with a 5 speed manual. Unfortunately they were made in low numbers and are hard to find.

My daughter owned one of these cars. There was a recall that reset the CPU because the original setup was damaging the battery. The result was a big drop in fuel mileage. She immediately sold the car before the problem became more widely known and would lower the resale value.

She would not recommend the car because as she put it, other cars without hybrid complications and possible expenses were getting better mileage.

If you really want a proven hybrid that will never want for parts shortages of a place to service it that knows how they work you might want to consider a Prius.

I agree with Oneeyejack. I looked into a Civic hybrid before buying a Prius and it seems that the Civic hybrid is not nearly as reliable as the Prius. I wished it weren't true because I found a really good deal on one. If you're going to go with a hybrid midsize car, Prius is the way to go.

As for driving it without a properly functioning hybrid battery... Forget about it. The computer will probably limit the speed of the car to 30mph and the engine will be revving like crazy...

My son had one of those for a couple of years. He lives in Pheonix, AZ. The heat would cause the battery system to shut down. Someone did him a favor and rear ended it. Ins totaled it. I wouldn't own one.

The Honda CVT in this and the GX (natural gas) were pretty unreliable. I'd stay away and pick an 06 or later that has traditional automatic instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back