Power steering leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

My power steering rack has started leaking fluid.

I went to buy another lower mileage power steering rack from the same vehicle (Mitsubishi Diamante) and to be safe I took the rack boots off.
Some oil came out (maybe 2 tablespoons worth).

Can someone tell me, are these things meant to contain all oil, or is it expected that they will leak a tiny bit out during normal use?

And, is there anything that can be done to them, ie, replace some seals or anything but not go full reconditioned?

Last edited:
Was it oil or really dirty power steering fluid that came out? Is the rack back or just leaking? I would try some power steering stop leak first to see if that works before you have to change the rack.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Should be no oil at alll in the inner tie rod boots.
Yup. That one was a leaker too.

I guess you have nothing to lose.If that were me i would clean up the rack real good with break cleaner and hose it down and wipe.Check out the seals before you clean things up though and carefully inspect it and if there is something simple to replace just get done while everything is out of the car.Im in a process of my wifes Ford Fusion steering leak as well..thought it was the output shaft seal leaking and thats a two hour job sitting on my butt doing the work.Thankfully it wasnt and turned out to be the power steering pressure switch and a five minute job..part is on order.Keep us posted on your rack..best of luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back