What is this "Mighty" filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
I performed an oil change on a CRV yesterday for a friend. I got under the vehicle to find the drain bolt all rounded off to kingdom come. I serviced the oil 2 changes ago and the bolt was in fine condition. JL did the last 2 changes.

So I go to AZ and buy a new drain bolt and then headed to JL and asked them to perform a Goodwill service and they agreed and replaced the drain bolt. I told them to just put it on with a torque wrench and they set it for ~15 ft/lb.

I went home and drained the oil and then reached for the oil filter and just barely touched it and it spun right off? So loose it was probably leaking driving down the road. Wow. Here is the filter.

2rzbgnc.jpg

The thing is tiny! But the gasket is actually larger than the PH3593a filter that is speced for this model. It does say that it is made in USA, but what the heck is this Mighty Engine Guard II??? And does anyone know if this is even the proper filter in Mighty's lineup for a CRV?

Many of the cheap jobber filters consolidate filters, using the smallest can that will fit with the same gasket and thread. Probably a Purolator, likely a group 7 clone, which is similar if not identical to a Classic.

For example, they'll specify the 14612 size for 14610 and 14459 as well. (In Fram sizes, they use a 6607 for 7317 and 3593a)

AAP's Driveworks does the same.

Did I read that right? ... you had JL do a service (and put in the new plug), then went home and drained the oil and removed the filter?
21.gif

The only service they did was remove the old bolt and put in the new bolt I purchased at AutoZone. Yes there was plenty of (3k mile) dirty oil drained at home.

That piece of garbage is a Purolator. I cut one just like it this morning at 4:00 am and it was torn in 2 spots. Please use a FRAM tough guard or ultra. Mighty, pro motive, pro line are Purolator trash. More info, please see my cut and posts as I must have 30+

So this Mighty filter is on par with a Fram Ultra?

From site: "Filter media provides both superior paper area along with a high efficiency rating, filtering out damaging particles as small as 5 microns"

^^^ LoL ... maybe catches ten 5 micron particle out of every thousand 5 micron particles.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ LoL ... maybe catches ten 5 micron particle out of every thousand 5 micron particles.

Catches all of them when it gets clogged. /Sarcasm

Last edited:
looks like a pretty painted tearolater put a wix on it or maybe a fram ultra if the price is good i think they still have a $2.00 rebate

OK, it looks like it may be Purolator made. Doesn't look too bad, no tears I can find. Just TINY! Base end plate fell right off but I don't think that matters when in service.

ipcwwl.jpg

291p7ib.jpg

ua240.jpg

i5vw28.jpg

dw9zwp.jpg

5l9myt.jpg

dwf95t.jpg

2zr10qp.jpg

Looks ok to me, got the job done. As for the size, the 14612/6607 shorty (thus the 4612) is used by many quick lubes and indies as a downsized/consolidated application for the 14610/7317 and sometimes as in this case the even larger 14459/3593a size. This is jobber filter decision, Mighty in this case.

And while I've never had an issue with 14610 size, using anecdotes here, the 14612 seems not to suffer from the tear issue.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
How did Jiffy change drainplug and not drain the oil?

Probably backed the oil plug out, then jammed in a tapered rubber plug to keep the oil in. Then had the new plug ready, took the rubber plug out and threaded the new plug in. It could be done without losing a cup of oil.

The 14612 is not known for the same issues that is plaguing the longer version of the same filter, the 14610.

I would have no problems using and recommending the 14612.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
How did Jiffy change drainplug and not drain the oil?

Cleaner than a rubber /new plug swap out from below with a full sump is to just suck it out the dipstick tube and pour it back in after you change the plug and or filter.

A quick top off from the "mystery barrel gun" and you are back on the road.

You could do that at home in 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back