2015 Civic CVT sealed system, no maint required??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
No transmission especially a CVT is going to last 10 to 12 years. But I would change the fluid so often. A manual transmission would have been better if you want to keep it that long.

I have seen transmissions go 20 years and 200+ thousand miles when you keep them serviced conservatively.

The transmissions of my 1994 LS400 with 370k miles is original, no problem what-so-ever. I changed ATF no more than 3 times in its life, around 100k miles each change.

I've said it again and I'll say it before:

There is no such thing as "lifetime fill" or "maintenance-free" when it comes to transmissions. All the manufacturer cares about is making through the warranty. If that's all YOU care about, then your car is maintenance-free...it's the next owner who pays.

So what about coolant in the 2015 Civic?? Honda is claiming to change at 100K. Is that waiting too long also?

So what about coolant in the 2015 Civic?? Honda is claiming to change at 100K. Is that waiting too long also?

Originally Posted By: flinter

This is another Maintenance Minder item and Honda doesn't define what a usual service life is. I don't think 100,000 miles is specified anywhere - is this another bit of information from your well-informed service manager?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Drain / refill every 30K miles. Buy a case of CVT fluid and its not that expensive.

I can't say what Honda CVT fluid costs, but Nissan and Amsoil CVT is far from "not that expensive." At least in my book. Far less costly than replacing a unit, yes.

Originally Posted By: flinter

No, probably not. I think Honda's "long life" blue coolant was previously marketed as being 10 year/120,000 mile coolant before the Maintenance Minder came onto the scene. Coolant is one of those fluids I do a simple drain/fill every 50,000 miles.

Every 5K: engine oil
Every 25K: drain/fill PSF, ATF/MTF, other driveline if applicable
Every 50K: drain/fill coolant and brake fluid exchange

I keep intervals on those multiples on the odometer, so I'm never guessing when something is due. One of our vehicles has a Maintenance Minder and the other does not. When the light comes on, I see what the code is and then just reset it -- I've likely already done the service anyway, on my own schedule.

I like keeping fluids fresh, and I prefer vehicles that make that easy. Hondas have easy-to-use sump drain and fill plugs on everything, and that's one of the reasons I seem to own them lately. I raise my hand and admit that I change some of these fluids too often, but it's easy (and inexpensive) therapy out in the garage. What's not to like??
smile.gif

We bought a 2014 Accord EX-L w/CVT for my wife to drive mostly highway miles to/from work. I changed the CVT fluid at 10K, 20K, and 30K miles. That first change, the fluid came out black but still translucent. The second drain/fill was dark but not as dark as the 10K drain/fill. The 30K change looked dark amber; Honda HCF-2 CVT fluid is a golden amber like the color of honey. I got a case of 12 shipped from H and A for $118 and some change. I measured what I took out and refilled with the same amount + 1-2 oz. and did the level check IAW Honda check procedure. (3.7 quarts) Maybe this change sequence sounds over the top for some, but I flushed all the break-in debris out and have nice fresh, stout fluid in there. There were some issues with the 2013's so I wanted to be pro active. Wife likes it...if she is happy, I'm happy; Honda is happy.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
No transmission especially a CVT is going to last 10 to 12 years. But I would change the fluid so often. A manual transmission would have been better if you want to keep it that long.

huh? Someone tell that to the CVT in my Freestyle. It's almost 11 years old with 175K on the clock and it drives like new. My neighbor has over 260K on his 10 year old Freestyle, original transmission.

Don't know about the Civic, but given the frequency and cost of a clutch replacement on an Outback I'm willing to bet that long-term cost will be less w/the CVT than on a MT version.

I've changed the fluid regularly in mine (and my neighbors car). Not sure if that's really impacted the longevity or not, but it obviously hasn't hurt that I can tell.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Your dealer is wrong. Take a look in your Owner's Manual under the "Maintenance" section - code "3" will appear when a transmission fluid change is indicated. Like all Hondas, these numeric maintenance codes will accompany the "A" and "B" oil change/inspection notices.

The manual doesnt give a specific interval but does say the fluid should be changed every 25,000 miles under certain operating conditions.

So your dealer is scarily incompetent. Take your manual in and show it to him. Or maybe he's never seen one before.

Agreed, tho' I'd stay from that dealer if I could. Specifically see page 356 ("printed page" # is '355') in the full onwer's manual available here:
http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2015/Civic-Sedan/manuals

Kevin

Not sure about Honda, but many automakers can hook a sensor up to the CVT and measure the fluid's condition and whether it needs replacement. I imagine Honda is the same. I would go by that, at the interval specified by Honda, rather than some random guesswork on when or if to replace it. Many of these synthetic CVT fluids are very durable and robust

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
On these modern CVT's is the factory only interested in the warranty period? Whatever happens after that is not their problem? Is this a get through the EPA certification deal and not worry about the longer term prospects?

Yeah cause Honda is like VW and the old GM and doesn't give a hoot if your ever buy another Honda again. They have customers lined up for as far as the eye can see....

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I've said it again and I'll say it before:

There is no such thing as "lifetime fill" or "maintenance-free" when it comes to transmissions. All the manufacturer cares about is making through the warranty. If that's all YOU care about, then your car is maintenance-free...it's the next owner who pays.

cause again, Honda doesn't really want repeat customers....

Right on. On Nissans they use the Consult scanner to check for fluid deterioration. If its greater than 235k then its time to change it. I read on the Nissan and Infiniti site a fella had his scanned at 60k and the deterioration number was 56k. So it had plenty of life left in it. If Honda uses a scan tool gas well I would have it scanned every 30k. Like dlayman said these fluids are more robust so that they can last much longer than in years past.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: philipp10
cause again, Honda doesn't really want repeat customers....

Yes, yes, we all know Honda is perfect and would never, under any circumstances think of their bottom line
wink.gif

ah...a company thinking of their bottom line (long term) is usually thinking they want their cars to last long term (so they keep the customers they have). The auto world is way too competitive to think you can recommend sealed transmissions if they are going to fail. This isn't 1960 and GM has 60% of the market and customers as far as the eye can see...

In 5-10 years, every automaker is going to have to contend with Chinese built cars on top of the Koreans, Japanese, Germans, Mexico and the US.

Toyota is the same way with the Corolla CVT. Not sure about Subaru or others. Part of it is keeping the cost-to-own figures that are reported on Edmund's, CR, etc. low. Also, I think that so many people leasing cars is a factor too. There is little likelihood of any CVT problem from lack of maintenance during the lease period. Then the customer turns the leased vehicle in and leases another because they had no trouble and the costs were low on their last one.

Its not just CVt's either. Many conventional automatics now have "lifetme fluid"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlayman
Toyota is the same way with the Corolla CVT. Not sure about Subaru or others. Part of it is keeping the cost-to-own figures that are reported on Edmund's, CR, etc. low. Also, I think that so many people leasing cars is a factor too. There is little likelihood of any CVT problem from lack of maintenance during the lease period. Then the customer turns the leased vehicle in and leases another because they had no trouble and the costs were low on their last one.

Its not just CVt's either. Many conventional automatics now have "lifetme fluid"

The "cost to own" numbers seem to be the claim people make for these lifetime changes. May be somewhat true but it also seems hard to believe Toyota would stake their reputation on trannys by recommending less then necessary fluid changes. I don't buy it. A trans fluid change costs what, $100 every 50k miles? Amortoritized out, this is pennies. I don't buy your argument at all.

I'd like to see the look on a dealer service writer's face or hear what they have to say if you take your late model ~30K mile, CVT equipped vehicle in to them for a fluid change. Pretty sure most of them will shy away from it or talk you out of it- mostly due to fear of the unknown and misinformation.

I personally like the idea of periodic ATF changes, pan drops, etc.. but 30K miles is a bit early IMO.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I'd like to see the look on a dealer service writer's face or hear what they have to say if you take your late model ~30K mile, CVT equipped vehicle in to them for a fluid change. Pretty sure most of them will shy away from it or talk you out of it- mostly due to fear of the unknown and misinformation.

I personally like the idea of periodic ATF changes, pan drops, etc.. but 30K miles is a bit early IMO.

Honda recommends at the symbol 3 service, which is still around 30k based on how you drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back