DOW is taking a slide....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice how the "experts" are telling the small fry not to sell...they ALWAYS say this, just before the bottom drops out.
Ever notice this? Remember 2008?

What a freaking ponzi scheme.

This looks like the calm before the storm, I say the market
drops a couple of thousand points during the next month or two.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Notice how the "experts" are telling the small fry not to sell...they ALWAYS say this, just before the bottom drops out.
Ever notice this? Remember 2008?

What a freaking ponzi scheme.

This looks like the calm before the storm, I say the market
drops a couple of thousand points during the next month or two.

Seriously? Pure horse poop.

Investing is a long term activity. Periods when stock markets drop represent extraordinary opportunities for investors to buy stocks on sale at a deep discount. The 5% drop this weeks means absolutely nothing to long term investors who did not sell stocks this week. Smart money understands that they only thing that matters is what price you get at the time you actually sell your stock. I have been investing in equity market for 25+ years...I love periods when the market drops.

Last edited:
I love down markets, I did great in real estate during the rescission and now I want to get into the stock market.

Buying a market at a high value is just as dumb as trying to time them. When you buy a stock or index fund the value matters little until you want to sell it. If I put $10k into an Vangard index fund next week when the dow is down, and it tanks another 1k points that's great! That means the sale is on and I can buy more at a lower price! If it goes up you make a gain on paper.

Come on this is an oil forum, if I buy Mobil 1 on sale this week for $4 a quart and next week its on super sale for $2 does that make my $4 a quart oil a horrible deal? No both are solid buys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
if I buy Mobil 1 on sale this week for $4 a quart and next week its on super sale for $2 does that make my $4 a quart oil a horrible deal?

Yes it does...because if you waited a week...you could have gotten 2 for the price of 1.

No worries. Any folks thinking about buying energy stocks/EFT as it keeps goes lower and lower ?

Luckily I sold VDE (Vanguard Energy ETF) at $117.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No worries. Any folks thinking about buying energy stocks/EFT as it keeps goes lower and lower ?

Not yet...

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$WTIC

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Thinking about it!

The market is like predicting the weather.

If it's January and someone asks what the weather will be like in two weeks, no one really has any idea. It could be colder or it could be warmer. However if someone asks what the weather will be like in July, I can confidently say it will be warmer than it is in January.

If you're in the market you should be in for the long term; you'll see cycles of up and down. But historically there is far more up than there is down, and there's no reason to believe that will change.

When the market is down it's a buying opportunity. The last recession created some of the best sale prices in a very long time. Of course, if people had their money invested in "oil stashes" then they couldn't take advantage of a real investment. A few years after the recession, stock prices were at some of the highest levels ever seen, and it was the perfect opportunity to sell and move money into less volatile investments. If the market does take another swing, it will be a great opportunity to once again buy low and then when it rebounds, sell high.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
the Mother of All Corrections has been commenced

Says the mother of all chicken littles.

Invest __ % every paycheck for 25-30 years and you'll do just fine if you stay diversified. I put 30% in the total stock market, but if I see some opportunities it put some money in it.

The market is following commodities IMO. I put as much of my 401K into cash as possible 4 weeks ago. Sold all my stock several months ago at their highs. The person I listen to, has 3 things that have to happen before the market is ready to buy again.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Is that so?

Tell that to the folks at the plunge protection team.

The "market" is rigged, and has been so since forever.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Is that so?

Tell that to the folks at the plunge protection team.

The "market" is rigged, and has been so since forever.
27.gif

OK, so let's assume you're correct and the market is rigged. How then, do you invest your own money? I.e. How do you plan/accumulate for your future?

If by rigged he means riddled with insider trading while us suckers on the outside are stuck just hoping after they're done raiding the coffers we're left with a few scraps, then yeah I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back