Need one oil for my fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP, 2.0l DI Turbo
2009 Pontiac G8 GT, 6.0l L76 DOD V8
2009 Dodge Caravan 3.3l V6

The Sol gets the most miles, daily driven 15 minutes to work, and then again 35 minutes to my wife's work. Both highway.

The G8 gets mostly 10-20 minute trips, mostly city. It also gets infrequent LONG highway runs.

The Caravan gets some short trips, and the rest LONG highway trips. It gets the least miles now, but we keep it around for family trips.

I am running PUP in the G8 right now, but want to avoid it in the Sol for the Calcium and DI. The Sol was just purchased and is about to get it's first oil change (by me anyways). The van was just changed with PYB.

Biggest thing is a consistent top off oil, the Sol and the Van both need occasion top offs and I don't want a variety of oils around. Plus it's just easier.

The G8 is an 9 quart sump, so I'm avoiding RP, AMSOIL and the like, but it is Dexos so synthetic always goes in.

My first thought is T6. A bit thicker, but all should handle it well I would think. M1 is always the fallback, but I'm just not convinced to be honest.

Just want to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Any synthetic 5w30 that meets dexos standards

+1

M1 would be the easiest....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

+1

Yup and always keep an extra jug around for top offs. Easy and simple.

No need for a thicker oil in any of those at all.

Yeah I think the Pennzoil Synthetic blend which is $18 at Wally world is a solid choice. Or Quaker State full synthetic for $21.97 before tax is also a good bet. You can find Havoline at times on sale for $22.99 5 qts at o Reilly's. I am running the Pennzoil Synthetic blend. I have been pleased so far
smile.gif

I'd agree, any dexos approved 5W-30 will work great for all those vehicles. M1 is probably the most obvious choice. QSUD is a great value for a full synthetic.

If you have a Menards nearby, watch their ads. They have QSUD on sale for $2.99 a quart after rebate quite regularly.

What about Schaeffer's Supreme 9000™ Full Synthetic Engine Oil?

There ins't a lot of information here on Schaeffer's oil but from what I have read, it seems like good oil. It is Dexos approved and available in 5W-30. I am planning on using it in both my Nissans at the next OCI.

Probably going to avoid Schaeffers, I would like to run something I have a good chance of finding if I'm on a road trip. I'm not opposed to mixing by any means, but why do it if it can be avoided.

Of course M1 is a solid choice, but I just don't want to run it if I can help it. Not sure why, maybe because at this point it feels like group think. Or I just like going against the crowd.

QSUD, Valvoline Synpower, and Castrol Edge are interesting choices, I will need to look into them further.

I like the Schaeffer. Not sure why one would worry about finding it on the road. Carry a quart, or if you are going thru so much of the stuff you need more, then why use any decent synthetic at that point. I regularly travel around to surrounding states all the time and never worry about using Schaeffer. I know is sounds quaint, but just something I was brought up on... carrry some extra oil, coolant, decent set of tools, windshield washer fluid, etc.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

+1

+2 on this. Walmart jugs would keep you fully stocked.

Pick any namebrand oil 5-30 and use it.
It doesn't need to be dexos unless you want some of your money going into GMs deep pockets.
You are making this harder than it needs to be.

Since about every name-brand sythetic is dexos1 approved, you will automatically be using a dexos1 oil whether you want to or not. Assimilate already!!
02.gif
hee-hee

All great advice up there. If you want the best, I'd use either Castrol Edge Extended Performance gold jug (Walmart ez availability) or, of course, M1 Extended Performance, for that extra margin of TBN retention we all think we want.... Just change according to the GM OLM, thats a great computer algorithm which does a good predictive job. (The Chrysler, make it every 6 to 12 months depending on driving cycles, you know.)

I've noticed Pennzoil Platinum is easy to find, a good choice too. Walmarts always seem to stock it, and other places too, its everywhere (OK, not at Red Lobster, no, not there...)

Originally Posted By: SR5
If you want a full synthetic 5W30 with low calcium. I would run Castrol Edge 5W30.According to PQIA it the has lowest calcium levels ( ~ 750 ppm) of all the synthetics they tested. The average is about 2000 ppm for Ca, so this is much lower.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/castroledgesyn.htm

They changed the Edge formula; Now they use calcium a lot like almost everybody else.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Originally Posted By: SR5
If you want a full synthetic 5W30 with low calcium. I would run Castrol Edge 5W30.According to PQIA it the has lowest calcium levels ( ~ 750 ppm) of all the synthetics they tested. The average is about 2000 ppm for Ca, so this is much lower.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/castroledgesyn.htm

They changed the Edge formula; Now they use calcium a lot like almost everybody else.

Drat !!! Thanks ExMachina

OK, use any name brand synthetic that takes your fancy, or grab the name brand that is on sale at the moment M1, PP, Edge, SynPower, etc

Like ExMachina says, you can take it up a notch, and use Long Life / Extended Performance versions of the above if you want. I do, but that's just me.

Given they are all good, the question is do you want to chase the sales & discounts and often swap brands (depending on the deal on offer), or do you want to find a brand you like and stick with it.

I tend to explore a little, find something that works for me, and then stick with it for the long term. Castrol Edge and Valvoline SynPower have often served me well. (Nothing wrong with the others )

Just swapped out PP for PUP in the G8, it probably won't get it's next change until ~June of next year (OLM had me running 10k and 8 months). I wish to avoid PP or PUP in the Sol however due to calcium.

Speaking of OLM, all three will be changed when the OLM hits near zero, I won't be second guessing the computer and I'm not dealing with running them over and keeping track of all three cars. It also makes extended performance oils seem superfluous.

As for deal hunting, I probably won't, or if I do it will be purchase months ahead of time. If I catch a deal I will buy, otherwise I will just buy my specific brand when I need to do a change.

As for Dexos, well as it has been said, all major brands are certified so why not run it. I have no problem putting a non Dexos oil in (technically my cars don't use 'Dexos' oil, but the GM cert before Dexos), but there are plenty of reasonably priced options that are so why not.

TiredTrucker, I hear ya, and I usually carry some when traveling, and tools. Still, it has happened, and will probably happen again, where I was half a quart low and had used up my spare without replacing it. None of them burn much, but enough that I know to keep an eye on it.

Some good options here for me to look into further. At least I can do some digging on UOA's and VOA's now to get a start. Still open to other options if anybody has any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back