No Sound After Windows 10 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bud_One

Site Donor 2022
Anyone else experience this ?
Updated my wife's laptop yesterday. From Windows 7
Realized today that the sound is not working for anything - headphones also are not working.
All drivers are up to date and current.
I've manually uninstalled them and let the system install them to no avail.
All help online regarding the issue are not working.

21.gif

Went from Windows 7 to Windows 10, no problems detected yet. I do run a multiple boot machine with Windows and Ubuntu.

Do you have Microsoft Windows 10 Build 10130? If not go find it.

Right click on the Sound icon to open any available playback devices

Choose your device

Navigate to Properties and click on Advanced

Choose the bitrate higher/lower

Reboot

If this does not work then it's time to go fishing.

Originally Posted By: Danno
What model of laptop?

HP G60-507DX Notebook

Playback device is Conexant Pebble High Definition SmartAudio.
Everything has been showing that it is working. Yet when I do a sound test it states no audio was sent and gives an error.

Tried looking for drivers manually. Looks like I may have to downgrade to 7 .
No updated drivers were available for Windows 8 from what info I can dig up.
Apparently this was an issue with the transfer to Windows 8 as well.

I'm going to try what OneEyeJack recommended - selection by selection with a reboot each time. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Quote:
It’s easy to recommend Windows 10 as an upgrade for anyone on Windows 7 and Windows 8, but maybe not just yet. "Wait for service pack 1" has always been the default advice for new versions and Windows, and it absolutely applies here. During my testing on a variety of hardware, I’ve run into a lot of bugs and issues — even with the version that will be released to consumers on launch day. Some range from basic problems like app icons on the task bar disappearing, all the way up to my audio randomly failing or blue screens. I don’t own every PC configuration out there, but as I look at others expressing frustration over these odd issues on Twitter, it’s clear I’m not alone. Even during Microsoft’s review demonstration of Windows 10, a PC rebooted due to a blue screen.

Keep in mind that W10 is NOT fully debugged nor complete. MS chose to release it this way as opposed to earlier versions. It truly is a work in progress, thus don't expect everything to work as it used to....until later.

Quote:
Everything about Windows 10 feels like a new approach for Microsoft, and I’m confident these early bugs and issues will be addressed fairly quickly. I’m hoping and expecting that as we approach the holiday season, we’ll see a more finished Windows 10. If you can deal with a few oddities here and there and you’re frustrated with Windows 8, then by all means upgrade now. But if you depend on your Windows computer on a daily basis and it’s working fine for you, you should hold off until everything is a little more polished. Microsoft is rolling out daily updates at the moment, so it might only be a matter of weeks until things are fixed. Windows 10 is a work in progress, and it’s at the early part of its life right now.

happened on my dell tablet. seems the w10 upgrade installs its own drivers
which could be later but not correct. Check driver status which may
indicate it needs troubleshooting. the "rollback" option may/may not work.

check your manufacturer's website for latest drivers, and/or bios upgrades
for windows 10.

for the Dell venue 8 Pro, all it needed was a11 BIOS upgrade. sound came back.

Bob

Originally Posted By: TTK
Went from Windows 7 to Windows 10, no problems detected yet...

Same here. My HP laptop seems to be working 100% properly at this time. It originally ran Vista but it came with a free upgrade to Windows 7 offer when I bought it. I upgraded to Windows 7 about 6 months later when the OS disc came in the mail.

I consider it very lucky that the upgrade to Windows 10 went as well as it did. Took forever but no issues like the OP's. Well, yet or that I can see anyway but who knows if I have missed something???
shocked2.gif

Give this a shot and see if it helps. Control panel, sound, click on the speakers then properties.
In the enhancements tab check the disable all enhancements box, reboot and test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back