MY 2014 Audi 3.0 TDI UOA, high soot set aside

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2014 Audi 3.0 TDI with 180Kw CDUD engine indicates that the engine oil gets a high soot content. Using VCDS you may find the value "Soot Index". This "Soot Index" is calculated by the ECU and is presented in Km. Shortly spoken this value is twice as high as the actual driven distance. When I change the oil at 15K Km, the Soot Index value is 30K Km. Therefore I sent a sample to Blackstone Laboratories and asked them to analyse the soot content. The result sets aside that there is a problem with high soot levels. Only 0,2% Soot was measured. Otherwise the report indicates that the engine is still not completely broken in with elevated Iron particles. TBN was also good. I guess I could have extended the drain interval, but will stick with 15K Km at least until the engine is broken in.

EQUIP. MAKE/MODEL: AUDI 3.0 TDI
FUEL TYPE: DIESEL
ADDITIONAL INFO:
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Mobil 1 ESP 5W/30
OIL USE INTERVAL: 16,178 KM
MI ON UNIT: 29,923 KM

Since this is just the second oil change for your Audi, we are probably still seeing some material in the oil leftover from the wear-in process. New engines always leave excess metal and silicon (from sealers) in the oil and it can take a few changes to wash out, so we doubt your levels are a problem. Universal averages show normal wear after about 10,000 km use on the oil. The oil itself was in good shape physically. Some active additive was still left with a TBN of 2.8 and soot was low at just 0.2%. Check back in another 16,000 km to see improvements.

ALUMINUM 9/16
CHROMIUM 3/2
IRON 92/44
COPPER 8/5
LEAD 1/1
TIN 1/1
MOLYBDENUM 70/14
NICKEL 1/2
MANGANESE 2/1
SILVER 0/0
TITANIUM 1/1
POTASSIUM 10/7
BORON 88/48
SILICON 11/6
SODIUM 4/4
CALCIUM 1119/1610
MAGNESIUM 11/40
PHOSPHORUS 658/713
ZINC 795/843
BARIUM 0/0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11,07/9,4-11,9
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 63,0/57-65
Flashpoint in °F 465/>410
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0/0
Water % 0/ Insolubles % 0,1/ TBN 2,8/>1,0

Stop driving that car "american way" below 2000 rpms...
smile.gif

welcome2.gif

Not to worry. UOA done this early almost always show elevated levels of wear-in material which only make the the owner worry prematurely. At 29,000 km you might now be on the cusp of break-in and UOA wear levels will begin to trend downward.

VW/Audi engines seem to have notoriously long break in periods, with elevated wear elements continuing long past what we think of as a traditional break-in interval.

Blackstone acknowledges this when they write "Universal averages show normal wear after about 10,000 km use on the oil. The oil itself was in good shape physically...and soot was low at just 0.2%."

I think you will continue to see continued slightly elevated wear elements over the next few samples, but trending downward. I agree with your decision to not extend the oil change interval until iron declines. No worries here in my opinion, enjoy your Audi.

And welcome to the forum.
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Stop driving that car "american way" below 2000 rpms...
smile.gif

I wish I could, but the S-Tronic tends to shift up a bit to early in my opinion. It actually shifts up to 7th gear as early as 80 km/h and keeps high enough gears to keep the rpms at 12-1300 rpms at the different speeds. I feared / thought low rpms combined with Norwegian low speed limits and freaking cold winters actually did cause high soot levels, but the UOA sets this aside. To my great satisfaction

My alfa is the same with regards to the shifts, unless I keep the driveline in sports mode.

No soot here either.

Can you recognise a dpf regen when it's happening? as long as your driving conditions stay the same the regen interval is a good indication of the soot being produced. Long intervals = little soot and also less soot in the oil.

Just out of curiosity can you share with us how much in taxes one has to pay to buy the Audi in Norway? One of my reps there paid beaucoup money years ago to buy a Civic and I 'm curious if things remain in such a state there.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Can you recognise a dpf regen when it's happening?

No, I can`t recon it while I am driving. And I am above average interested in cars :) However, if the regen is ongoing when you come to a full stop in "P" the idle rpms are 50 rpm higher (775-825). And if the engine is then stopped (I always try to avoid that) then the electric fans are running flat out for a few minutes to cool down the engine room.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Just out of curiosity can you share with us how much in taxes one has to pay to buy the Audi in Norway? One of my reps there paid beaucoup money years ago to buy a Civic and I 'm curious if things remain in such a state there.

Yes I can. In fact I imported this car brand new from UK. Bought it from Audi Tax Free in Watford. At that time the value of the Norwegian currency was very high and I saved quite a bit on the car. As of August 2013 I paid NOK 314.900,- in taxes on the car (including VAT). The tax regime in Norway is punishing high emissions, weight and horsepowers. All of them in an exponential way.

I always so enjoyed visiting in Norway but never failed to be astonished ny the costs of everything. I especially recall paying 16USD for a beer at the hotel. However I was always a hero for bringing two quarts of good duty free Scotch to the Air Force guys.
grin.gif
Wonderful people and welcome to this community.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mmosberg
Originally Posted By: DeepFriar

Yes I can. In fact I imported this car brand new from UK. Bought it from Audi Tax Free in Watford. At that time the value of the Norwegian currency was very high and I saved quite a bit on the car. As of August 2013 I paid NOK 314.900,- in taxes on the car (including VAT). The tax regime in Norway is punishing high emissions, weight and horsepowers. All of them in an exponential way.

That's about $40,000 in taxes alone at current forex rates! Better thee than me sir.

Originally Posted By: mmosberg
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Can you recognise a dpf regen when it's happening?

No, I can`t recon it while I am driving. And I am above average interested in cars :) However, if the regen is ongoing when you come to a full stop in "P" the idle rpms are 50 rpm higher (775-825). And if the engine is then stopped (I always try to avoid that) then the electric fans are running flat out for a few minutes to cool down the engine room.

I can see it from the boost gauge, the engine runs richer than normal (less boost), and by the fuel consumption gauge whih will be indicating arounnd double the normal consuption and doesn't want to drop to 0 on throttle lift-of. the exhaust note is a bit different aswell (noticeable at higher speeds vs quiet when not in regen).

The fans are also on when the regen is happening, but shut off with the ignition. The fans are actually used to increase the load on the engine (through the alternator) so that less fuel needs to be injected during the exhaust stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back