need your opinion on tires.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the truck, consider the General Grabber AT2. Priced between the cheap no-names you're considering and the Toyos.

And for the car, Dunlop Signature II or Kumho Solus TA71.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Continental DWS. Or if available in ur size continental tru contact. I have the tru contacts on my impala and they are the best tire i have had for the wet and snow. I can b doing 70+ in the rain and u can't tell the difference in wet or dry. And in the snow it just tears through it with no problem.

Tire rack has a raiting of 9/10 for the tru contacts and a 90k warranty.
I have 4 in 205-65-15 on a Camry. Very good tires, good wet and snow traction and run at a low slip angle so the steering has good feel.

Originally Posted By: BamaDiver
hello to all,

two part question and both are tires

1) My wife has a 12 Honda accord coupe 4cy. i bought it with mismatching tires. i do not like mismatching tires.(two are Chinese [censored])....

If you had to buy tires today.....what name brand would you buy? This will be the first time I'm buying 225 50 r17...so i could use your help.
I would like to have long wear, quietness and smooth ride....basically i guess you'd say a touring tire.

thanks for your time
BD

I've done a fair amount of reading on this size/category tire because it is the same size as my mom's Fusion and they also want their tires to last.

I love Continental and I've read a lot of very good things about the PurcContact and the Pirelli Cinturato P7. They are both relatively reasonably priced, on the higher side but still no Michelin prices. Both also come with 70,000mile warranties. AAAAANNDDDD the Pirelli comes with a 30 day trial period and the Continental has a 60 day trial period.

Continental DWS. Or if available in ur size continental tru contact. I have the tru contacts on my impala and they are the best tire i have had for the wet and snow. I can b doing 70+ in the rain and u can't tell the difference in wet or dry. And in the snow it just tears through it with no problem.

I can vouch for the DWSs as well. I had a set on my C350. Loved them. I sold it before i wore them out though so I don't know how they were at 3, 4 or even 5/32nds.

1) Probably whatever name brand is on sale.

2) I have Nexan Roadian MTs on my 1994 Ranger, in that size. They are surprisingly quiet for an MT, but there is some drone at highway speeds and they behave like you would expect an MT to on wet pavement. It's a very good budget mud tire, but it's still a mud tire. This truck doesn't get driven a ton, so I can't comment on wear yet.

JwYg8DV.jpg

I have Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts on my 2002 Ranger now because they were a good deal for the quality of tire at the time. In my opinion though, they are not as good as Firestone Destination A/Ts I have had before in sizes from 225/70R15 to 31x10.50x15 on Rangers/Explorers. That is my favorite all terrain tire by far. Quiet, great in snow, great in rain, good in mud, decent value, decent tread wear, etc.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I have 4 in 205-65-15 on a Camry. Very good tires, good wet and snow traction and run at a low slip angle so the steering has good feel.

Couldn't ask 4 a better wet and snow tire with the tru contacts. Next vehicle is gonna get the same tire 4 sure even if tires are brand new. 20k on them and still got 8/32 of tread left on a 90k tire.

Last edited:
I've looked at so many tires in the last couple of days. I'm leaning to the cooper discoverer at3. I saw a new set on a ford ranger and they looked very good.

BD

+1. Just bought the TruContact in June and they are the best tires I've experienced. Even the wife noticed the upgrade. The LRR works really well. "I have to remember to release the gas alot sooner." said the wifey. The tires are very smooth, quiet and has an 800 treadwear rating. Can't beat that.

Go for the best Continental/General product, the Pure Contacts (with EcoPlus! lol). These can often be found on sale for very close to the same as lesser tires. If these are too pricey, get the True Contacts or the RT-43, in that order.

When i bought my car it had worn down kumho ecstas that handled really well and were decently comfortable. Replaced them with yokohama yk580's because i wanted something that resisted hydroplaning. Took them on a torrential downpour on the highway and at 120 km/hr they did well, didnt push them any farther as i had family in the car. They feel like im drifting when i take corners at high speed though (like 40 - 50 km/hr around a corner) , likely due to the low rolling resistance, and they feel bouncy over everything. I dont find them to be noisy.

For my old 98 Civic I had some Michelin Defenders for years and never had any issues with tread wear and they handled pretty good in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back